Better Call Saul

Started by Kal, September 11, 2013, 04:29:39 PM

Reel

Quote from: ono on June 05, 2014, 05:43:33 PM
1st photo from set

Barely anyone cared about BB until season 4 and this ones picking up buzz from the first onset photo? Christ Almighty, that's a lotta pressure

Sleepless

Was inevitable. The thing I'm most surprised about is how they're making things more difficult for themselves by not setting expectations. Is this going to be tonally similar to Breaking Bad or is is going to be a bite lighter and more comedic? Seems to me that it could naturally lean towards the latter, especially since it's a prequel so there are limitations to what's at stake. If that is the case, then all the more reason for them to dictate the anticipation of audiences who are expecting more of the same.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

©brad

Huh? Why should they have to dictate anything or set any expectation at this point? I think it's better to keep people in the dark and let the first promo/episode be more of a surprise.

Sleepless

True. I'm getting ahead of myself.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Drenk

AMC renewed the show for a second season. Better be good. (And the premiere is moved to early 2015.)
Ascension.

Brando

Quote from: Drenk on June 19, 2014, 05:13:19 PM
AMC renewed the show for a second season. Better be good. (And the premiere is moved to early 2015.)

If it was any other network, I would take the second season renewal as a good sign on the quality of the series. It's AMC. They have a history of screwing with every major show on their network.
If you think this is going to have a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

Drenk

Quote from: Brando on June 20, 2014, 11:07:34 AM
Quote from: Drenk on June 19, 2014, 05:13:19 PM

If it was any other network, I would take the second season renewal as a good sign on the quality of the series. It's AMC. They have a history of screwing with every major show on their network.

Yes. Like I read on the AV Club:

QuoteOn most networks, this would be read as a serious sign of confidence in a program yet to debut, and everything about the show—from its star (Bob Odenkirk) to its producers (Peter Gould and Vince Gilligan)—would be seen as a reason to start getting seriously psyched about the show's upcoming debut. And, yeah, we're going to continue being cautiously optimistic.

But here's the thing: The network doing this is AMC. You know the one. It's entirely possible the hidden subtext of this move is "Jesus. Mad Men is ending!" Then all of the executives ran around their offices in a blind panic, screaming and shouting, until one of them happened to notice a screener of the first Better Call Saul laying on a table. "WHAT IS THAT?!" that unnamed executive said, before another chimed in with, "I DON'T REMEMBER ORDERING IT, BUT LET'S GIVE IT 13 MORE EPISODES!" And thus was a second season born!

Probably it's just good, though. Probably.
Ascension.

Jeremy Blackman

Better Call Saul will exist outside of death and linear time

http://www.avclub.com/article/better-call-saul-will-exist-outside-death-and-line-206421

While most of the attention of the last 24 hours has been focused on Community, let us not forget we're also getting more of another Sony show that ended before the Internet was ready. Better Call Saul is set to debut the first of its two promised seasons next year, and we already know that it will feature appearances from Breaking Bad characters we thought we lost, before we learned that nothing stays dead anymore, ever since we moved all our TVs over this Indian burial ground. And according to a new interview with executive producer Peter Gould, those possibilities are endless, seeing as Better Call Saul exists outside of time, like all immortal beings.

"One of the great things about having a timeline which is flexible is that perhaps some of it takes place before Breaking Bad, during Breaking Bad and after Breaking Bad," Gould said of the show's philosophy of eternalism, in which scenes will alternate back and forth over several decades, rather than just taking place in the 1980s as initially suspected. In Saul's world, all of the events before, after, and even during Breaking Bad are happening simultaneously, all of their awful consequences looping endlessly across the infinite. And like God himself standing outside the block universe, this means no one is truly dead to Peter Gould—not even Walter White, who he believes will return in some capacity, simply because he wills it.

Still, having watched Breaking Bad, even Gould knows that such absolute power can have terrible consequences, so he doesn't plan to abuse it by having Saul to lean too heavily on its predecessor. "We want to make a show that stands on it own, is its own story and is a brand extension," Gould said, before disappearing into the fourth dimension.

In light of Gould's remarks, Aaron Paul's apparent indecision as to whether he will or won't be returning can actually be seen as an expression of the uncertainty inherent in measuring exactly where Better Call Saul will be along its fluid Breaking Bad space-time continuum. Let's call this the "Heisenberg uncertainty principle," which we just came up with.

jonas

First Saul billboard is up in Albuquerque!! The phone number brings up a message from "James McGill" (AKA Odenkirk with an Irish accent)

More info: http://www.avclub.com/article/better-call-saul-billboard-working-phone-number-po-207261
"Mein Führer, I can walk!" - Dr. Strangelove

©brad

I'll watch anything penned by Vince and company but I'm still having a lot of trouble mustering any real excitement for - actually you know what, forget I said anything. I'm sure this show will become to next best thing ever and I'll be eating my words like I do. Forget this post happened.

ono

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

jonas

Airing the first 2 episodes on back-to-back nights!  :bravo:

Press Release:

AMC ANNOUNCES TWO-NIGHT PREMIERE TELEVISION EVENT TO LAUNCH NEW DRAMA SERIES "BETTER CALL SAUL"

Series to Debut Sunday, February 8 at 10:00 PM ET/PT

With Second Episode to Air Monday, February 9 at 10:00 PM ET/PT

Created by Vince Gilligan and Peter Gould,

Executive Produced by Gran Via's Mark Johnson and Melissa Bernstein and

Produced by Sony Pictures Television

New York – November 20, 2014 – AMC announced today a two-night television event for the premiere of its next new drama series "Better Call Saul." The prequel to the award-winning series "Breaking Bad," "Saul" will debut on Sunday, February 8 at 10:00 p.m. ET/PT with its second episode airing the next day, Monday, February 9 at 10:00 p.m. The series will then continue to air Mondays at 10:00 p.m. ET/PT on AMC. From "Breaking Bad" creator Vince Gilligan and "Breaking Bad" writer Peter Gould, "Better Call Saul" focuses on the evolution of the popular "Breaking Bad" character Saul Goodman, portrayed by Bob Odenkirk, before he ever became Walter White's lawyer. The series is executive produced by Gilligan, Gould, Mark Johnson ("Breaking Bad," Diner, Rain Man) and Melissa Bernstein ("Breaking Bad," "Rectify," "Halt and Catch Fire") with "Breaking Bad" alums Thomas Schnauz and Stewart A. Lyons as co-executive producers for Sony Pictures Television.

"This February, during AMC's first ever two-night series premiere event, we're going to introduce Jimmy McGill to the world. Known to 'Breaking Bad' fans as Saul Goodman, viewers will soon discover Saul wasn't always Albuquerque's top criminal (criminal) lawyer," said AMC President Charlie Collier. "Huge thanks to Vince Gilligan, Peter Gould, Bob Odenkirk, our partners at Sony, and the entire team. We're thrilled to be cooking together again."

Joining Odenkirk are series regulars Jonathan Banks ("Breaking Bad," Wiseguy) as Mike Erhmantraut, Michael McKean (This is Spinal Tap) as Chuck McGill, Rhea Seehorn ("Franklin & Bash," "House of Lies") as Kim Wexler, Patrick Fabian ("Big Love," "Grey's Anatomy") as Howard Hamlin and Michael Mando ("Orphan Black," "The Killing") as Nacho Varga – characters that will represent both legitimate and illegitimate sides of the law.

"Better Call Saul" is set six years before Saul Goodman meets Walter White. When we meet him, the man who will become Saul Goodman is known as Jimmy McGill, a small-time lawyer searching for his destiny and hustling to make ends meet. Working alongside and often against Jimmy is "fixer" Mike Erhmantraut, a beloved character first introduced in "Breaking Bad." The series will track Jimmy's transformation into a man who puts the criminal in "criminal lawyer."

As previously announced, season one of "Better Call Saul" will consist of 10 episodes; the series has already been greenlit for a second season of 13 episodes.
"Mein Führer, I can walk!" - Dr. Strangelove