Tusk

Started by MacGuffin, July 25, 2014, 11:25:10 PM

MacGuffin

Release date: September 19, 2014

Starring: Haley Joel Osment, Genesis Rodriguez, Justin Long, Michael Parks

Directed by: Kevin Smith

Premise: When his best friend and podcast co-host goes missing in the backwoods of Canada, a young guy joins forces with his friend's girlfriend to search for him.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

HASHTAG WALRUSYES
My house, my rules, my coffee

nobody has said it yet? really?

the human walrus

LAME

mogwai

Justin walrus Long pic that Kevin Smith posted on his facebook page: (Spoiler?)

Btw: "I don't want to die in Canada" is quite a funny line!

Reel

if anyone else like me is baffled by this premise, here's a podcast clip where the idea for the movie was born. Whether you find the story interesting or not,  you have to admit it's pretty cool to hear him coming up with it in real time.

wilder

Bahaha wow. That made my week. I want to see this now.

Pwaybloe

I'm such an idiot for watching that trailer. I don't know why I'm even in a Kevin Smith thread. It's amazing how he continually stays in front of audiences.

Tictacbk

Haha I can't believe how incredibly dumb that is.  Did he crowd fund this or something?  Seems like the type of idea thats so ridiculous people donate to it just to see it seen through.

Reel

he said this:

"even though I love the crowdsource financing model and wish I could go swimming in their deep, cash-rich waters, it's just not to be for me. There's a reason I said that shit about not crowdsource-funding Clerks III out loud and in print: so I wouldn't ever leave myself that option. As easy as it would be to pull together a few million for Tusk from the SModcast audience alone, I've gotta leave that money for the new generation of filmmakers -- none of whom are gonna find fat patrons if said Medicis are busy funding the ideas of someone like me. I already have connections in the movie business and can always find backing if I apply myself."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/kevin-smith-talks-tusk-639293?page=1

Jeremy Blackman

Huh. That post caused me to really like Kevin Smith for a moment.

I also liked his HDTGM episode, actually.

mogwai

Did anyone go and see this?

modage

Quote from: mogwai on September 29, 2014, 12:15:15 PM
Did anyone go and see this?

I did. I hadn't seen the last couple KS movies (Red State, Cop Out) and hated the couple before that (Zach & Miri, Jay & Bob) but thought I'd give this a shot since the premise was crazy, the reviews were pretty good out of TIFF and I did love him in high school. What the hell, right? It could be fun!

It was truly awful. Unfunny, juvenile, incredibly cheap looking and just fucking boring. I don't know how it is possible but Kevin Smith has actually gotten worse as a filmmaker.

I will never see another Kevin Smith movie.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

mogwai

That's sad because the trailer seemed promising. I saw one scene online and it's the one where Justin Longs character arrives at Canadian customs. That whole scene with the set looks very weird and a more of a bad snl sketch.

modage

Yeah, I mean I went in with no axe to grind. I had read the reviews that basically implied he'd been reborn as a low-budget horror filmmaker and I was ready to dive in.

There is a scene set in a fast food restaurant where 3 characters are talking that feels like it goes on for 25 minutes long. It is completely unfunny, there are even more unfunny digressions and flashbacks and it just looks cheap as fucking hell (there are literally zero extras in this restaurant and the one other person to enter the scene is Smith's wife). It's like he thinks he's writing the basement scene in Inglourious Basterds but he's just nowhere near that planet.

What's even worse is like, it can't even just be a terrible movie, it's got to have in-jokes and setup for his new terrible universe/franchise with introducing his and Depp's daughters characters (stay tooned for that snootchie booche)
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Kevin Smith Secures 'Clerks III' Financing Thanks to 'Tusk'

Kevin Smith has been talking about making "Clerks III" for years, but it sounds like his script may finally become a sequel, thanks to the box office bomb "Tusk."

"'Tusk' was the absolute bridge to 'Clerks III,'" Smith said during Friday's "Hollywood Babble-On," his weekly live podcast. "Because of 'Tusk' I got my financing for 'Clerks III.'"

"Tusk" stars Justin Long ("Accepted") as a podcaster who ventures to a secluded location in Canada by himself to interview a seafarer, played by Michael Parks ("Red State"), who is obsessed with walruses, and wants to turn Long's character into one.

After 10 days in theaters, "Tusk" has only managed to make $1.4 million, and has received mostly negative reviews. It must, however, have at least one very wealthy fan, because he's managed to fund a movie that The Weinstein Company — which produced "Clerks II" and owns the rights to the franchise — refused to finance for $6 million, but agreed to distribute.

"A year and change ago I was desperately trying to get 'Clerks III' made for the 20th anniversary and that desperation — I must have reeked of it because I couldn't f–king find money and shit," Smith said during the podcast at the Hollywood Improv. "But it was 'Tusk,' people going 'Holy f–k, what else do you have?' and I was like 'Clerks III' and they're like 'done'. So, everybody that's like, 'He failed, he failed,' I'm like 'Thank you, I failed into doing 'Clerks III.'"

Smith announced plans for a third and final outing for New Jersey convenience store clerks Randal (Jeff Anderson) and Dante (Brian O'Halloran) in March of 2013. He later said it would be his "last cinematic effort as a writer/director," but then later become enthralled with "Tusk," and has since announced a religious rapture comedy, "Helena Handbag," as well as a Christmas-themed horror movie and a "Tusk" spinoff starring his daughter, Harley Quinn Smith.

Smith said late last year that he expects to start production on "Clerks III" in May. Currently, he's begging his 2.66 million Twitter followers to give "Tusk" a chance in theaters, where it is "gasping for air."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks