Author Topic: Phantom Thread - SPOILERS!  (Read 14729 times)

wilder

• Respect: +1771
Re: Phantom Thread - SPOILERS!
« Reply #90 on: December 17, 2017, 07:27:32 PM »
don't be surprised when PTA gets run through the 2017 Woke Filter.

Punch Drunk Hate

• The Call to Adventure
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #91 on: December 17, 2017, 07:32:44 PM »
Many skeptics I know of is due to the film relationship between the dominant older male-younger female relationship. As screwed up as Hollywood films are on these ridiculous pairings, there's something more deeper beneath the surface that isn't all glamour and romantic, with PTA at the helm. I won't discussed further until I see the film for myself, so make of that what you will.

wilder

« Reply #92 on: December 18, 2017, 02:44:29 PM »
Glenn Kenny at rogerebert.com with a 4-star review:

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/phantom-thread-2017

Quote from: Glenn Kenny
But this is not a film that has a conventional climax; the war of wills between the two characters does not have a tidy resolution. We don’t even know just what it is that Alma wants, let alone what she gets. Her background is shrouded. Beautifully portrayed by Vicky Krieps, she speaks with a slight German accent. There’s a scene set at a press conference, where a vulgar dowager for whom Woodcock has made a wedding dress is discussing her impending wedding to a Dominican politician. A journalist asks the man about whether he “sold visas to Jews during the war” and Anderson cuts to a close-up of Alma, her face neutral. This is a movie of confrontations, of dreamlike moments dissolving into micro nightmares, but it is hardly a conventional “battle of the sexes” story.

Edit - From this interview with Krieps:

Her focus always returns to the work and its effect on her — even if some of it was left on the cutting-room floor. “It’s not in the movie anymore, but there’s a scene that was very strong where Alma goes and wanders off on her own in the country house and finds the wedding dress of their mother,” she said. “She takes it out and actually tries it on; she’s discovered by Cyril [Manville]. And that was a scene that was just unlike anything I’ve ever done — it was like there was a ghost in the room the whole time. It really was.”

Tictacbk

• The Magic Flight
  • Respect: +187
« Reply #93 on: December 20, 2017, 01:41:05 AM »
I just came home to my screener of this (finally) and immediately had to put it on for a second viewing. It's just so great. I'm immediately welcomed back into this world that I never even knew existed, but I love it. The score, the richness of the images, everything just draws you right in. I'm weirdly reminded of PDL in how quickly it works. It feels like between PDL and this, I grew up with PTA.

Anyway, does anyone have any recommendations of classic films to pair with this? I'm not so familiar with gothic romance stories. I'd love to dive in.

wilberfan

• The Meeting with the Goddess
  • Respect: +125
« Reply #94 on: December 20, 2017, 04:00:50 PM »
I just came home to my screener of this (finally) and immediately had to put it on for a second viewing.

Today I learned they're actually sending out screeners of this gem.  Wonder if we'll get one...?
"There's shadows in life, baby."

KJ

• The Return Threshold
  • Respect: +319
« Reply #95 on: December 20, 2017, 04:51:12 PM »
+1
I just came home to my screener of this (finally) and immediately had to put it on for a second viewing.

Today I learned they're actually sending out screeners of this gem.  Wonder if we'll get one...?

Well, I met Paul at a grocery store and...eh, nevermind, I'm just gonna leave this thread for now because I haven't seen it yet. Bye bye, spoilers.

JG

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • Respect: +54
« Reply #96 on: December 21, 2017, 11:58:47 AM »
+1
Nice film! I'll gush without really saying anything at all... still throwing it in the spoiler thread cos i'm scared of upsetting someone!

Up until Inherent Vice, all of PTA's films left me breathless and held me in a way that few other films/filmmakers do. I had a lot of trouble with Inherent Vice, but I'm happy to say that this one brought back all those old feelings. There are moments that felt like absolute magic to me - unusual cinematography, beautiful music, captivating performances. Krieps face guides us through so many of the scenes - she's amazing to watch and perfectly cast.

Its perhaps the most linear and straightforward of his movies (at least since PDL), but its consistent with his recent work in that its not really concerned with traditional three-act plot mechanics... Its episodic and free. Like the Master and Inherent Vice there are portions of the film that might be described by some as "meandering" but it always recenters itself... pta seems aggressive with theme here. there's a kind of repetition to the plot, and as the scenes go on, the editing seems to hone in on a few key ideas on the nature of relationships. in that way it doesn't feel far from what mother! was trying to do. but aronofsky's approach is so, so different from from PTAs. everybody's got worlds inside of them and its fascinating to see how different two visions can be!

i''ll admit - there are several movies i saw this year that i like more than phantom thread, but phantom thread contains some of the most inspired bits of filmmaking I've seen in years... i don't think that's a bad thing at all..

csage97

• The Road of Trials
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #97 on: December 21, 2017, 02:12:04 PM »
Nice film! I'll gush without really saying anything at all... still throwing it in the spoiler thread cos i'm scared of upsetting someone!

Up until Inherent Vice, all of PTA's films left me breathless and held me in a way that few other films/filmmakers do. I had a lot of trouble with Inherent Vice, but I'm happy to say that this one brought back all those old feelings. There are moments that felt like absolute magic to me - unusual cinematography, beautiful music, captivating performances. Krieps face guides us through so many of the scenes - she's amazing to watch and perfectly cast.

Its perhaps the most linear and straightforward of his movies (at least since PDL), but its consistent with his recent work in that its not really concerned with traditional three-act plot mechanics... Its episodic and free. Like the Master and Inherent Vice there are portions of the film that might be described by some as "meandering" but it always recenters itself... pta seems aggressive with theme here. there's a kind of repetition to the plot, and as the scenes go on, the editing seems to hone in on a few key ideas on the nature of relationships. in that way it doesn't feel far from what mother! was trying to do. but aronofsky's approach is so, so different from from PTAs. everybody's got worlds inside of them and its fascinating to see how different two visions can be!

i''ll admit - there are several movies i saw this year that i like more than phantom thread, but phantom thread contains some of the most inspired bits of filmmaking I've seen in years... i don't think that's a bad thing at all..

Very nice. What films did you like more this year, if you don't mind me asking?

csage97

• The Road of Trials
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #98 on: December 21, 2017, 02:17:14 PM »
New sneak preview trailer! I love the camera movement. Just gorgeous!

JG

• Respect: +54
« Reply #99 on: December 21, 2017, 02:52:52 PM »

Very nice. What films did you like more this year, if you don't mind me asking?

some of the movies at the top of my list this year:

the other side of hope
the day after
good time
ex-libris
blade runner 2049
twin peaks: the return

but then, it feels so silly to rank any one of these movies over the other..  all are wonderful in very different ways!

KJ

• The Return Threshold
  • Respect: +319
« Reply #100 on: December 21, 2017, 04:58:15 PM »
+1
New sneak preview trailer! I love the camera movement. Just gorgeous!

why did I tear up watching this? I want this film so bad :(

ono

• Respect: +219
« Reply #101 on: December 21, 2017, 05:10:45 PM »
I can't make out what is said at :43.  Anyone?

wilberfan

• The Meeting with the Goddess
  • Respect: +125
« Reply #102 on: December 21, 2017, 05:17:36 PM »
+1
I can't make out what is said at :43.  Anyone?

It sounds like a woman's name ("Helen" "Eileen"?) and then "...ready?"   But I'm not really sure about that.
"There's shadows in life, baby."

wilder

« Reply #103 on: December 21, 2017, 05:32:21 PM »
+2
This is a scene that’s interesting to compare stylistically to what’s come before - there being the similar part in the department store in The Master. Here, Alma isn’t modeling this dress so much for the patrons as she is for Woodcock...the camera’s straddling the line between being Alma’s POV of the people she’s showing to while keeping enough distance so we can simultaneously look at her. It’s like a culmination of a lot of the things said in the partial commentary for Madame de... In the earlier department store scene, the girl seems more beholden to the blocking, hitting marks so she can interact with the customers, whose positions have been pre-decided. Here, Alma’s movements are controlling the frame, and the camera’s going to go where she goes, keeping the story about Alma and Reynolds’ interior world even when they’re not physically together.

Riley Jonathawinn Drake

• The Call to Adventure
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #104 on: December 22, 2017, 03:36:36 AM »
+2
Vicky Krieps mini interview with a new clip starting at 1:41

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy