Spike Lee

Started by Ghostboy, June 26, 2003, 01:24:38 AM

john

He's also going to be at the San Francisco International Film Festival, for all you Northern California inclined folks out there...

"An Evening with Spike Lee
Wednesday, May 2
7:30 pm
Castro Theatre
429 Castro Street (near Market)

Join us for a special evening honoring the unconventional filmmaking genius of Spike Lee, recipient of this year's Film Society Directing Award. Retrospective film clips from Lee's singular career will be followed by an onstage interview conducted by Boston Globe film critic Wesley Morris and a screening of Acts II and III of Lee's four-act Hurricane Katrina documentary When the Levees Broke."

So, at least this time I wont be driving to Santa Cruz in the rain only to arrive to locked doors and an empty building.

And this time I actually got tickets and will be attending, as opposed to his appearance at the Cinequest Film Festival in San Jose a handful of years back. Screened Bamboozled and did a Q & A. I'm still kicking myself for missing that one. I'm pretty sure I just stayed home and watched the Clerks cartoon. So, yeah, insult to injury...

Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

matt35mm

Quote from: john on April 18, 2007, 12:56:26 PM
So, at least this time I wont be driving to Santa Cruz in the rain only to arrive to locked doors and an empty building.

Sorry about that.  I don't know why it was cancelled.

pete

so I was there.  was anyone there?
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

john

I was, too. Nothing revelatory. Not a peep about Inside Man 2.

Nive to hear She's Gotta Have It is coming to DVD. Not news, but nice to hear nonetheless.

The clips before he came out were a nice touch.

The interviewer seemed a little strained, the audience questions were a little better.

Front row seat = good for Q & A, bad for sitting through two hours of When The Levee's Broke.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: john on May 03, 2007, 02:32:35 AM
She's Gotta Have It is coming to DVD.

Criterion or peasant DVD?

john

Didn't specify.

I presume Criterion, because I've heard more rumblings about a Criterion release than anything else.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: sparrowhoff on May 03, 2007, 05:56:54 AM
Quote from: john on May 03, 2007, 02:32:35 AM
She's Gotta Have It is coming to DVD.

Criterion or peasant DVD?

Peasant. The Criterion rumors are dead as Spike Lee has denied any involvement and it's been recently reported that MGM (the host studio, I believe) is preparing a release.

MacGuffin

Spike Lee eyes film on U.S. black soldiers in WW2

Spike Lee will pay tribute to black U.S. soldiers who fought during World War Two with a new film to be shot in Italy.

Lee told Italian daily "La Repubblica" in an interview published on Wednesday that the film, based on James McBride's novel "Miracle at St. Anna," aims to recognise the role of African-American soldiers.

He said their role in the war had been mostly overlooked in previous U.S. movies.

"America started to remember the sacrifice of black soldiers in films on the Vietnam war, but before then, in those on World War Two, they were almost invisible," Lee was quoted as saying.

"I recently met a black veteran who fought at Iwo Jima and he told me how hurt he was that he could not find a single African-American in Clint Eastwood's two films," Lee said.

"Flags of Our Fathers" and "Letters from Iwo Jima," director Eastwood's twin films about the bloody 1945 battle of Iwo Jima told from the perspective of American and Japanese combatants, were released last year.

McBride's book, based on a true story, is the tale of a group of soldiers from the 92nd, all-black Buffalo Division fighting against Nazi occupation in Tuscany, and the friendship between one of them and a six-year-old Italian orphan.

Lee said the contribution by black people to America's war effort at the time was all the more paradoxical given that back at home they were still suffering racial segregation.

"Despite the fact that they had been slaves for more than 300 years and that they were still at the time subject to terrible forms of discrimination, black men fought like heroes.

"They behaved like patriots while their brothers were lynched or at best considered second-class citizens," he said.

Racial issues are a favourite theme for Lee, the director of "Malcom X," "Do The Right Thing," and an acclaimed 2006 documentary on how Hurricane Katrina devastated New Orleans.

In the interview he said World War Two was the last "just war" fought by American troops, criticising the wars in Korea, Vietnam and Iraq.

But he added his new film would not be a propaganda work celebrating only the U.S. soldiers who liberated Europe from Nazi occupation.

"A lot of German soldiers were not faceless evil with no humanity, but simply men fighting on the wrong side: they too were tired, hungry and wanted to go back home."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

Quote from: MacGuffin on June 06, 2007, 11:28:25 AM
he could not find a single African-American in Clint Eastwood's two films," Lee said.

didn't he see the original title? they were the sand.
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

Spike Lee to Executive Produce LiveMansion
Source: ComingSoon

Ckrush Entertainment, Inc., a subsidiary of Ckrush, Inc., announced today that acclaimed film director Spike Lee will executive produce Ckrush Entertainment's groundbreaking film LiveMansion: The Movie. The first feature film to be produced by an online community (Ckrush's LiveMansion.com), LiveMansion: The Movie is a thriller scheduled to go into production later this year. As an executive producer, Lee will help guide the key creative and production elements of the film. Lee previously served as a judge in the selection process for the film's director and hosted a screening of the director finalists' shorts at Tribeca Cinemas in New York City.

Nominated for two Academy Awards and the director of over 30 feature films, Spike Lee is one of the world's most accomplished filmmakers. His directorial credits include She's Gotta Have It (1986), Do the Right Thing (1989), Malcolm X (1992), Summer of Sam (1999), 25th Hour (2002) and Inside Man (2006). In addition to his achievements as a director, Lee is an award winning writer, actor and producer.

"Having Spike Lee contribute to the making of 'LiveMansion: The Movie" is phenomenal on many levels" commented Ckrush, Inc. President Jeremy Dallow. "Firstly, Spike's involvement in any film is an incredible asset to that film. For Spike to lend his expertise to such a groundbreaking project is both a strong endorsement for the vision Ckrush has and a tremendous plus to the making of what we hope will be a great film. LiveMansion.com continues to give filmmakers, actors and people who love film incredible opportunities. The chance to work with Spike Lee is the opportunity of a lifetime. We are very grateful to be working with Spike and think the thousands of people who have participated in the making of film through LiveMansion.com will be very excited that Spike Lee is on their team."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

Quote from: MacGuffin on June 25, 2007, 11:59:30 AM
Source: ComingSoon

the director of over 30 feature films

bullshit.

ComingSoon maybe you should do more than just count how many credits he's got under Director at imdb. i really can't stand stuff like this. if they knew ANYTHING about movies they'd instantly realise how stupid that is.
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

Spike Lee sets stage for 'Stalag 17'
Director to announce first theater project
Source: Variety

Spike Lee will announce his first major theater project in a press conference scheduled for Thursday morning at the Palace Theater.

While details have not yet been confirmed, the production is believed to be a Broadway revival of Donald Bevan and Edmund Trzcinski's World War II comedy-drama "Stalag 17," a mystery set in a POW camp, centering on a sergeant suspected of being a Nazi spy.

The play has not been seen on Broadway since its 1951 premiere, which ran for 472 performances and won a Tony for director Jose Ferrer. William Holden was awarded a best actor Oscar for Billy Wilder's popular 1953 screen version.

Producer on the Lee project is Michael Abbott, whose last Broadway credit was the Jerome Lawrence and Robert E. Lee play, "The Incomparable Max," which had a short run in 1971.

Rialto insiders are skeptical about the idea of a "Stalag" revival, pairing an inexperienced stage director with material that shows no obvious connection to his body of film work. Some pundits are voicing their suspicion that Thursday's splashy announcement is designed to attract other investors on a production not yet fully formed.

While the tone of Bevan and Trzcinski's play is significantly different, the disastrous commercial run last season of R.C. Sherriff's WWI bunker drama "Journey's End," despite stellar reviews, points to a Broadway climate that's not exactly receptive to war themes.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Spike Lee attacks Hollywood films
Black soldiers are 'invisible'
Source: Variety

ROME -- Spike Lee engaged the Italo press with some anti-Hollywood ranting as he officially unveiled his new World War II project about the plight of black American soldiers fighting the German army in Tuscany.

"If you look at the history of Hollywood, the black soldiers who fought World War II are totally invisible," Lee lashed out during a packed presser in Rome's posh Hotel de Russie.

"This is the paradox: black people who were fighting for democracy but at the same time were second class citizens at home," Lee elaborated further.

The previously announced potentially hot-potato drama will be based on U.S. author James McBride's novel "Miracle at St. Anna."

Also on hand at the presser were 82-year-old WWII vet William Perry, a member of a Buffalo Soldiers unit made up of black Americans who fought the Nazis in Italy, and Moreno Costa, an Italian anti-Fascist partisan who fought alongside Italy's American liberators.

Perry said his 15,000-strong Buffalo Soldiers battalion suffered 3,000 casualties in Italy.

Lee was in Rome en route to scouting Tuscan locations for the $45 million drama, which producers Roberto Cicutto and Luigi Musini are still in talks to secure financing for. Neither Italian nor international distributors are yet in place.

No news emerged regarding casting, beyond that there are four protag parts for black American male stars, and roles for Teutonic and Italian A-list actors.

The crew will be largely Italian, Lee said. A second draft of the script penned by McBride is completed.

Plan is to start shooting early next year in New York, Tuscany and Rome's Cinecitta Studios.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

Spike Lee needs to get over this black stuff and start researching non black stuff for once.

White people fought in the second world war too.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pubrick

i didn't know this bit of trivia:

Quote from: imdbWhen Norman Jewison was originally hired to direct Malcolm X , Lee met with him and convinced him he needed to "sit this one out". Feeling that only a black director was qualified and would bring the necessary perspective, Lee then stepped in as director with Jewison's blessing.

did he try to screw jewison out of The Hurricane too?

Salary
Malcolm X (1992) $3,000,000
under the paving stones.