Started by polkablues, January 24, 2003, 02:41:14 PM

polkablues

Best actress of her generation?

Discuss.
My house, my rules, my coffee

©brad

what generation is she in again?

Jeremy Blackman

Great in Requiem, good in Dark City, ok in Pollock, mediocre in A Beautiful Mind. Haven't seen Waking the Dead (sorry).

MacGuffin

Quote from: mogwaiDude, you totally forgot "Labyrinth".

Dude, you also totally forgot "Once Upon A Time In America."  :wink:
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gold Trumpet

When did talk come up of her being the best? I thought she was the cutest maybe.........

~rougerum

polkablues

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetWhen did talk come up of her being the best?

When I said so.   8)

It sounds like none of you people have seen "Waking the Dead" or "Inventing the Abbots", so I suggest you hop to it.  My intense admiration for her acting ability comes mainly from those films and "Requiem".  And she is the cutest, too.  So she's got that going for her.[/b]

Gold Trumpet

Well, then I advertise the question:

"Is Samantha Morton the best actress of her generation?"

Sweet and Lowdown, Jesus' Son and Minority Report all feature great performances by her that have set the bar for acting by a female for today, in my humble *laughs* opinion.

Also, who could forget her in the pretentious music video for U2's "Electrical Storm" where she was able to act with the drummer, who pretended to be an actor and summed up the experience by saying, "She was yelling at me really loud." She just happened to be the only watchable thing for in that video.

~rougerum

life_boy

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: mogwaiDude, you totally forgot "Labyrinth".

Dude, you also totally forgot "Once Upon A Time In America."  :wink:

What about The Rocketeer?

I loved her in Requiem.  It disappoints me that all the attention she recieved was for her performance in A Beautiful Mind which hasn't got shit on Requiem for a Dream either in movie terms or in terms of her performance (in my opinion).  It would be nice to see her pick up some more great roles.

I do appreciate her taking the path of doing more 'serious' films rather than the shitty 'teen comedy' path she could have easily gone down (being as beautiful as she is).

polkablues

I'm going to revise my original statement.  Rather than calling her the best actress of her generation, maybe it's safer to say "best actress at her level of attractiveness."

I would fight to the death to make the point that there is no actress who is as attractive and as good an actress as Jennifer Connelly.

Well, maybe not to the death, but at least until somebody hurts their eye.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: polkabluesI would fight to the death to make the point that there is no actress who is as attractive and as good an actress as Jennifer Connelly.

Naomi Watts.

polkablues

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanNaomi Watts.

Equally hot.  Granted.  Not quite as good an actress, though.  Seriously, go see "Waking the Dead".

Good call, regardless.

Duck Sauce

Naomi Watts is way hotter

bonanzataz

Quote from: Duck SauceNaomi Watts is way hotter

no way.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

polkablues

Let's just say I wouldn't turn either one away.

Tommy Both