Igby Goes Down, WTF?!

Started by Derek237, June 30, 2003, 01:47:27 PM

Derek237

Okay, what the hell is with Igby Goes Down and its release?

1. In the U.S. it's available on DVD but not VHS. Simple enough. But, the VHS will be released in Feburary.

2. In Canada, it's available on VHS but not DVD, and the DVD comes out in Feburary.

3. It's still in theatres in the U.K.

Why?! Someone help me out here!  :shock:

Rudie Obias

\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

modage

umm, in the US (before the age of the dvd), typically movies were always available for rent months before you could buy them.  UNLESS, they were whats called "sell-through".  however, sell-thru movies were generally either disney or family releases or huge blockbuster movies.  this was because the home video sales market for vhs was not nearly what it is today with dvd.  (meaning, most people didnt buy that many movies).  if you DID want to buy a movie that was not sell-thru, you would have to pay about $100 for a vhs copy (which is what video stores paid per copy). only with the invention of dvd, the movie companies finally decided to make everything available for sale when it comes available on dvd for rent as well.  

generally movies are released at different times in different countries, (until recently with movies opening worldwide at the same time).

and, i'm not sure why canada doesnt have the dvd yet.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Cecil

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: rudieobigby is lame!

:yabbse-thumbup:

Thecowgoooesmooo

Yea, I ordered Igby, on netflix a couple days ago... It was lame, good word to describe the movie.

It had so much potential and it was a cool story but the dialogue and culkin were just lame.

chris

jokerspath

I saw this movie in the theatre and couldn't for the life of me remember if I liked it or not...

So I recently had a chance to see it again w/ a friend, who I insisted make time to watch this movie.  Forty minutes in I totally just brokedown and was like "I owe you an apology.  I could not have liked this movie the first time around and I'm sorry I've wasted your time.  You can go home now, I'm going to take a nap".  

So much cringe-worthy dialogue and the like.  I did remember appreciating the relationship between young Igby and his father (Pullman), esp. the scene where he is having a breakdown in the shower.  

Glad I didn't pay for it the second time...

aw
THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

Derek

Quote from: cecil b. dementedwe have the dvd.

what he said
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Can someone sum it up for me in more than just lame?

I don't mind spoilers, just what was it about?
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

MacGuffin

Quote from: Walrus, KookookajoobCan someone sum it up for me in more than just lame?

I don't mind spoilers, just what was it about?

http://xixax.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2132

http://xixax.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1451
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye