Spike Lee

Started by Ghostboy, June 26, 2003, 01:24:38 AM

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

Quote from: jokerspath
Quote from: AlguienEstolamiPantalones
Quote from: GhostboyI feel like starting a volatile thread!

thats not volatile, now this is volatile.............

spike lee is a damn dirty fucking nigger and he has a chink last name, And his film crooklyn caused Robert urich to die of cancer

Now thats volatile, racist and misguided sure, maybe a bit off on the robert urich thing, i mean he could of had a smoking habbit :: shruggs:: who knows

but smoking or not this a volatile post non the less , is it  Representative of the mambo squad in anyway???

hardly,  we love School daze, and also were fond of Asian surnames

Not only is this a pretty funny post, its also your thousandth.  Congrats...

aw

thank you thank you, i wanted number 1000 to be great.

MacGuffin

Lee has a style that compliments the substance, not overpowers it.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

cowboykurtis

im not a big fan of Lee's films. im get sick of the "reactinary" cloud he's always on. i'd like to see him tell as story where he's not trying to adress the 'race card'. i've only seen bamboozled, malcom x, and do the right thing... so,  based on my exposure to his films, my opinion is a bit narrow. theres no doubt that he is talented, however, i feel the same way about him, as i feel about some female directors. im sure im setting myself up to be labeled sexist & racist, but here I go: Great, spike lee is black... great, hes pissed off that his race has been mistreated, everyone is entitled to their gripes. however, when one focuses their whole career around "preaching" the same repetitive views, it gets a bit tiresome. i have this similar problem with female directors who only tell stories about women's issue. maybe i cant relate becuase im not black or im not a women... on the other side of things, i am thankful that someone is out there making film adressing these issues...i'd just like to see him spend his directorial talent telling a story, instead of adressing an "issue".
...your excuses are your own...

Sleuth

Quote from: cowboykurtisim not a big fan of Lee's films. im get sick of the "reactinary" cloud he's always on. i'd like to see him tell as story where he's not trying to adress the 'race card'. i've only seen bamboozled, malcom x, and do the right thing...

stop there, go see more of his films
I like to hug dogs

SoNowThen

Quoteim get sick of the "reactinary" cloud he's always on. i'd like to see him tell as story where he's not trying to adress the 'race card'. i've only seen bamboozled, malcom x, and do the right thing... so, based on my exposure to his films, my opinion is a bit narrow. theres no doubt that he is talented, however, i feel the same way about him, as i feel about some female directors. im sure im setting myself up to be labeled sexist & racist, but here I go: Great, spike lee is black... great, hes pissed off that his race has been mistreated, everyone is entitled to their gripes. however, when one focuses their whole career around "preaching" the same repetitive views, it gets a bit tiresome. i have this similar problem with female directors who only tell stories about women's issue. maybe i cant relate becuase im not black or im not a women... on the other side of things, i am thankful that someone is out there making film adressing these issues...i'd just like to see him spend his directorial talent telling a story, instead of adressing an "issue".

So completely agreed (in general, but I enjoy Spike's films all the same...).
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

modage

Quote from: cowboykurtisim not a big fan of Lee's films. im get sick of the "reactinary" cloud he's always on. i'd like to see him tell as story where he's not trying to adress the 'race card'. i've only seen bamboozled, malcom x, and do the right thing... so,  based on my exposure to his films, my opinion is a bit narrow. theres no doubt that he is talented, however, i feel the same way about him, as i feel about some female directors. im sure im setting myself up to be labeled sexist & racist, but here I go: Great, spike lee is black... great, hes pissed off that his race has been mistreated, everyone is entitled to their gripes. however, when one focuses their whole career around "preaching" the same repetitive views, it gets a bit tiresome. i have this similar problem with female directors who only tell stories about women's issue. maybe i cant relate becuase im not black or im not a women... on the other side of things, i am thankful that someone is out there making film adressing these issues...i'd just like to see him spend his directorial talent telling a story, instead of adressing an "issue".

i agree with everything you said.  (i've already spoken up about my feelings towards female directors.)  but, you should see 25th hour and Summer Of Sam, because it shows what he can do telling a story without preaching about an issue.  or playing the race card.  and theyre quite good.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ono

I saw Malcolm X about a week ago, and am just now commenting on it, which shows you my attitude towards it.  It had some good scenes, but not enough to overshadow the prevalent racism of a man.  His change, IMO, still came too little too late, and while it was a tragic ending, it still didn't make me sympathize.  You want to see a great film about a great man, look to Gandhi.  Now there's a leader and a role model.  Malcolm X: **½/**** (6/10)

