Better Call Saul

Started by Kal, September 11, 2013, 04:29:39 PM

ono

ono

am i the only one that loves the fact that this looks exactly like brba

ono

No.  No you are not.  First thing I noticed about that teaser.

ono

LOLOL did he just call that woman 'sausage'?!?

ono

gorgeously shot. geniusly written. fresh and original while still being reminiscent. this is gilligan at his most artistic and it works PERFECTLY.
odenkirk was fucking shakespearean.

Lottery

Fantastic. 03 pretty much covers it.

Also, best intro in the entire world.

episode two didn't disappoint in the least.
most exciting show on tv.

spoilers
episode one:

. the intro of course is perfect. visually, it's both beautiful and upsetting. the initial shots of the cinnamon before we realize what it is just drop you in and kind of fire your synapses for a second to prepare you for the next frames.

. the first courtroom scene we see defines the character perfectly. we see him rehearsing in the bathroom while everyone patiently waits. they're waiting for him but there doesn't seem to be any ill feelings. the scene feels like normally it would be the amateur lawyer coming to prove himself and being judged by everyone. but it's like they just accept him and let him do what he does because that's just what happens. the build up is so perfect because we have no idea what he's talking about, so the tape reveal is just comically jarring.

. we now see why saul was so adamant about the nail salon.

. we discussed in the whiplash thread how often the car crash from adaptation was used, and this is probaly my favorite instance. i literally did not expect it.

. didn't know that was his brother at first which led to some confusion, rewatch made the scenes with chuck very lovely. the lanterns? crazy beautiful man.

. the tuco reveal was pretty startling

anyway, its amazing and genius. thats all.

N

Yup. You pretty much nailed it 03. First two episodes are a strong opening, Gilligan made the most exciting show on television again. Can't wait to see the rest of it.

Jeremy Blackman

Spoilers for ep 1 & 2

The premier episode was like Quirky Delights: The Television Show. I loved it.

In particular, I'm relieved that this won't be another Lone Gunmen. It so clearly and credibly takes place in the same universe as Breaking Bad. And they've nailed the tone perfectly. Seems to have just the right weight and darkness to it. It's not goofy, and there's not much humor at Saul's expense, which is working well.

Not sure Michael McKean is the best casting choice. I don't buy him as Saul's brother; apparently he's 17 years older than Odenkirk, and it is apparent. I first thought he was Saul's dad or step-dad, then I was thinking uncle. There's something about him besides his age that's not working for me yet, but I'll keep an open mind. I can see him doing interesting things with more dramatic material, which may be coming.

Highlights for me:

- The epic intro, obviously (although cold weather is really not that bad, guys)
- Saul's first case with the three boys. Possibly the best scene in both episodes.
- Tuco reveal
- Everything with the skaters