Better Call Saul

Started by Kal, September 11, 2013, 04:29:39 PM

Sleepless

John Shiban directed last week's episode. That's all I'm gonna say.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

jonas

"We were just supposed to scare you, that's all." - Salamanca Thugs

“Try harder next time” - Mike

Next scene: The Cousins(!!) pop out on a rooftop, pointing a finger-gun at Kaylee

I guess Hector listened  :shock:

Was surprised not to see Chuck this week, especially after his conversation with Kim. I think it's very obvious to Chuck that Jimmy and Kim have something going on, Jimmy's plea to try to save her job by him quitting practicing law (as "James McGill") tipped his hand.
"Mein Führer, I can walk!" - Dr. Strangelove

Drenk

That show is tremendous. I'm just not a big fan of Mike's storyline. Even his episode, last year, didn't do much to me. The rest is so much more interesting and unique...

Ascension.

polkablues

I'm always amazed by how well Gilligan's shows are able to use tiny, seemingly mundane details like a too-small cup holder, or a light switch with a "do not touch" label, and mill such grist out of them to give us insight into a character's interior world. It's just astoundingly good writing.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Jeremy Blackman

What killed me in this one was Howard's smile. The episode was masterfully directed.

I agree about those character-defining details. I think we've had more than enough of the cup holder, though. I'm not sure I needed four installments of that subplot; I got the picture after the first one.

The light switch was leagues better. You had the clever contrast of Jimmy ignoring that sign in the episode, but forced to obey the emergency exit sign in the cold open.

Howard's treatment of Kim is almost enraging at this point. I think it's forcing me to remember that he never really seemed to have a great deal of respect for her. The threat of his disapproval always seemed to be looming.

Also, as a boss, Howard is just the worst. You're not supposed to cultivate drama and resentment. And you should not make your employees believe they're one mistake away from banishment. They'll simply decide not to work in an unfair environment, as Kim is (hopefully) doing.

I wonder if we'll see any further justification for Howard's "approach" to Kim. Because even considering everything we already know, he's being a dumb baby.

Jeremy Blackman

This was the most table-setting of table setting episodes. And a step down from last week. But it was still pretty good.

Howard was actually the highlight for me. The actor just nailed everything about that character. Subtleties within nuances.

I hate to say this, but the Kaylee actress is just really bad. That scene made me physically cringe. I guarantee she's a stage actor by the way she tries to blast you with cuteness — enunciating sharply, projecting loudly, and doing that sing-songy garbage. That may work on the stage, but not in a small kitchen with Jonathan Banks. Replace her now before it's too late. This has been Jeremy Blackman's Child Actor Takedown.™

Drenk

The Kaylee plot—which isn't really a plot about Kaylee (Kaylee is worse than a McGuffin, by the way (protecting the child we don't give a flying fuck about...) )— is what I didn't want that show to do before I watched it, and what I thought that show would be...

I couldn't image Chuck and Kim, though. And that's why Better Call Saul is great. Mike had one episode worth of story and it happened last year. Now, he has nothing.

Once again: it's a shame because everything else is great...

PS: Kaylee is not just a child we don't give a flying fuck about or a Kaylee Guffin. She's also a cyborg because she doesn't grow up between BCS and Breaking Bad. No offense to 8 years old playing with 4 years old in a playground...
Ascension.

Sleepless

The Kim storyline is clearly going to end in tragedy - I just don't know how yet. Either Jimmy blows it big time and something cataclysmic happens sooner rather than later, or she eventually decides to put up with his shit forever more... Then he randomly disappears from their happy ever after one day thanks to WW.

Agree with the comments on Mike's storyline. There have been occasional moments, but on the whole it feels like they've run it into the ground. I assume they're driving towards him hooking up with Gus now. But then what?
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Jeremy Blackman

This was half-heartedly suggested on the Rotten Tomatoes podcast, but it's actually possible Kim is around in some capacity in Breaking Bad. That show never goes too deep into Saul's personal life. Maybe they're still friends! Maybe he keeps her in the basement. We have no clue.

Tragedy does seem to be the most likely outcome. But does Saul seem like someone who has faced a major tragedy in the last few years? I'm not totally convinced. It would be funny if the Kim relationship simply fizzled out.

polkablues

During her interview with the rival firm a couple episodes ago, they made a point of her talking about how she's originally from some small town in Nebraska, or near Nebraska, I don't remember exactly. I have a feeling she ultimately goes back to the Midwest after everything falls apart for her and Jimmy, and at some point in the future she's going to be shopping at a certain mall in Omaha and go into a certain Cinnabon franchise.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Jeremy Blackman

Wow. I almost feel like you should spoiler tag that one. This would be amazing.

Sleepless

N

Fucking cliffhanger, what a prelude to the final episode. I'm gonna be itching all week.

Robyn

SPOILERS

yeah, that was good  :bravo:

it would be really interesting if he really died there 

the finale will be amazing

Jeremy Blackman

SPOILS

It would actually not surprise me if he dies here. Chuck's story seems complete, doesn't it? Kim even delivered a definitive relationship summary at his house. We also got other pieces of Chuck's past this season that helped make sense of their history and the larger picture.

This is my feeling: If something tragic is going to happen to Chuck, how could this not be that moment?

If not death, maybe he becomes a vegetable as a result of this TBI. And his electrosensitivity is cured.

Other things I enjoyed:

- Requiem For A Dream cam
- The way I immediately knew that Kim knew. What a performance. Also, the complexity of her tolerance for Jimmy.
- Mike simultaneously dominating and suffering a moral defeat. Was this his last half measure?

Now all of Kim's work with Mesa Verde (the entirety of her work day) is going to be tainted, in her mind, by Jimmy's corruption. She will always know she never got that account legitimately. And that she did not strike out on her own legitimately. Jimmy robbed her of that. Seems just as bad as working with him directly.