I also saw Clockers a day later.  It kind of dragged along for the first half, then picked up later, especially in the third act, where the twist really sucked me in and made me think.  Good for Lee, but still, it seems all his pics are rather formulaic and predictable in his themes.  I don't know if he'll ever be able to top Do the Right Thing.  Still looking forward to finally getting to see 25th Hour, though.  Clockers was still a good movie, though: ***/**** (7/10)

As for the prevalence of the signs in the background saying "No More Packing," something MacGuffin asked me about in another thread (comparing it to the Stop sign Singleton used in Boyz N the Hood), well, it's not as bad an offense as the Stop sign, but still something that was a bit unnecessary and heavy handed.  It was interesting how he worked it in though.  Me, I think the only directors who can get away with that type of that mise-en-scene (off the top of my head) are PTA, and Jeunet (in Amelie, of course).  There is true heart behind it, that's why.  It's not just driving a point home.

pete

can you name me instances in malcom x, do the right thing, and bamboozled where spike proclaims his blackness and victimizes the black people?
spike's films are some of the only films I've seen where a white person can be racist yet still a nice friendly human being (even to black people) at the same time.
secondly, do the right thing does tell a great story, with or without the political aspects of it, to have a quirky urban comedy for 100s minutes then all of a sudden explode with a violent dark ending that is consistent within the narrative structure, is pretty damn good storytelling in any standard.

Quote from: cowboykurtisim not a big fan of Lee's films. im get sick of the "reactinary" cloud he's always on. i'd like to see him tell as story where he's not trying to adress the 'race card'. i've only seen bamboozled, malcom x, and do the right thing... so,  based on my exposure to his films, my opinion is a bit narrow. theres no doubt that he is talented, however, i feel the same way about him, as i feel about some female directors. im sure im setting myself up to be labeled sexist & racist, but here I go: Great, spike lee is black... great, hes pissed off that his race has been mistreated, everyone is entitled to their gripes. however, when one focuses their whole career around "preaching" the same repetitive views, it gets a bit tiresome. i have this similar problem with female directors who only tell stories about women's issue. maybe i cant relate becuase im not black or im not a women... on the other side of things, i am thankful that someone is out there making film adressing these issues...i'd just like to see him spend his directorial talent telling a story, instead of adressing an "issue".
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

pete

by the way, am I alone in thinking that the ending of 25th hour reminds me a lot of the ending in raising arizona?
- Buster Keaton

©brad

my 25th hour dvd is getting a lot of play recently, moreso than punch-drunk im afraid. i've shown 25th to friends and i get all positive reactions. its so damn good. im baffled as to why it was completely ignored by the awards and such, and why it was forgotten so easily. when a movie can send chills down ur back a repeated number of times u know its good.

im in agreement w/ ghostboy, i think malcom x is not only his best film but one of the best films i've ever seen. interesting thing, just caught an interview in which he talked a lot about how he was really influenced by oliver stone. he said he saw jfk in the theater with his editor when it came out and was completely blown away. u can see a lot of that influence in malcom. do the right thing is no doubt one of my fav. movies too.

the biggest misconception of spike is that he's this racist, homophobic, angry black man. ppl who say "damn i hate spike like" or "i like his movies but he's an asshole'- u don't know this man. u read stuff in papers, misquoted shit, misinterpreted shit- cuz if u opened ur eyes and really payed attention u'd see the warmth and compassion in his movies, even in malcom x, do the right thing, etc.

Cecil

cbrad is right. and i think that by accusing spike lee of racism, youre proving his point

pete

anyone got the Do the Right Thing dvd or was old enough to remember what the press was saying about how that movie will incite riots in the cities everywhere?
- Buster Keaton

bonanzataz

Quote from: cecil b. dementedcbrad is right. and i think that by accusing spike lee of racism, youre proving his point

i used to be the kind of person that thought of lee as racist, but for some reason or another, about a week ago i was thinking about it real hard and i completely changed my mind and agree with you now, cecil.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Ghostboy

Yeah, it did remind me of Raising Arizona. Except that I didn't like Ed Norton's old age makeup too much. Small complaint, though.

pete

spoilers ahead ppl[/size]

other small complaint was how the kids all looked way more hispanic than both the dad and the mom.[/b]
- Buster Keaton