Favorite Scorsese Film

Started by Recce, February 06, 2003, 08:07:08 PM

phil marlowe

...but you HATE Goodfellas....

oakmanc234

I just came back from seeing 'Gangs' for the first time tonight and....WOW. I thought it was f***ing brilliant. I dont get alot of the negativity towards this film (there's been alot of acclaim but a fair share of criticism). I wasn't expecting a whole lot and walked out proud that I'd seen this movie. DiCaprio was solid. Day Lewis was amazing. His performance didn't seem like acting...but being possessed completely. He looked like he could murder his co-stars right there on the spot.
Such a masterful piece of work. Flawed like hell, but a flawed masterpiece is still a masterpiece.

It's certainly my favourite Scorcese flick and I dont feel the slightest bit of regret saying that.

But thats just me.
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

Ernie

Never seen a Scorsese movie i didn't like...this is something I can't say for too many filmmakers. Gangs is the lone disappointment really, but it wasn't bad by any means. I love all the rest.

from best to most mediocre...

1. taxi driver
2. goodfellas
3. raging bull
4. mean streets
5. the color of money
6. alice doesn't live here anymore
7. gangs of new york

MacGuffin

I have to make a special mention to Scorsese's "Life Lessons" segment in "New York Stories." I would put that in the top five of my picks. At around 45 minutes, it is actually better than a lot of films that clock in at twice that length, and it's easily one of Nick Nolte's best performances. Beautiful camerawork. An amazing script by Richard Price. Great use of music, especially Procol Harum's songs.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

soixante

Life Lessons is an overlooked gem.  It needs to be put on DVD soon.  Plus, there are some cool iris shots that probably inspired similar shots in PDL (iris shot of Arquette in an airport -- similar to Sandler and Watson walking hand in hand at airport in PDL).  Nolte is fantastic -- just shows what happens when he gets a great script.  This film also does something very hard -- it gets inside the creative process, in this case an abstract painter.  It shows the artistic struggle to put paint on canvas, just as Adaptation shows the struggle to write a script.  Life Lessons ain't my favorite Scorsese film, but it's my favorite Scorsese mini-film.
Music is your best entertainment value.

MacGuffin

Quote from: soixanteLife Lessons is an overlooked gem.  It needs to be put on DVD soon.

April 8th.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

soixante

Thanks for the heads up -- I've been waiting for this one to come to DVD forever.
Music is your best entertainment value.

ShanghaiOrange

Taxi Driver, although I don't think he's made a bad film.
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

Kumar

Taxi driver is the best but Raging bull is a close seconed, and Bringing out the dead was superb, but once again he got beat out of an oscar for American beauty. And now for The Pianist. Man he just cant catch a break. Though both films that beat him are excellent. I still think Raging bull is way better than Ordinary People. Damn the Oscars.
When the going gets werid, the werid turn pro.

cine

Scorsese's "Taxi Driver" was, for my money, the best film of the 70's. His "Raging Bull" was by far the best of the 80's. and "Goodfellas" was the best film of the 90's. However I don't feel "Gangs of New York" will be the best film of the 00's. Perhaps that'll go to "The Aviator" or "Dino", if he ever makes it.

oakmanc234

Sadly, I think we could all call the 'Dino' project dead and buried.
Especially since the new Sammy Davis Jr. bio-pic (with Eddie Griffin as the man) IS to be made in the next year or so. So sad. I mean, how perfect a Scorcese project would 'Dino' have been.........I won't get into it again.
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

he wa also going to make the richard pryor story with damon wayans but that didnt happen

cine

Probably because Damon Wayans would've been awful. I would prefer Will Smith over any Wayans on any day of the week.

But its a real shame about Dino, and its also a real shame that Scorese is still Oscar-less. However, I keep telling everybody that I think this year Scorsese felt good about the winner. As opposed to losing to first time directors who haven't paid their dues as filmmakers, Polanski is somebody Scorsese thinks very highly of.. and since this was like Polanski's "Schindler's List", I'm happy for Scorsese this year.

brockly

definatly taxi driver. goodfellas comes in second.

Sigur Rós

Did everybody forget The Last Waltz?!  :cry: