sigur ros & mogwai

Started by abbey road, May 20, 2003, 11:21:23 AM

MacGuffin

From MTV:

Ethereal Icelandic rockers Sigur Rós have pieced together a pair of releases for November 6. Hvarf/Heim is a double-CD: Hvarf encompasses five new recordings of songs — some previously unreleased — from various junctures in the band's career. Heim features six live acoustic versions of songs from Sigur Rós' four albums. A DVD is also on the way — "Heima" follows the group as it performed a series of free concerts in its native Iceland last summer.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Sunrise

And follow this link

http://emichrysalis.co.uk/sigurros/heima/film/

for the most beautiful trailer I've ever seen.

Pubrick

so many great shots in that. it's interesting to compare this trailer with the daft punk one. where daft had robot mountain climbing, this one has water soccer. really beautiful.
under the paving stones.

Sigur Rós

Quote from: Sunrise on August 31, 2007, 04:38:09 PM
And follow this link

http://emichrysalis.co.uk/sigurros/heima/film/

for the most beautiful trailer I've ever seen.

Iceland that's where I live now...heima at last!

MacGuffin

Lilo & Stitch & Sigur Ros
In between writing and directing a pair of animated features for Disney, Dean DeBlois decided to make a documentary about one of Brad Pitt's favorite bands.
Source: FilmStew.com

The buzz has begun. Thanks to a preview screening this week in London, music critics are raving about the documentary Heima, a chronicle of ten free, secret location concerts given in Iceland last year by the band Sigur Ros at the end of their "Takk" world concert tour.

From a Hollywood perspective, the noteworthy element with regards to the film, set for November DVD release, is the name of the director who shot it all in high resolution: Dean DeBlois. What's a guy who made Lilo & Stitch and is currently in pre-production on The Banshee and Fin Magee doing at the helm of a concert film with a title that translates from the Icelandic as "Homeland?" Turns out he, like Brad Pitt, is a friend and fan of the group.

"Sigur Ros' ambitious gesture of playing free, unannounced concerts in every corner of Iceland struck me as noble and beautifully strange - something unheard of in our jaded world," DeBlois explains in an interview with UK website Gigwise.com. " I wanted to present an intimate view of the band and their country from my own wonder-filled, foreign eyes."

DeBlois is actually Canadian, not American. After graduating from Sheridan College, he worked in Ireland with filmmaker Don Bluth on A Troll in Central Park and Thumbelina before joining Disney Animation in 1994. Should there ever be an opening on an animated feature soundtrack for some funky Icelandic music, DeBlois knows just who to call.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

mogwai

sorry to hijack this thread but this is worth mentioning in this thread.  :yabbse-smiley:

mogwai "stop coming to my house" with moving images from "tron".

mogwai "star wars" with moving images from all six "star wars" movies.

yes, they're really good and they mix perfect with the music.

tpfkabi

from wiki:
"Heima and Hvarf-Heim (2007)
In August 2007, a limited DVD+CD edition of the 2002 soundtrack to the documentary Hlemmur was released. Hvarf-Heim is set to be released on 5 November (6 November in U.S.) , a double compilation album containing studio versions of previously unreleased songs ("Salka", "Hljómalind" (formerly known as "Rokklagið"), "Í gær" and "Von"), on Hvarf, and acoustic studio versions of the songs: "Samskeyti", "Starálfur", "Vaka", "Ágætis Byrjun", "Heysátan"and "Von", on Heim. On the same day (20 November in U.S.) Heima, a live DVD of last summer's Iceland tour, will be released. Just prior to the release of Hvarf-Heim, on 29 October, a single named Hljómalind will be released. A tentative date for a DVD+CD release of the 2002 orchestral piece Odin's Raven Magic is set for January 2008.

To promote their film 'Heima' in England the band played an exclusive concert at the Cecil Sharp House as part of the BBC Electric Proms. The band gave an performance before the film 'Heima' was played. After the film, there was a short Question and Answer session"

i'm confused. so there are 2 different DVD/films that are out now?
this whole time i thought it was the same thing.

*edit*
http://sigur-ros.co.uk/band/disco/hlemmur_ltd.php
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Stefen

I wish San Francisco would just DIE! Stupid city with it's special screenings, and flamboyance, and proper hygiene! I'm so sick of San Fran! UGHHHH!!!!
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

MacGuffin

Sigur Rós are plotting a batch of theatrical screenings for "Heima," the new documentary film they released late last month. The movie, which revolves around a series of free shows the band played in its native Iceland last summer, will be shown Tuesday (San Francisco, Denver); December 19 (Boston, Atlanta); and December 20 (Austin, Texas; Seattle).

Skeleton FilmWorks

edison

tpfkabi

i was disappointed there were no subtitles for the second disc of the dvd - unless i'm overlooking that option.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Jeremy Blackman

Has anyone else heard the new one?

