Power

Started by matt35mm, March 20, 2004, 03:12:28 PM

matt35mm

I'm preparing to shoot a movie.  The last major thing bugging me is how to shoot exterior stuff with lights and stuff, and I'm not near any AC outlets.

My guess is some sort of portable battery with AC outlets, but I can't find anything that is clearly that.  And if there is something like that, how long would it last and how much noise would it make?

I need AC outlets for a mixer and something like 1500 watts of lights.

What Do I Do???

Lambdacism

the earth has a power; that we can barely not, fathom

the answer is under the soil, friend; always

with few exceptions,

Ghostboy

Depending on isolated you are from your location, you may need a generator. One time I shot in a graveyard in the middle of nowhere and lit it with car headlights and a special Kinoflo kit that ran off car batteries.

Or you can go the classic route and just get a good half mile of extension cords and a surge protector or two.

warmstepvision

This is a very literal answer since i never lit anything in my life and just learning. Depending on the power of voltage you need you can look up ballasts which generate electricity by using the igniter to generate electic cycles across its inner field. This can be very "gaffery" to get into but i assume since they are used with hmi fresnels that they are very much expensive. Now there are also generators the ones i actually have seen put to use. Most run on gasoline a gallon per hour or two maybe? Well those things make quite a bit of noise but generate sometimes up to 2k which can be very productive for a medium lit scene. They go around 300-1000 depending on the noise, stamina and of course power. I hope it touched your question in some way or another.

Oh also for the gasoline powered generators look up hondas they are known for being pretty quiet.

matt35mm

Thanks.  For most scenes, they will be indoors or near some other power outlet, so no problems there for power.

I have a scene just out in the open, but I'm just gonna use sunlight and then have a guy hold a reflector to fill in the harsh shadows.  Good thing the scene doesn't take place at night.