dvd viewing questions?

Started by tpfkabi, April 09, 2003, 10:31:09 PM

tpfkabi

1. when i watch DVDs on my player, sometimes the tint(?) of the film will change. it will go from a light tint to a darker tint and this happens at different times.
is there a cause to this? does this mean the dvd player isn't very good?
maybe i'm not giving enough info, but any suggestions will help.

2. when you watch a mono film (for instance the Criterion Contempt) should the sound only play through the middle speaker (i have 5.1)? i figured a mono soundtrack would just play identical sound through both right and left and through the sub. my dvd player has a surround simulation and this works pretty good. Contempt was hard to hear or understand until i did that.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

bonanzataz

if you're connecting the player through a vcr to the tv, the tint change is macrovision kicking in so you can't copy dvd's to tape. i had a friend with a tv/vcr combo and the player still recognized that as a vcr and would change from really really bright to really really dark. if it's not very severe, then it's probably not macrovision, but if it is so bad you can't even watch a movie, it is macrovision and you'll need a direct connection to the tv.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Cecil

you probably have different settings on your amp, where you can choose from mono, stereo, surround.... just select stereo and the same track will play in the l and r speakers.

as for the tint, yeah make sure your dvd player is connected directly into your tv (and not through a vcr or the amp). the problem could be with your tv. tell us a bit more about your set up

Ravi

Quote from: bigideas

2. when you watch a mono film (for instance the Criterion Contempt) should the sound only play through the middle speaker (i have 5.1)? i figured a mono soundtrack would just play identical sound through both right and left and through the sub. my dvd player has a surround simulation and this works pretty good. Contempt was hard to hear or understand until i did that.

It depends on the disc.  Some discs have the mono soundtrack encoded in the center channel only (1.0) while others have the mono track in both left and right speakers (2.0).  The latter can probably be collapsed to the center channel using Pro-Logic, and the former can be spread to both channels using analogue outputs.  I believe Criterion encodes all mono material as 1.0.

Redlum

Quote from: bigideas1. when i watch DVDs on my player, sometimes the tint(?) of the film will change. it will go from a light tint to a darker tint and this happens at different times.
is there a cause to this? does this mean the dvd player isn't very good?
maybe i'm not giving enough info, but any suggestions will help.

I had this problem before. If you're sending an RGB/YUV single from your dvd via scart, make sure the scart lead is plugged in securely. Try replacing the scart lead altogether. Its more likely to do with the carried signal or the tv than it is with the dvd player.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

bonanzataz

only europeans use SCART. get with the net.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Redlum

You guys only use S-Video?
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Ravi

Quote from: redlumYou guys only use S-Video?

S-Video and component video are the best we use.  On the other end of the spectrum are composite and, for older TVs, RF.

Duck Sauce

I personally cant wait till Samsung comes out with their DVD player with DVI this summer.

tpfkabi

thanks for all your suggestions. i talked to my dad. it's actually the picture tube of the tv.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.