Okay, admit you fell asleep or dozed off while watching...

Started by Stefen, November 10, 2010, 11:50:14 PM

Stefen

For me it was Synecdoche, New York. Just couldn't finish it. I left it on and I'd tune in and out, but never finished it. I vowed to watch it again, but never did. I said fuck it. As of now it's just a fragmented mess of a film in my head. I would wake up and everyone would be different ages with horrible make-up and nothing would make sense and it was just awful. Fires would randomly start and it It made my head want to explode.

I also fell asleep during Once upon a Time in America. And The Mirror by Tarkovsky, but that was more because I was on pain pills and beer. What an experience.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Alexandro

I've fallen asleep with every single Wim Wenders film I've ever seen except Paris, Texas.
I also fell asleep with Julien Donkey Boy the first time I saw it.

A lot of films I now love made me sleep when I was younger, like Persona, Rashomon, a lot of old films. Mean Streets was another.

In recent years, at the cinema, King Kong did it for me. Tried to rewatch it on dvd later and it happened again.

ono

Lawrence of Arabia.  It's effing long!  Spirited Away, the first time.  Still loved it, and falling asleep during a movie like that makes for such pleasant dreams!  Was so tired going into it, though.  First movie I ever remember seeing in a theatre, Pinocchio, I fell asleep for.  Though I remember the whale, so I guess I must've made it through a lot of it.  Lampwick turning into a donkey scared the crap outta me.  But I was 5.  Heh.

Stefen

Quote from: ono on November 11, 2010, 01:41:42 AM
First movie I ever remember seeing in a theatre, Pinocchio, I fell asleep for.

hah same here, except the first movie I remember seeing (and falling asleep in) was La Bamba. RITCHIEEEEE!
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Gold Trumpet

I fall asleep during Songs from the Second Floor every time I try to watch it. I'm on my second strike with that movie so if I swing and miss again, fuck..

Pas

I reckon my father probably has never not fell asleep during a movie. Then he acts like nothing happened and dares talk about the story. He'll even say that things didn't make sense.

I fell asleep a bunch of time during Lawrence of Arabia and also Runaway Train, for some reason

Sleepless

Pirates of the Caribbean 3, PJ's King Kong, I forget others... I've fallen asleep in about 5 films in the cinema since Pirates. Don't recall any before that though.

One of my best mates fell asleep during CMBB. To be fair though, it was a midnight screening and he'd just got off a transatlantic flight earlier in the day. Needless to say that Christmas he got the DVD and a 4 pack red bull.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Pubrick

every malick film the first time i've seen it, but NEVER on subsequent viewings.

same goes for every Bresson film, and as i've said before especially his later ones, they are so short tho that you can watch them again immediately and not waste too much time -- i can't think of any other director that i do this with. last time this happened was Lancelot du lac.. GREAT the second time, first time was a snoozefest with a lot of clip-clopping and general horsing around (literally, i thought the whole film was about a couple of horses  :shock: ).

and bergman, especially the seventh seal.. this however was not fixed with further viewings, the movie is just not that great.
under the paving stones.

Ravi

Champion Souza

RegularKarate

If I fall asleep in the theater, I try to always see the movie again just to give it the benefit of the doubt.

I fell asleep during a midnight sneak of Hellboy during SXSW years ago.  I felt bad because some friends and I met up with Del Torro and Ron Perlman afterward (at a diner).  I lied and said I really liked the movie because at that point, I assumed I would have really liked it if I hadn't fallen asleep.

Oh boy, the second viewing was hard not to sleep through too.

Jeremy Blackman

Wow, this is funny... I never fall asleep during movies, but Synechdoche NY is one of the few I can remember that did put me to sleep.

Pozer

though ive been known to doze off during opening credits these days, recents for me (blind boughts at that!): Synechodoche NY and I'm Not There (this is the title of the stupid Bob Dylan movie not the stupid Joaquin Phoenix movie right?). both CHORES to get through.

last theater snoozer i recall: Return of the King

recent kiddie movie snoozers (also blind boughts): Where the Fanastic Wild Foxes Are

never finished coma inducing crapfest (as of late): Happy Go Lucky

former go to movies to drunkenly doze off to in the late night hours: The Godfather 1&2, Kub/Malicks...

oh yeah, most of PTA's recommendations were ultimate snoozefests for me. Putney Swope...more like Putme Sleep!

Pas

Gamblour.

This is a great thread, because I fall asleep during movies ALL THE TIME. Ironically enough, though, not during Synecdoche, NY. Saw all of that.

The most notorious films have been Smiley Face (because I'm typically stoned as balls when I see it, I think I've fallen asleep all 3 or 4 times I've seen it). Attack of the Clones midnight show, Ichi the Killer, Science of Sleep (which I think improved thru sleeping), and many many others.

Fuck, I fell asleep at a Mastodon concert once. Standing up. No joke.
WWPTAD?