Spike Lee

Started by Ghostboy, June 26, 2003, 01:24:38 AM

MacGuffin

Spike Lee Not Out for Revenge at Venice Film Fest

Spike Lee isn't holding any grudges.

In an interview with Reuters, the acclaimed U.S. director rejected speculation he could use his position on the jury of the Venice Film Festival to take revenge on Wim Wenders for denying "Do the Right Thing" the Palme d'Or at Cannes.

"That was 1989, it's history," Lee said between screenings on the Lido.

But industry insiders have a good reason for asking.

After the Cannes jury headed by Wenders awarded Steven Soderbergh's "Sex, Lies and Videotape" the top prize that year, Lee accused the judges of bigotry.

He reportedly joked: "Somewhere in my closet I have a Louisville Slugger with (Wenders') name on it."

This time around, Wenders is competing at Venice with "Land of Plenty," a critical look at post-Sept. 11 America, while Lee sits on the jury bench.

But when asked if he would be influenced by the Cannes episode when "Land of Plenty" premiered on Thursday, Lee said "not at all."

Instead, the notoriously provocative director said he was just having fun soaking up all the movies.

"It's my first time ever on a jury at a festival," said Lee, sporting a pink Juventus soccer shirt and matching pink cap, as he relaxed on a terrace overlooking the beach.

"Rarely have I ever gone to a film not knowing at least something about it, who the director is, who's in it, you know, and I'm walking in blind for a large part of these films. It's a big change and I like it."

The jury, headed by Britain's John Boorman, will award the Golden Lion on Sept. 11. Twenty-two features are facing off in the main competition.

Lee said he was "making mental notes" about the films, but was playing his cards close to his chest.

He had plenty to say, however, about the recent string of American political films. The man who influenced the way African Americans are viewed with "Do the Right Thing" and "Malcolm X" called Michael Moore's new documentary "magnificent."

"November 3rd they'll be talking about how much effect 'Fahrenheit 9/11' had," Lee said, looking forward to U.S. presidential elections next month.

On the Lido, Lee himself was stirring things up with his new film "She Hate Me" about corporate fraud, sexual politics and greed, which is screening out of competition.

"This film could be used as a time capsule for the many bad things that are happening today in the United States of America," he said.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Keanu Reeves is The Night Watchman
Source: Variety November 16, 2004

Keanu Reeves will star in The Night Watchman for director Spike Lee and Bob Yari Productions, reports Variety. Reeves plans to begin production on the crime thriller shortly after he completes promotional duties for Warner Bros. Pictures on Constantine, opening February 18.

Written by James Ellroy, "Watchman" is the story of a disgraced cop who discovers corruption inside a police department and sets out on a mission to redeem himself.

Reeves will be seen in the upcoming Thumbsucker and also stars in Richard Linklater's A Scanner Darkly, the Philip K. Dick adaptation that Warner Independent Pictures will release next September.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

so.....is Keanu a good actor now?

cine

The Night Whoaman.

©brad

for some reason i just thought of cameron crowe firing ashton kutcher from that elizabethtown thing.

SiliasRuby

Quote from: ©bradfor some reason i just thought of cameron crowe firing ashton kutcher from that elizabethtown thing.
Me too, strange.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

MacGuffin

Lee: Black Representation Strong in Film

Filmmaker Spike Lee says black representation is stronger than ever on screens, big and small, but the true power in entertainment lies behind the camera.

"We have to get in gatekeeper positions," he said Tuesday. "We have to get those dual law and MBA degrees and work up the corporate ladder because everybody can't be an actor, everybody can't make a record."

Joining a discussion panel at his alma mater, Morehouse College, Lee led a retrospective of his films and shared his thoughts on the challenges facing blacks in the entertainment industry.

Acting is not where the power is, he said. "Even Denzel (Washington), he's getting $20 million a movie. But when it comes time to do a movie, he has to go to one of those gatekeepers."

Lee also told aspiring young filmmakers in the audience not to ignore nontraditional routes to getting a movie made, including raising funds independently and releasing movies straight to DVD.

"It's a huge market. It's not something that should be looked upon as a stepchild," the 47-year-old director said.

Tuesday's event coincided with the DVD release of Lee's "She Hate Me" and a special collector's edition DVD of his 1988 comedy, "School Daze," which was based on life at Atlanta's historically black colleges.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Spike Lee: Choose Happiness Over Money

Filmmaker Spike Lee told a crowd of college students that they should try to find a career that will make them happy, not necessarily one that will make them rich.

"Hopefully, you'll be able to find a career path that you love and be able to make a living out of that," Lee told about 1,000 Miami University students Thursday.

He urged students to use their college years to discover what they would enjoy doing during their lives.

"You do not want to be sitting 20 years from now when you dread waking up in the morning to go to a job that you hate," Lee said.

Skeleton FilmWorks

SiliasRuby

Went on a Spike Lee Binge this week...
Bamboozled-Really tough biting satire that was really hard to watch in some parts.
Clockers-Interesting film about drug dealing. Great Performance by Harvey K.
Jungle Fever-Wesley Snipes is great
Mo Better Blues-Liked it alot except the kind of predictable ending.
Still have Crooklyn, Get on the bus, He Got Game, School Daze, She Hate Me, She's gotta have it, and Summer of Sam to see. I have Malcolm X, Do the Right Thing, and 25th Hour on DVD.

My Collection

Alethia

see 4 little girls before you see another spike lee movie.  his best behind do the right thing, imo.

SiliasRuby

Couldn't find 4 little girls at my school libray but next time I'll look in the directory and see when it is checked out. I saw 'He Got Game' last night. Great film

My Collection

Stefen

he got game is mad underrated. the montage of introducing jesus while pe's he got game plays is fantasdtic. easily one of my favorite spike lee moments ever.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

cine

Quote from: Stefenhe got game is mad underrated. the montage of introducing jesus while pe's he got game plays is fantasdtic. easily one of my favorite spike lee moments ever.

Quote from: StefenThis thread just proves my point that xixax is one of the whitest places on the internet.

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pedro