Oldboy (2013)

Started by MacGuffin, November 06, 2008, 11:46:34 PM

polkablues

Quote from: Reelist on November 30, 2013, 03:08:08 PM
I hate to just throw busy work at polka, but I would really like to see some 'updated' Spike Lee posters

My house, my rules, my coffee

Reel

Haha, wow. that's great on so many levels, but I love how pissed Danny Ailleo is at the lone patron.

Ravi

The original Oldboy had a stylization in the visuals and acting that elevated the revenge/film noir aspect of the film. For the most part the remake goes for a grittier style that renders the film rather lifeless. The original had some great touches, like the octopus scene, that were not only fun to watch, but illustrated Oh-Dae-Su's craving to feel something alive, after being alone (and eating nothing but dumplings) for 15 years.

Sharlto Copley isn't a particularly menacing, or even interesting, villain in this. He's a rather generic rich guy with a British accent, without the fiendishness of the villain in the original.

One thing I did like in the remake was that it did a better job of hiding the big twist with the daughter. When I first saw the original I pretty much immediately guessed that the girl was Oh-Dae-Su's daughter, but with the remake I wondered if they even retained that twist.

Overall this was a perfunctory and pointless film. Spike should have gone balls-out with this, but it's just some hack-for-hire shit.

pete

HOW WOULD YOU HAVE GUESSED THAT RIGHT AWAY YOU SICK BASTARD
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Ravi

Quote from: pete on December 03, 2013, 04:19:26 AM
HOW WOULD YOU HAVE GUESSED THAT RIGHT AWAY YOU SICK BASTARD

That's usually my guess whenever there's a sex scene.