Poof!

Started by matt35mm, June 12, 2004, 03:11:00 AM

matt35mm

OR
Open QuickTime and do a File: Open URL and enter:

POOF!
10 minutes
33.4 MB

I dunno if clicking it will work, so I think it'd be best to just download it.

Anyhow, please be gentle with the criticisms.  This is my first movie and I was more focused on the technical execution than the story.  So the dialogue and the acting and whole screenplay in general... just... be gentle.

NOTE:  You need a fairly recent version of Quicktime to see this, because it's encoded in MP4 video.

ANOTHER NOTE:  Some people have said that the video and audio play out-of-sync in some parts.  It's not supposed to, but if it does, just ignore it I guess.

pete

the blown out cinematography is pretty cool, a lot of the silhoutte shots are pretty cool, good composition.  the poof thing is pretty cool too.  But, the acting is bad, the dialogue felt unconvincing--like the bedroom exchange, I dunno if it was the acting or the lines, but something about it just made me go "eh."  The ending twist was pretty unimpressive too.
but it looked real good.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

kotte

I really liked how it looked. Some shots better than others but overall a good job...you should be proud.

The text you put up should´ve been explained visually but that's a minor thing.
The performances were really bad. I won't  blame the script (as pete, I don't know if that's the problem) but the dialogue was not well delivered.

I know you were concentrating on the technical side and that's fine. For your next project put all your energy into getting really good performances. That kind of direction is hard to come by.

But overall, you should be proud.

Pubrick

i didn't hav the heart to tell u before, dude, do u know that "Poof" means "Gay" outside america?
under the paving stones.

pete

then does "proof" mean "gray"?
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

matt35mm

Quote from: Pubrickdude, do u know that "Poof" means "Gay" outside america?
I did NOT know that.  Oh well.  Ha.  Then the movie's international title is "The Man Who Wouldn't Stop Disappearing."

matt35mm

Quote from: kotteThe text you put up should´ve been explained visually but that's a minor thing.

I know you were concentrating on the technical side and that's fine. For your next project put all your energy into getting really good performances.

Yeah I put the text there because the jump from the crowd scene to the girl's room tended to confuse people.

I WILL focus on the screenplay and the acting more the next time.  But thanks for thinking that it's technically decent--that was my goal.  I'll make a better Actual Movie next time.

kotte

Quote from: matt35mm
Quote from: kotteThe text you put up should´ve been explained visually but that's a minor thing.

I know you were concentrating on the technical side and that's fine. For your next project put all your energy into getting really good performances.

Yeah I put the text there because the jump from the crowd scene to the girl's room tended to confuse people.

Really? Are you sure? :?
The film itself tells you everything you need to know. You don't feel like your missing something about the plot. I absolutely think you should lose the text.

Again, the film looks great.

Redlum

Nice job. What camera did you use, any additional filters/lenses?

I agree - lose the the text intro. It kind of puts a cap on any ambiguity the thing might have, whether that's misconstrued or completely invented by the viewer it doesn't matter. I really think it damages the film.

Liked the Disneyland T-Shirt by the way. And nice change of colour palette for the 'it was all a dream' scene (even if it was a 'it was all a dream' scene :))
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

matt35mm

I used a Canon GL-2 + Magic Bullet in the computer.  And an Anamorphic lens so that it's genuine widescreen (squished the image and the unsquished it).

The text came about during a rough cut screening and this was someone's suggestion.  But I'll consider taking it out again.

Thanks for the complements and criticisms so far!

Redlum

Cool. That's the combo (minus the Magic Bulet plugin) I'll be using for my next film. You bought the Century Optics adapter didn't you? Cause I'm renting a Optex lens that's pretty much the same thing - seeing your footagte makes me very optimistic (the rule of thirds doesn't work so great on a 4:3 canvas, does it).
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

matt35mm

Widescreen is definitely the way to go.  Yeah the Optex I hear is very similar.  It works great.  Good luck with your project!

ElPandaRoyal

Aside from SOME of the acting, I thought it was a very decent first movie. Nice shots, camera moves, editing, the visual effects were cool and I actually enjoyed most of the dialogue (some of the lines were just badly delivered). I must admit having laughed a lot in two situations, such as the magic show and the desappearing and reappearing in the garden and disappearing again, just in time. Those were priceless. Seriously, congratulations and, considering that after the first film, we can only improve, I think you should be quite pleased with this.
Si

matt35mm

Thanks!  I'm pretty proud of it.  It's what I set out to do.

Glad you enjoyed it!

Chest Rockwell

I liked it. The acting is really all that I would expect froma student film, and none of the dialogue really left any twinges in my spine. I like the technical aspects of it a lot (which is what I really should be commenting on). Especially the editing, I'd say. Photography was nice, too, but I think the crown piece of the short is the editing.

Now I finally understand your avatar  :wink: