Rolling Stones

Started by modage, July 31, 2003, 06:04:41 PM

SoNowThen

Yeah that's great news........BUT....

is it Godard's version (which is called One Plus One) or is it the hack-job version that caused JLG to punch out his producer at the Cannes premier?

They put the full version of Sympathy at the end, and changed the title to basically sell it to teeny-boppers, and lost the point of what Godard was trying to equate by tipping the scales in favor of the Stones. As much as I'm nuts about the band, it ruins the point of the movie. So here's to hoping that this will finally be the right version...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

mogwai

does anyone know where i can get hold of a good documentary of the stones?

and yes... i've seen "gimme shelter".

SoNowThen

only two I can think of:

Hal Ashby's concert doc (which I think was called Let's Spend The Night Together)

and

a bootleg copy of Cocksucker Blues
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

mogwai

Quote from: SoNowThena bootleg copy of Cocksucker Blues
yeeeah right...

i was thinking of a doc that chronicles their shit from the start and until keith richards had enough of mick jagger. i remember a doc i saw when i was young, don't remember any titles or so.

modage

Quote from: SoNowThena bootleg copy of Cocksucker Blues
oh yeah, my uncle told me about that.  i almost got one a year or so ago off ebay because i really wanted to see it, but gave up for some reason.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Rolling Stones' drummer Watts has cancer
Source: Reuters

LONDON -- The Rolling Stones' 63-year-old drummer Charlie Watts is suffering from throat cancer but should recover after radiotherapy, a band spokesman said.

Watts was diagnosed in June after a minor operation and is now reaching the end of his treatment at a London hospital, the spokesman said on Saturday in a statement to media.

"He's expected to make a full recovery and start work with the rest of the band later in the year," he added.

Watts, who has a reputation as the quietest member of the legendary British band, gave up smoking decades ago.

"He's very positive because he's been told he has every chance of being completely cured," a family friend was quoted as saying in The Mail on Sunday newspaper.

"The last thing he wants is everyone calling and making a fuss, thinking he's going to die."

The spokesman said Watt's treatment had not interfered with any of the Stones' tour or recording plans. The rest of the group were "relaxing between work commitments," he said.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

mogwai

i wish him a speedy recover and all, but it's strange that he gets hit with cancer in the band. keith richards, whom i loathe, smokes three cartons of cigs a day and is still here. bastard!

relax, i'm just joking.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Case of 1969 Altamont Stabbing Closed

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050526/ap_on_re_us/altamont_case_closed

OAKLAND, Calif. - Nearly 36 years after a man was stabbed to death during a Rolling Stones concert at Altamont Speedway, investigators have closed the case, dismissing a theory that a second Hells Angel took part in the killing.

Meredith Hunter, 18, was killed during the free concert on Dec. 6, 1969. The show, which drew an estimated 300,000 people, was billed as the "Woodstock of the West," but the death helped bring to an end the image of the peace-and-love '60s. The concert, and the stabbing, were captured on film in the 1970 documentary "Gimme Shelter."

As the Stones played on stage, a member of the Hells Angels motorcycle gang, hired by the band to provide security, attacked, stabbed and killed Hunter.

Alan Passaro was acquitted after a jury concluded he acted in self-defense because Hunter was carrying a gun. But there had been rumors over the years that a second unidentified assailant had inflicted the fatal wounds, and the case remained open.

But Alameda County sheriff's Sgt. Scott Dudek said Wednesday that after a renewed investigation over the past two years, authorities concluded that Passaro, who died in 1985, was the only person to stab Hunter and did so only after Hunter pointed a gun at the stage.

Dudek said Passaro's lawyer confirmed his client was the lone assailant. In addition, enhanced and slowed-down footage from the film shows Hunter brandishing the gun just before Passaro leaps from the stage and stabs him, Dudek said.

Hunter's relatives said Wednesday they had always held out hope that someone would be convicted in the case.

"The problem is the wounds that have been reopened are still devastating to the family," Hunter's sister, Dixie Ward, 63, told the San Francisco Chronicle.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

MacGuffin

Stones: Hello, ani 'Tuesday'

TORONTO -- The Rolling Stones, long identified with their lips-and-tongue logo, are about to get the cartoon treatment in "Ruby Tuesday," an animated film featuring 12 of their songs set to begin production later this year.

EuropaCorp. and Mick Jagger's Jagged Films are co-producing the project, which will be written and directed by Paul and Gaetan Brizzi. The story is described as "a Faustian tale of a single mother searching for happiness in New York." The film's song selection has not been finalized, though presumably the well-known title track will be included.

"After seeing their finale to 'Fantasia 2000,' it's clear the Brizzi brothers are the perfect animators to bring this story to life," said Hal Sadoff, ICM's head of independent and international film.

The Brizzis are best known for their animated French family adventure "Asterix vs. Caesar" and the "Firebird Suite" segment of "Fantasia 2000."

The Brizzis approached Jagged Films' Victoria Pearman with the idea for the film.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Rolling Stones Get Animated
Across the Universe scribes talk Tuesday.

Screenwriters Dick Clement and Ian La Frenais are working on another music-themed film to follow their Golden Globe-nominated Beatles tribute, Across the Universe.

The pair are collaborating on an animated movie called Ruby Tuesday that will feature the songs of The Rolling Stones, which Mick Jagger is producing. They recently dished some new details about the picture in an interview with the Movieweb.com website.

"It is going to be CGI," says La Frenais. "It will be interesting. The animation is actually going to be done in Paris. It will be some pretty hip animation."

The film, which Clement and La Frenais stress is not a strictly a children's movie, tells the story of a single mother looking for happiness in New York City. It will feature 12 songs by the Stones.

Filmmaking brothers Paul and Gaetan Brizzi will direct Ruby Tuesday. Animation enthusiasts will know them from their work on Fantasia 2000's "The Firebird Suite" segment.

Clement and La Frenais are currently making the rounds promoting The Bank Job, the forthcoming vintage-style heist thriller starring Jason Statham.

Skeleton FilmWorks