Blind Buys

Started by ono, May 31, 2003, 12:42:56 AM

godardian

Quote from: children with angelsThirteen Conversations About One thing is nowhere near the vicinity of the wonderfulness of either Magnolia or The Ice Storm (actually my first and third favourite movies respectively [organised, eh?]), but I thought it was pretty interesting. Not great but good. I know there are many here who hated it though.

Thirteen Conversations works on a much smaller canvast than Magnolia, but the picture works just as well on its own terms.

My weekend blind buy: Waking Life. X-tra cheap at the local Fred Meyer.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Pas

Just blind bought Bottle Rocket !

godardian

Quote from: BoothJust blind bought Bottle Rocket !

Depending on the price, you won't be sorry.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Pas

Only paid 20$CAN (13$US) ... Columbia House DVD is really really cool here upnorth. I highly recommend it if DVD availability is low in your area :-)

Cecil

Quote from: BoothColumbia House DVD is really really cool here upnorth. I highly recommend it if DVD availability is low in your area :-)

i disagree

Pas

Why ? It's my fourth subscription and I never had any problem. I now get 6 "free" DVDs and have only two more to buy at 20$CAN (13$US) to fulfill my contract. All in all, my last subscription got me 9 DVDs for 110$CAN (80$US).

And now with Internet, there's way more choice.

Edit : I don't work for the place :-)

Cecil

well the minimum prices i had to pay was 30 bucks CAN for dvds that can be bought for 17-25$ at futureshop. plus i find their selection rather limited

Pas

Yeah, with shipping and all, it approx. amouts to 30$ ... but my 110$ total took that into account. Though the first subscription is indeed more costly since you have to buy more to fulfill agreement. As for selection, it is indeed a little limited here in Canada, even if they now have the complete canadien selection on the web.

Good deals can be found at Futureshop, I agree. I just bought last week High Fidelity and Elephant Man on DVD for 24$CAN, for BOTH! Pi and Requiem for a Dream for 34$ if I remember well too...

Reed Rothchild

It cost like 4-5 dollars to rent a dvd, so why not just add 10-15 dollars and own it ;) I usually buy all my movies based on what I have read or been told.
You know, people tell me I kind of look like Han Solo.

DVD Collection

modage

not with NETFLIX my friend.  not with NETFLIX.

also, do you always do what youre "told"?  i dont care how many people like a movie, i ALWAYS have to see it for myself.  who cares what other people think? if you dont like it, why do you want it up on your shelf?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Reed Rothchild

Well I don't get my opinions from just anywhere, like here for example after reading many of the post here I would trust most of your judgement on wether a movie was good or not.
You know, people tell me I kind of look like Han Solo.

DVD Collection

Derek

Lawrence of Arabia. Bought it a year ago. Can't get into it. Haven't seen  more than the first hour. Yet, I still think of my collection as incomplete without it.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

SoNowThen

That's how I feel about McCabe & Mrs Miller. Glad I have it, recognize its additions to cinema... don't enjoy a second of it. And it's pissing me off.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

ono

You all do realize that you don't need to like or have all the classics to be cineasts, right?

I mean, McCabe and Mrs. Miller may have been praised as Altman's best, but that doesn't mean it is.  It may just suck.  And I for one don't like Westerns, so I'm not necessarily looking forward to it when I get around to viewing it, either.

You don't have to like a movie just because it's classic and all the other critics say it's amazing.  ;)

Cecil

Quote from: OnomatopoeiaYou all do realize that you don't need to like or have all the classics to be cineasts, right?

yes but theres something about "having" to own them... for reference purposes. i only buy the movies i want to watch over and over again, but i understand why some would want a "movie library" with all of the classics rather than just a "movie collection"