It's a good album on its own terms, but if you're holding Sigur Ros to Sigur Ros standards, I'd say it's more than a little disappointing.

I expected more than this after Ba Ba Ti Ki Di Do... I thought they were going somewhere. There's really nothing new here. A few great tracks, yes, but it's mostly the same chord progressions we've heard hundreds of times in other music and the same vocal stylings we've heard on every other Sigur album.

Save a few songs, like Gobbledigook, Vid spilum endalaust, and Sud i eyrum, the whole thing doesn't have much impact. I wanted not only more experimentation, but more power. There are far too many tracks on the album that are quiet, slow, unemotive, and unoriginal.

MacGuffin

Sigur Ros' New Album Is All About 'Doing Whatever We Feel Like,' Including Singing In English
Icelandic post-rockers let loose, ditching their meticulous epics for a more joyous new sound.
Source: MTV

You've never had to be fluent in Icelandic to understand Sigur Rós's music, though it would probably help.

For more than a decade now, they've been making massive-sounding, glacially paced post-rock, with lyrics delivered in Icelandic (or sometimes in a completely made-up language called "Vonlenska") by otherworldly voiced frontman Jónsi Birgisson, and in the process, they've developed a worldwide following — almost in spite of themselves.

So when time came for the group to being work on the follow-up to their 2005 album Takk ..., they decided to throw those loyal fans another curveball. For the first time, they ditched the meticulously produced epics for which they'd been known, and let things get loose. They were going to have fun. And, in perhaps the boldest move of all, they were going to make their songs more accessible ... by singing in English.

"We talked about it often, and for this record it was the right time," bassist Georg "Goggi" Hólm told MTV News. "It is a record where we're kind of letting go and doing whatever we feel like and not thinking too much about it. So, we decided to try writing songs in English this time. Some of them just didn't work out, so we switched them to Icelandic, but for one song — the last one on the record, called 'All Alright' — it worked, so we did it in English."

And with that, the new Sigur Rós was born. The group wrote a boatload of songs over one week, shelved them for a year, and then, early last year, they revisited what they had done. With the help of legendary producer Flood (Nine Inch Nails, Smashing Pumpkins, U2), they began to assemble the bits and pieces. Moving at a breakneck pace (in about a month), they completed the new album, which they gave the decidedly Sigur Rós-ian title Með Suð í Eyrum Við spilum endalaust (it means "With a Buzz in Our Ears We Play Endlessly").

"The attitude for the record was doing it quick and fast and leaving the mistakes in, and with that comes spontaneity, and happiness and screaming things out," Hólm laughed. "So, in that spirit, it was all finished within a couple of months. It was really spontaneous, and I think it was something we really needed, because we usually take two years to finish everything, so it was time we just let it go."

"There are moments that we probably could've gone back to fix, but we decided to leave them in because we wanted it to be done fast," drummer Orri Páll Dýrason added. "We were recording strings in [keyboardist Kjarri Sveinsson's] living room, and he went to the bakery at one point, so we kept recording. And at one point, he comes back and there's a 'drrrring' of the doorbell in the middle of the song. But we kept it in. We kept everything in."

And that loosening of the reigns isn't the only change that can be heard on the new record. There's also an unabashed sense of joy in many of the songs, like first single "Gobbledigook," which is full of handclaps and whistles and sunny, strummy guitars. The accompanying video is packed with nudes galloping through the forest. It's about as un-Sigur-Rós-ian as you can imagine, and the concept has spilled over into the band's notoriously minimalist (and quiet) live shows. For the first time ever, fans are standing, cheering and even — gasp! — rushing the stage. And the band couldn't be happier.

"I think we've changed a lot musically — and in life too — we have grown up, and we're all liking people being quite noisy. We're liking these standing audiences," Hólm said. "Sometimes it's boring when people are sitting there going, 'Ssssh! Don't say anything,' because we're up for a rowdy crowd."

"It makes us happy, too," Dýrason said. "People are worried that if they speak during our shows, they'll cause us to make mistakes. But we think it's OK, because we always make plenty of mistakes. It's fine."

Skeleton FilmWorks

mogwai

Quote from: cron on July 07, 2008, 09:26:23 PM
mogwai's the sun smells too loud.

they have drastically .

Fernando

Quote from: mogwai on July 19, 2008, 05:10:24 AM
Quote from: cron on July 07, 2008, 09:26:23 PM
mogwai's the sun smells too loud.

they have drastically .

Great fan made video and awesome song; I dont' get some of the complaints that say it doesn't sound like mogwai, it does to me and now I'm really looking forward to the release of their new cd.

Damn you cron for seeing them live, lucky bastard! They were supposed to play here too but didn't... :yabbse-angry: