Mr. Robot

Started by Tictacbk, July 23, 2015, 11:37:31 PM

Tictacbk

Anyone else watching this show?  I know what you're thinking: "Isn't that a USA show that has Christian Slater in it? That can't possibly be good."  But heres the thing, it's pretty good!  I haven't seen all the eps that are out yet, but the first two were very promising.  I'd definitely recommend it.

polkablues

I love this show. It's weird and smart and different in all the right ways, and Rami Malek is a goddamn star. Recommendation seconded.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Robyn

diggler

Rami Malek was the best thing about The Pacific and he's really good in this. It doesn't feel like a USA show at all.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

Gold Trumpet

Yea, the show is really good so far. It's already starting to tease bigger and crazier things and I don't want the show to nose dive too quickly into the realm of inexplicable, but so far, so good.

Gold Trumpet

Also, if anyone is interested, the show was created by Sam Esmail. Small career profile so far, but he writes a fair amount of the shows and has directed a few as well. Anyways, his movie Comet drops on video on Tuesday. Not the greatest film, but I thought was very well done. What's interesting about it is the juxtaposition it tries to maintain by constantly balancing the dreaminess and allure of love with the inconsistency of someone's self and their continuous doubts about anything that approaches the ultimate definite of love and committing for life when a relationship hits a certain yearly point.  Filmmaking and dialogue wise, you see hallmarks of Mr Robot in Comet.

polkablues

Rami fucking Malek, man...

Garam

This show is really satisfying.

Tictacbk

SPOILERS

What a great first season this has been. It's not without its faults (I can't handle Tyrell's character sometimes, but it seems like they know where they're going with him now), but it's pretty great.  I think plenty of people saw one of the twists coming, in fact the show even mentions that we "knew all along," but the full extent of it wasn't clear, which was nice.  I loved how they owned the Fight Club comparison in this last episode with the "Where is My Mind" nod.

polkablues

Yeah, the show did a really smart thing by treating it like a twist for the character, not the audience. Especially having him realize it midway through an episode instead of at the very end, so the emphasis is less on the twist itself and more on the emotional consequences of it.

Jeremy Blackman

Just started watching, so this is just something small worth mentioning. Can someone explain to me how cable broadcast standards work? They can't show a stray boob and they actually bleeped out a curse word, but they're fine with showing our hero doing 7 different drugs? I was a little surprised to see the "USA" logo in the corner as he snorts morphine. USA: Characters [and drugs] welcome!

This is a bit of a pet peeve, but there were a few too many lingering shots of his various drugs with no particular meaning attached. Like when he drops a joint on the street, and the camera stays on it. "Look! This is definitely not a cigarette! Look at it! Not really sure what we're saying here, but have a look!"

©brad

So this new season so far has been kind of boring and confusing, huh.

Tictacbk

Quote from: ©brad on August 15, 2016, 12:47:23 PM
So this new season so far has been kind of boring and confusing, huh.

I unfortunately agree. I'm really hoping this next episode clarifies some things. They're riding too many horses at once. I'm having trouble clarifying what the central conflicts/goals of this season are and not in like a fun puzzle kind of way. Sure, our protagonist/narrator is losing his mind, but I can only handle that type of storytelling for so long. I'm not saying they should spoon feed the audience, but it's time to pull some shit into focus. Elliot is all over the place... He's trying to figure out where Tyrell is, he's trying to shake Mr. Robot with routine/drugs/whatever, he's randomly approached in the park by some kind of Silk Road founder, he's hacking the FBI, he's breaking Craig Robinson's rules, he's hallucinating. And all of this feels only vaguely related to everything that happened in the first season. If I didn't love season 1 so much, that multicam sitcom shit probably would've been the end for me.

This has been a negative post, but it's not all bad, and there's still half a season to smooth everything out. I'll keep watching. In other news, this just got renewed for a season 3. 

Tictacbk

Quote from: Tictacbk on August 16, 2016, 01:31:22 PM
I'm really hoping this next episode clarifies some things.

It did.

Tictacbk

Just for the record, I'm ready to say Mr. Robot has returned to form. Great stuff.