Community / Parks and Recreation

Started by diggler, April 15, 2011, 04:20:04 PM

Jeremy Blackman

ono

Why not just split it?  Thursday's episodes of Parks were great, and it at least is good enough for its own thread.

pete

the two-part community paintball episode wasn't as good. it was like battle royale and battle royale ii.
the first paintball thing worked because how seriously it took itself and how unbelievably they pulled off something that was at once about paintball but with all the right beats and cues from an overwrought action movie. it used paintball as a metaphor to comically dramatize how badly everyone wants priority registration at a community college, amongst other motifs and jokes. but the point was that it took something very silly and blew it out of proportion.

the second one had much more of a story involving paintball itself - it was more literal I guess? so the joke became not as funny because the whole show was just about players playing paintball.

HOWEVER, that being said, I laughed really loud when Abed saw Annie running off and said "she's kinda awesome today."
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Stefen

Quote from: ono on May 14, 2011, 01:42:26 PM
Why not just split it?  Thursday's episodes of Parks were great, and it at least is good enough for its own thread.

If it gets rid of this silly thread title, DO IT.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Jeremy Blackman

I feel like we've created a sufficiently crucial narrative that would preclude splitting the thread.

modage

They're both watchable and overrated. They share a thread!
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

polkablues

Mod just jumped the shark with that opinion.
My house, my rules, my coffee

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

Quote from: modage on May 14, 2011, 10:33:29 PM
They're both watchable and overrated. They share a thread!

I would have made this Arrested in the Development of Parks and Community Recreation in that case

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

Quote from: modage on May 14, 2011, 10:42:38 PM
These shows wish they were AD.

I'm actually an AD fan myself, but I just don't get the over-love of it.  Same with "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia":  I like that these comedies are taking chances and breaking moulds to an extent, but in the end they're just ridiculous.  And although I don't actually think the shows are overrated, I definitely think many AD fans are known to hype the show up to a status that makes it the know-all-end-all of comedies.  I really think P&R and Community have those same kind of loving cultist fans, and that base can only grow.  It's not like "Modern Family" or "The Middle" where Mom can watch it in the middle of the week and be like "That was cute! Well, off to bed."

Stefen

Mod's acting like ThePlaylist!

But he's right. AD >> these shows.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

diggler

Why do comedies have to compete with each other? I like all of these shows, why do I have to put them in a pissing contest? I think we can all agree we're living in a golden age of TV comedy. If you can take a show like Parks and Rec and call it overrated then you are pretty spoiled.

While we're on the subject, who's overrating these shows anyway? Last I checked, garbage like Big Bang Theory and reruns of Two and a Half Men were still killing them in the ratings.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: ddiggler on May 14, 2011, 11:53:36 PMWhile we're on the subject, who's overrating these shows anyway? Last I checked, garbage like Big Bang Theory and reruns of Two and a Half Men were still killing them in the ratings.

Also, why does Bones have any viewers at all?

tpfkabi

I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

ono

You should.  Nothing wrong with it at all.  The Big Bang Theory is a solid show.  Pilot was a little clunky (but so was the Veronica Mars pilot).  But all-in-all it's one of the few traditional sitcoms on TV that's popular and worthwhile.  How I Met Your Mother falls into this category too (save the yutz of a protagonist -- nah, I'm there for the great supporting cast on that one).