The Cure

Started by Jack Sparrow, June 14, 2003, 11:57:02 AM

freakerdude

They've been showing a fairly recent Cure in Berlin concert lately on the INHD channel, if anyone happens to have it.
MC Pee Pants

The Obstruction

Quote from: Pas RapportBoys don't Cry (Killin' an Arab is about The Stranger, so that's nice), and pretty much everything else.

I think "Boys don't cry" takes the price i know it's a mix of the first 2 albums but that's also in my opinion the thing about it.
I haven't seen the stranger (if it's a movie), but will try to find it if i can here in denmark, the land whit the little market.
Apart from that i wonder ? what was the point in taken the track "boys don't cry" an get another band to play it in "boys don't cry" the movie. An then not even putting it on the soundtrack !!!
"I don't like the word ironic. I like the word absurdity, and I don't really understand the word 'irony' too much. The irony comes when you try to verbalize the absurd. When irony happens without words, it's much more exalted." David Lynch

Ghostboy

I would assume he meant The Stranger, by Camus...although I wasn't aware the song was based on anything, either, so I may be wrong.

The Obstruction

Quote from: GhostboyI would assume he meant The Stranger, by Camus...although I wasn't aware the song was based on anything, either, so I may be wrong.

Thanks for the tip, if it's the one !!!
I have just heared that when the cure released the song they where charged with the charge of being racists. But the case was dropped because the cure claimed it was based on a book, an the judge believed them.
But what about Orson Welles "the stranger" thats something with both nazi and a murder, mayby thats the one ?
"I don't like the word ironic. I like the word absurdity, and I don't really understand the word 'irony' too much. The irony comes when you try to verbalize the absurd. When irony happens without words, it's much more exalted." David Lynch

Pas

Quote from: GhostboyI would assume he meant The Stranger, by Camus...although I wasn't aware the song was based on anything, either, so I may be wrong.

Yes, it is based on The Stranger by Albert Camus. Just look at the lyrics and you'll see it's quite obvious. If you didn't read this book, then do it because it is pure genius. I believe it would be the piece of art that influenced me the most, in quite subtle ways.

mogwai

NEW CURE!

THE CURE will release their new album in June.

The currently untitled album has been scheduled for release on June 21. The album will be the band's first since the release of 2000's 'Bloodflowers'.

As previously reported on NME.COM, the band are working with At The Drive-In and Korn producer Ross Robinson.

The album will come out on Robinson's own I Am label (my note: distributed by interscope records).

mogwai

THE CURE GET THE BALANCE RIGHT!

THE CURE's debuted their first album in four years last night (April 29) in NEW YORK and revealed that it will simply be called 'THE CURE'.

The band will also be performing the first single to be lifted from the LP, 'The End Of The World' tonight (April 30) on NBC's The Tonight Show With Jay Leno and are set to headline Californian festival Coachella on Sunday (May 2).

At the playback, singer Robert Smith said: "I think it's the best thing we've ever done."

He added: "There was a moment where we had to decide whether to do some conceptual experiment with nothing over 100 [beats-per-minute], and all of us with our heads down making a heavy, heavy album, but it wouldn't be as good. The best Cure albums have a balance."

According to Billboard, former guitarist Porl Thompson recorded parts for a couple of the tracks on 'The Cure', despite leaving the group in 1993.

Producer Ross Robinson - more well known for his work with Limp Bizkit, Slipknot and At The Drive-In - wanted the band to record the basic tracks live, echoing the approach The Cure took in their early days.

Smith explained: "Ross wanted to record us as a band, which we really hadn't done since the second album we ever made. The days would build up into these intense periods until we'd get the song. Everything was played live and I had to sing live."

'The Cure' is set to be released on June 29 in the US through Robinson's I Am imprint via Geffen.

Speaking about a summer tour, Smith said: "You'll enjoy the whole thing because it was put together by us."

