Demographic of PTA fans

Started by Punch Drunk Hate, December 02, 2017, 12:25:34 AM

Drenk

Quote from: FilmCell on December 02, 2017, 05:42:20 PM
You clearly have a lot to learn about women.

And that comment just confirms where I thought your statement came from.
Ascension.

jenkins

whether the attribution of a hierarchical value system is a lame-ass male characteristic or not (it is), the whole problem initiates when you wonder whether this is a problem or not. it's not. the problem is if you aren't more than a PTA fan. how's your cinephile card? if you got a healthy cinephile card don't sweat the technique.

Robyn

Quote from: FilmCell on December 02, 2017, 12:39:22 PM
Being a Film nerd means risking looking like a loser with no social life. That's a risk girls aren't willing to take.

You talk so much shit.

Jeremy Blackman

I think it's been a very long time since being a "film nerd" has cast people out of social circles. Fandom in general has literally never been more mainstream.

That's even setting aside the idea that "girls" are so universally shallow that they suppress their own passions for social advantage.

You could make a separate argument about conditioning.

Robyn

What's the equivalent of living under a rock on the internet, or can you do that here too? You can literally just go to any community on the internet (except for like 4chan and some part of Reddit but they are flooded with so much shit anyway) to see that it's bullshit, especially facebook groups (where you aren't anonymous) related to music or film. It saddens me when I come across this type of thinking, because it's a real problem. Imagine writing something thoughtful about film or music and then get messages from dudes who are like "What's up, girl? ;) ;) ;) I didn't that there was girls that was interesting in this kind of music or film ;) ;) ;)". Fuck off. It must be frustrating as hell. 

It's related to the same kind of thinking that most "girl nerds" are posers which I feel was more common within nerd culture around the net 10-15 years ago. I think it is important to call someone out when you see it, because it makes message boards and communities a really shitty place sometimes. You should be able to discuss stuff and be passionate about whatever you want no matter gender. It's 2017 now, you know.

FilmCell

Quote from: Drenk on December 02, 2017, 05:43:13 PM

And that comment just confirms where I thought your statement came from.

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on December 03, 2017, 05:39:58 PM
I think it's been a very long time since being a "film nerd" has cast people out of social circles. Fandom in general has literally never been more mainstream.

That's even setting aside the idea that "girls" are so universally shallow that they suppress their own passions for social advantage.

You could make a separate argument about conditioning.

Quote from: KJ on December 03, 2017, 01:00:51 PM
Quote from: FilmCell on December 02, 2017, 12:39:22 PM
Being a Film nerd means risking looking like a loser with no social life. That's a risk girls aren't willing to take.

You talk so much shit.

Quote from: KJ on December 03, 2017, 07:24:51 PM
What's the equivalent of living under a rock on the internet, or can you do that here too? You can literally just go to any community on the internet (except for like 4chan and some part of Reddit but they are flooded with so much shit anyway) to see that it's bullshit, especially facebook groups (where you aren't anonymous) related to music or film. It saddens me when I come across this type of thinking, because it's a real problem. Imagine writing something thoughtful about film or music and then get messages from dudes who are like "What's up, girl? ;) ;) ;) I didn't that there was girls that was interesting in this kind of music or film ;) ;) ;)". Fuck off. It must be frustrating as hell. 

It's related to the same kind of thinking that most "girl nerds" are posers which I feel was more common within nerd culture around the net 10-15 years ago. I think it is important to call someone out when you see it, because it makes message boards and communities a really shitty place sometimes. You should be able to discuss stuff and be passionate about whatever you want no matter gender. It's 2017 now, you know.

Don't listen to me and instead listen to Gilian Flynn, a woman who's an award winning author and screenwriter.

"Men actually think this girl exists. Maybe they're fooled because so many women are willing to pretend to be this girl. For a long time Cool Girl offended me. I used to see men – friends, coworkers, strangers – giddy over these awful pretender women, and I'd want to sit these men down and calmly say: You are not dating a woman, you are dating a woman who has watched too many movies written by socially awkward men who'd like to believe that this kind of woman exists and might kiss them. I'd want to grab the poor guy by his lapels or messenger bag and say: The bitch doesn't really love chili dogs that much – no one loves chili dogs that much! And the Cool Girls are even more pathetic: They're not even pretending to be the woman they want to be, they're pretending to be the woman a man wants them to be. Oh, and if you're not a Cool Girl, I beg you not to believe that your man doesn't want the Cool Girl. It may be a slightly different version – maybe he's a vegetarian, so Cool Girl loves seitan and is great with dogs; or maybe he's a hipster artist, so Cool Girl is a tattooed, bespectacled nerd who loves comics. There are variations to the window dressing, but believe me, he wants Cool Girl, who is basically the girl who likes every fucking thing he likes and doesn't ever complain. (How do you know you're not Cool Girl? Because he says things like: "I like strong women." If he says that to you, he will at some point fuck someone else. Because 'I like strong women' is code for 'I hate strong women.'"

~ Gillian Flynn from Gone Girl

Jeremy Blackman

I don't see anything about film nerds in that quote. That's a pretty good unrelated straw man argument though.

And you're not quoting Gillian Flynn, you're quoting a character from Gone Girl, Amy Dunne, who is considered to be the villain of the story.

Have you seen how many women attend Comic-Con?

And comic fandom is much more narrow and hardcore group than film fandom.

Jeremy Blackman

Comic-Con attendance:

Utah 2017 - 40% women

San Diego 2012 - 40% women

San Diego 2015: 50% women

I can't find any more at the moment but there seems to be a trend.

Rooty Poots

I'm so glad y'all are responding and calling that guy out, because I was beginning to worry that Xixax was the kind of group that thinks that way as a herd.

Also, re The Dissolve: as a publication, it's gone, but as a community, it's still alive and growing, it's just moved to a secret facebook group. One of the best film and pop culture communities online.
Hire me for your design projects ya turkeys! Lesterco

FilmCell

Quote from: wilberfan on December 02, 2017, 11:51:48 AM
Quote from: FilmCell on December 02, 2017, 11:01:19 AM
And Film geeks are usually white dudes.

That's sort of where I was headed.  Let's turn the question around.  What director's fan base is almost exclusively female?  Is there even one?  What do women nerd-out about?  Which creative types (not actors--too easy) have their group of Fangirls?

Hey, you're not allowed to say those things. This is a safe space where the truth and statistics can be triggering.

Jeremy Blackman

Sure, the types of movies we're into usually attract predominantly male fans. But your reasoning was... not the best, you have to admit.

Other perhaps more legit reasons:
- Representation (these movies are usually about men)
- Conditioning (girls are taught to like other movies)
- Other cultural reasons

But the culture is clearly changing.

My sister is 25 years old. She became a huge fan of the X-Files in her early teens. She was watching Breaking Bad before I knew about it. She started Game of Thrones in November, and now she's finished all 7 seasons. We've had hours of conversations about GoT, where she's made some very... dare I say "nerdy" observations that never occurred to me. I showed her Melancholia; she loved it and was raving about the ending. (Dancer is next, maybe.)

And yet, somehow, she is not ostracized by her peers, has no fear of "looking like a loser," and has not lost any "social currency."

And against all odds, she can still be a devoted fan of other things, like That 70s Show, the MCU, and Twilight.

Jeremy Blackman

For whatever it's worth, I just searched the #PhantomThread hashtag on Twitter. Where there was an identifiable gender, I counted 15 men and 9 women. I stopped there, but that ratio seems to continue.

Punch Drunk Hate

Calculating all the IMDB ratings for Paul movies, here's the total gender matchup across all age brackets. This is going to skew more male due to the demographics who are more outspoken on the site.

Hard Eight:

Males: 7.3
Females: 7.1

Boogie Nights:

Males: 7.9
Females: 7.5

Magnolia:

Males: 8.0
Females: 7.6

Punch-Drunk Love:

Males: 7.4
females: 6.6

There will Be Blood:

Males: 8.2
Females: 7.8

The Master:

Males: 7.1
Females: 6.7

Inherent Vice:

Males: 6.7
Females: 6.4

Punch Drunk Hate

A review from another site referred to Paul fanbase as being a bunch of testosterone-driven frat boys who want to appear intellectual by watching his films.

The statement may be hyperbolic and contrary, as the commentator dislikes his work, isn't there some truth that Xixax premiere director just happens to be liked primarily by the bros?  Not trying to rally the forum senses buds, just asking a simple honest question.

BB

The bros like TWBB, Boogie Nights, and nothing else.