Better Call Saul

Started by Kal, September 11, 2013, 04:29:39 PM

Drenk

Every scene with Fring is some variation of what's in Breaking Bad. I'm bored of this: "he's nice/oh he looooks dangerous now/oh he is calm again and very eloquent !" Fring is a great character but he is also a very cartoonish one. I couldn't be less interested by a prequel for his story. They are chained to Breaking Bad. The first scene of this week episode was a long wink to the cold open of an episode in season 4. The best scene by a wide margin being the scene in season 4 of Breaking Bad...

I'm very disappointed...
Ascension.

Sleepless

Honestly began to think there would be no Jimmy in this episode. Agree with pretty much everything that's already been said. Think the explanation Gus gave to his employees was really weak though. Thought it would have been much more convincing if he's confessed to having a gambling addiction/loaned money or something. I really hope the Mike/Gus stuff fades more into the background going forward though. I guess Mike's "origin story" (I hate that phrase) is somewhat tied to Saul's, but Jimmy's is actually the more interesting and it's really getting the short shrift so far this season.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

RegularKarate

I liked all the Fring stuff. I liked seeing him a little less together.

I assume all of this comes together so that these storylines are less separate. If not, the worst thing about it is that the title of the should have been "Better Like Mike" or something.

I think the expectations for this show are often misplaced. It's really smart storytelling, but it's still pulply, unbelievable, nonsense.

SPOILS
I don't think she recorded the conversation, but I do think that maybe the address Mike gave him was the address of the place where the tape is being kept.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: RegularKarate on May 05, 2017, 10:52:16 AMSPOILS
I don't think she recorded the conversation, but I do think that maybe the address Mike gave him was the address of the place where the tape is being kept.

That sounds plausible. It seems weird for Kim to be excited to break in somewhere and steal a tape, though.

RegularKarate

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on May 05, 2017, 02:43:44 PM
That sounds plausible. It seems weird for Kim to be excited to break in somewhere and steal a tape, though.

Yeah, that's exactly what I thought, but then I was like "regardless, it seems like she IS excited about something shady".

jonas

*SPOILS*

Easily best episode of the season, maybe best of the show so far. Micheal McKean knocked it out of the park this week and Odenkirk did a great job of looking totally deflated in taking his brother down a very large peg in front of the court. Gloves are off now, wonder how it will shake out for Chuck.

Oh, and HUEL!  :bravo:
"Mein Führer, I can walk!" - Dr. Strangelove

Drenk

That's what I was talking about. That episode is the show I love.
Ascension.

Jeremy Blackman

SPOILERS

There was so much beautiful internal foreshadowing. Things were set up just to make it sting that much worse for Chuck in the end. One of my favorites is how Chuck makes sure the court reporter can hear him. Yes indeed, all the details of his mental illness are going on the record for posterity — his legacy permanently damaged.

"Is something in your pocket, Jimmy?" Nope, it's in yours.

I heard a podcast boldly theorize (a couple weeks ago) that perhaps Jimmy drops the McGill name to escape association with Chuck. I think that could end up being true, in a way. It's better to not have people look up this case.

Sleepless

Agree with all of the above. A great episode all around. Didn't miss Mike one bit.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Jeremy Blackman

SPOILERS

I just read a critic say that Chuck is hatching a new plan against Jimmy. But that's wrong, right? It seems like he's motivated to get help for himself. He even called the doctor who was skeptical about his condition.

And I'm going to have to reiterate this. Something is off about Mike's daughter-in-law. She seems manipulative and not genuine, and/or a little crazy. It was worse when she was trying to get a new house, but it's still there. Whenever she talks, it sounds like she's reciting something from memory, not speaking like a human. Is this a problem with the acting, or is it an intended part of her character?

Drenk

It's a problem with the acting, it's there since season 1. That's why it's really hard for me to invest in that storyline.
Ascension.

Sleepless

Was it just me or did the scene with Howard leaving Chuck's seem like it was foreshadowing Howard's death? (After they've been drinking, Chuck asks if he's okay to drive.) Plot wise, it might make sense. What's the worst thing that could happen to Chuck now on top of losing his brother and being forced to confront a mental illness? Losing his business partner and being forced to confront the challenge of running a major law firm when all the employees think he's crazy. It would be a massive jolt and send Chuck ever further down this terrible spiral. But it would be a bit heavy handed for the show, especially given there was no callback to it within the same episode. For some reason that scene stuck out for me. Weird.

Also, that playground chat scene was pretty terrible.

Chalk it up to a couple of "off brand" scenes?

RegularKarate

SPOILERS

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on May 16, 2017, 12:59:08 AM
I just read a critic say that Chuck is hatching a new plan against Jimmy. But that's wrong, right? It seems like he's motivated to get help for himself. He even called the doctor who was skeptical about his condition.

Yeah, we are due for another swing toward really feeling for Chuck again. If he accepts his issue and tries to work on it, we can start to like him again and hope he and Jimmy patch things up.

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on May 16, 2017, 12:59:08 AM
And I'm going to have to reiterate this. Something is off about Mike's daughter-in-law. She seems manipulative and not genuine, and/or a little crazy. It was worse when she was trying to get a new house, but it's still there. Whenever she talks, it sounds like she's reciting something from memory, not speaking like a human. Is this a problem with the acting, or is it an intended part of her character?

Honestly, I think it's both. I think she's a bad actress, but I also think that on paper, it definitely seems like she's taking advantage of him.

Kal

Everyone still watching this? I am really enjoying this season in general but have mixed feelings over what's been happening to move story forward...

I think that given we all know the future (of some major characters at least), I'm anxious to understand how some of the current events get us there. The Mike/Fring stuff is pretty obvious, but the Jimmy/Chuck/Kim is far more interesting and in some ways unexpected.

SPOILERS

- We have really seen all the angles to prove that Chuck is as much as an asshole as Jimmy, because he only wants to win and be right and he doesn't care if he destroys everything to get there. That will probably be his downfall.

- I don't fully understand Kim's attitude. Does he work this hard to distance herself from Jimmy? It's not the money and it's not her career given how things are going. She could get help. So why put herself in that position? The whole situation with the car earlier in the episode was brilliant, and set the ending up perfectly.

- No way Jimmy gets that million dollars, but would be pretty sweet if he did and we get to see him riding high before the inevitable fall.

Fernando

SPOILS S03E09

Pretty much agree with you, the one story I'm more invested is Kim's, but also Nacho's even thou we know that pill exchange will work wonders, it's just a matter if he will make it alive.

The Kim stuff was great, when she was driving after leaving Saul and Francesca I couldn't help to think that either of them should be driving her not because I anticipated the accident but so she could be at the car preparing for the meeting, and then boom, btw I loved how they showed us the car crashed, instead of the typically shot of some car approaching from the front right side door glass it cuts to her with several injuries in her face and probably a broken arm.

Quote from: Kal on June 14, 2017, 12:41:50 AM

- I don't fully understand Kim's attitude. Does she work this hard to distance herself from Jimmy? It's not the money and it's not her career given how things are going. She could get help. So why put herself in that position? The whole situation with the car earlier in the episode was brilliant, and set the ending up perfectly.

Yes, I thought the same thing, she clearly can afford it now, it's the one thing that doesn't make much sense in an otherwise great season.

Quote from: Kal on June 14, 2017, 12:41:50 AM
- We have really seen all the angles to prove that Chuck is as much as an asshole as Jimmy, because he only wants to win and be right and he doesn't care if he destroys everything to get there. That will probably be his downfall.

Agree, Chuck is an insufferable prick and Howard just got a taste of that.

I hope S3 finale is a little longer than usual because there's just so much going on:

* Kim. How her crash will affect her Mesa Verde account? This new one is done right?
* Saul. Will she cash in?
* Future Saul. He collapsed, there has to be something about that.
* Nacho vs Don Hector.
* Chuck vs HHM