The working tracklisting for 'The Cure' is:

'Lost'
'Labyrinths' (working title)
'Before 3' (working title)
'Truth Goodness and Beauty'
'The End of the World'
'I Don't Know What's Going On'
'Taking Off'
'Anniversary'
'This Morning'
'Us or Them'
'Precious Advise' (working title)
'Jason #3' (working title)
'The Promise'
'Going Nowhere'

SoNowThen

I'm in passionate love with Bloodflowers, so I was kinda hoping they'd continue with that route, but at any rate... excited for this new one!!
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

MacGuffin

Quote from: mogwaiheh, i totally forgot about this one:

I lucked out and found a prestine used copy a while back. So good to have all the b-sides and rarites in a compliation. I've always been a fan of Mr. Pink Eyes, A Man Inside My Mouth (I still have them both on vinyl) and Harold & Joe.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ghostboy

Quote from: SoNowThenI'm in passionate love with Bloodflowers

Me too. That's one album I never get tired of -- although I love that whole triptych of albums that it completes, I think it is by far my favorite work of theirs. Maybe Someday makes me want to cry just thinking about it.

tpfkabi

i had Friday I'm in Love in my head all last week.
I know that song doesn't represent them in any way, but i wanted to get a CD with that on it and check out some of their other stuff. i saw there is a single collection called Gallore and then a Greatest Hits that was released in 2001. which would you recommend? basically the difference amouts to 8 songs:

which 8 Cure songs would you rather have?

A----------------------------B-------------
---------------------------------------------
Catch-----------------------Boys Don't Cry
HOt!Hot!Hot!---------------A Forest
Fascination St.-------------Let's Go to Bed
Pictures of You-------------Walk
A Letter to Elise------------Lovecats
13th-------------------------In Between Days
Strange Attraction---------Cut Here
Gone------------------------Just Say Yes
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

mogwai

buy this one:

if you have some cash left, buy this one as well:

godardian

Quote from: bigideasi had Friday I'm in Love in my head all last week.
I know that song doesn't represent them in any way, but i wanted to get a CD with that on it and check out some of their other stuff. i saw there is a single collection called Gallore and then a Greatest Hits that was released in 2001. which would you recommend? basically the difference amouts to 8 songs:

which 8 Cure songs would you rather have?

A----------------------------B-------------
---------------------------------------------
Catch-----------------------Boys Don't Cry
HOt!Hot!Hot!---------------A Forest
Fascination St.-------------Let's Go to Bed
Pictures of You-------------Walk
A Letter to Elise------------Lovecats
13th-------------------------In Between Days
Strange Attraction---------Cut Here
Gone------------------------Just Say Yes

I would rather have:

C-------------------------------

"Why Can't I Be You"
"Love Song"
"Inbetween Days"
"Just Like Heaven"
"Untitled"
"Lullaby"
"Fascination Street"
"All I Want"

The new album is something I might be interested in giving a listen to if a chance comes my way, but I'm certainly not raring for it in feverish anticipation the way I am with the new Morrissey; I won't be rushing out to buy five copies on its day of release. Such an odd coincidence that both found unlikely, up-to-the-minute American producers for their new records...
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

MacGuffin

Quote from: mogwaiif you have some cash left, buy this one as well:

But make sure you get the limited 2 disc edition. Disc one are the released singles. Disc two are the same songs, but done acoustically:

1. Boys Don't Cry
2. A Forest
3. Let's Go To Bed
4. The Walk
5. The Lovecats
6. Inbetween Days          
7. Close To Me          
8. Why Can't I Be You?          
9. Just Like Heaven          
10. Lullaby          
11. Lovesong          
12. Never Enough          
13. High          
14. Friday I'm In Love          
15. Mint Car          
16. Wrong Number          
17. Cut Here          
18. Just Say Yes
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pas

Quote from: godardian

C-------------------------------

"Why Can't I Be You"
"Love Song"
"Inbetween Days"
"Just Like Heaven"
"Untitled"
"Lullaby"
"Fascination Street"
"All I Want"

Awesome list ! I would just replace Why Can't I be You with The Catch, I just love that song.