Author Topic: Alternative approaches to entertainment distribution/consumption  (Read 12301 times)

wilberfan

• The Meeting with the Goddess
  • Respect: +118
Re: Alternative approaches to entertainment distribution/consumption
« Reply #75 on: December 19, 2017, 06:29:02 PM »
I must admit, I've never really paid any attention to things like that. 

I specifically went to the Chinese Theater last Summer to see "Dunkirk" because of some new-fangled digital laser projection system that reportedly had the best black-levels of any digital projection system out there.  I found myself emotionally disengaged from the film at about the one hour mark--so I had plenty of opportunity to look at things like black-levels, but I didn't.  (I kept checking my watch, tho!)  It would interesting to do a side-by-side comparison.

My only recent thoughts about film-vs-digital is when I went to the New Bev to see "Boogie Nights" a couple of years ago.  I've studied every frame of that film (almost literally), but I only noticed how scratched & "soft" the image looked compared to what I was used to (DVD/Blu-ray releases.)   Really the only specific thing I noticed was that I could clearly read the brand name of the cigarettes Maggie was smoking in the digital releases--but was too soft to make out in the 35mm print that night.

I saw Phantom Thread on celluloid--but black levels were the LAST thing I was paying any attention to that afternoon.

"There's shadows in life, baby."

wilder

• Respect: +1764
« Reply #76 on: December 19, 2017, 06:36:51 PM »
+1
I specifically went to the Chinese Theater last Summer to see "Dunkirk" because of some new-fangled digital laser projection system that reportedly had the best black-levels of any digital projection system out there

I've heard about those but haven't seen anything projected by them. May be worth seeking out...

I saw Phantom Thread on celluloid--but black levels were the LAST thing I was paying any attention to that afternoon.

Confession: I only saw about 5 minutes of the actual movie. I was just so transfixed on the wall. Can't wait to see it again and see that sexy black wall, again. God, what a wall, you dark seductress.

wilberfan

• The Meeting with the Goddess
  • Respect: +118
« Reply #77 on: December 20, 2017, 04:33:48 PM »
Confession: I only saw about 5 minutes of the actual movie. I was just so transfixed on the wall. Can't wait to see it again and see that sexy black wall, again. God, what a wall, you dark seductress.

Great Caesar's Ghost, you're right.  Just came from a Last Jedi screening, and there was a look-how-awesome-we-are prelude by Dolby (or whoever it was in charge of the projection process.)  They had a few seconds of side-by-side of 'standard' black and their black.  Yes, their's was blacker.  But remembering your wall-worship, I quickly looked to the right.  Indeed, she was blackest of them all...
"There's shadows in life, baby."

jenkins

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • Respect: +1461
    • Neon Burrito
« Reply #78 on: January 11, 2018, 01:37:14 AM »
first i was trying to find "The Book of Henry" on xixax, using google, but i ended up on this site that's xixax.biz, okay, and i was curious about this place, looking around it, thinking it was funny that it seemed movie related. i clicked Movies, English, i scrolled. i found Zootopia, which i'd wanted to see before. and i really liked the opening. but then i was like, wait. i could tell, you know. but i couldn't say what movie it was. so i used the end credits to find out about Agent F.O.X..

it all felt semi-exciting to me at the time. this is the Agent F.O.X. synopsis

Super spy Agent F.O.X. arrives in Carrot Town with one objective: infiltrate the community of friendly rabbits and locate a mysterious artifact. But the mission goes awry when the secret agent is mistaken for a distant cousin.

i'm 100% uncertain about why this is its imdb photo

trailer

true story

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy