The 2008 Xixax Awards

Started by MacGuffin, March 01, 2008, 12:23:24 AM

MacGuffin

Campaigning can be done in this thread.

Quote from: overmeunderyou on March 03, 2008, 08:22:27 AM
If I want to vote for the Blade Runner 5-Disc Blu-Ray set, how do I specify that on the nomination? Are we to specify disc quantity and format (Standard, Blu-Ray or HD)?

If the HD or Blu-Ray release is different than a standard one in terms of content, then specify. In this case, specify which release: Blade Runner Ultimate Edition (with suitcase), or just the 5 Disc, just Final Cut, etc.

Quote from: hacksparrow on March 03, 2008, 10:00:07 AM
Just double-checking that the songs from Once do qualify as Original Music.

Yes, they do.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

grand theft sparrow

Anyone having as much trouble as I am thinking of 5 debut films of note to nominate?  I can only think of three, one of which I haven't even seen.

Pozer

Quote from: MacGuffin on March 03, 2008, 10:07:43 AM
Campaigning can be done in this thread.

For your consideration:

Robert Downey Jr.
Best Supporting Actor - Zodiac

&

Kelly Macdonald 
Best Supporting Actress - No Country For Old Men

Fernando

So Casey Affleck is leading in TAoJJbtCRF? (haha), it's a shame because DDL is a lock on leading (and rightly so), I guess this and other obvious categories will have the runner up nod....anyway:

Casey Affleck for either supporting or leading (runner up), whatever is decided.

Jeremy Blackman

Affleck is definitely leading, along with Pitt. All the others would be supporting.

Remember our general leading/supporting guideline.

"Supporting" under our system is truly supporting. These are characters whose names you might not remember. They occupy much less screen time than the leads, and they're definitely not the focus of the film. Affleck and Pitt, for example, are the focus of that film, so it would be absurd to call either of them supporting.

Note also that the word "leading" doesn't appear in any of our categories:

Best Female Performance
Best Male Performance

Best Supporting Female Performance
Best Supporting Male Performance

We wanted to get away from the idea of a single lead actor, because the leading vs. supporting paradigm certainly can't describe all (or even most) films.

The result is that the top two acting categories are a bit crowded, and we struggle to find supporting nominations (perhaps because we don't think about supporting performances like we should), but it's all for the greater good.

Please ask all other eligibility questions here.

Jeremy Blackman

THE ASSASSINATION OF JESSE JAMES...
performances - Affleck, Pitt

OCEAN'S ELEVEN
performances - Pitt, Clooney, Pacino

THERE WILL BE BLOOD
performances - DDL

NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN
performances - Josh Brolin, Javier Bardem

ACROSS THE UNIVERSE
performances - Evan Rachel Wood, Jim Sturgess, Joe Anderson

MICHAEL CLAYTON
performances - George Clooney, Tom Wilkinson, Tilda Swinton

28 WEEKS LATER
supporting - Robert Carlyle

WALK HARD: THE DEWEY COX STORY
performances - John C. Reilly

THE LIVES OF OTHERS
performances - Ulrich Mühe, Sebastian Koch, Martina Gedeck

THE DARJEELING LIMITED
performances - Owen Wilson, Adrien Brody, Jason Schwartzman

BEFORE THE DEVIL KNOWS YOU'RE DEAD
performances - Philip Seymour Hoffman, Ethan Hawke, Albert Finney

3:10 TO YUMA
performances - Russell Crowe, Christian Bale

MacGuffin

For Your Consideration:

Bruce Greenwood - Supporting Actor - "I'm Not There"

Best Debut Film:
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

picolas

Away From Her and Kong were debuts. now for the consideration part of this post:

don't forget how awesome the score for Assassination was.

and how secretly mindblowing the visual effects in Zodiac were.

and if you're thinking about voting for best trailer, Don't! think of The Invasion.

sorry if that was too much consideration.

EDIT: Carlyle is now considered supporting for 28 Weeks Later.

Gamblour.

Please support Casey Affleck in Assassination of Jesse James for Runner-Up.

Whatever critic said Rocket Science was "this year's little movie that could" called it wroooong. I guess I should see it.
WWPTAD?

grand theft sparrow

FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION

Peter O'Toole for Supporting Male Performance (or Runner-Up) in Ratatouille.

Unless, of course, animated performances are ineligible.

Gold Trumpet

Can I consider Alexander Revisited eligible for Best Film consideration if I voted?

xerxes

FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION

Ryan Gosling - Lars and the Real Girl

Sunrise

For your consideration as Best Film, Best Director, Best Screenplay and Best Editing:

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

If there was an award for Best Closing Credits, The Diving Bell & The Butterfly would win.

"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Gamblour.

Michael Clayton's were also good.
WWPTAD?