Okay, it's time someone asked it... (Beatles)

Started by Kev Hoffman, April 10, 2003, 10:17:16 PM

Kev Hoffman

Ghostboy

I love the Beatles. I accept all their faults...I know that much of their earlier work was deliberately derivative of other popular rock n' roll, and that their brilliant creative detour with Sgt. Pepper wouldn't have happened without Brian Wilson's influence...but still, I think they do deserve the Number One Band of all time label. In other words, I love them. A lot.

Sigur Rós

Pwaybloe

It's no doubt they were ahead of thier time and are highly influential, but by no means are they my favorite band.  

I prefer the Stones.  They're unpolished, dirty, controversial, and had drug problems.  Plus "Gimme Shelter" and "Cocksucker Blues" are cooler movies.

neatahwanta

The Beatles were shockingly great from Sgt. Peppers to Let It Be...and the diversity, thanks to John's, Paul's, and George's tastes, were staggering.  It all works...greatest modern musical group for sure.  Not many songs more evil than "I am the Walrus".

RegularKarate

Chris Farley: "um.. 'memeber... um you remember on that record, at the end of that song it... it said 'Paul is Dead'?"

Paul McCartney: "Yes"

Chris Farley: "um... that was a hoax right?"

aclockworkjj

neatahwanta

Quote from: mogwaiHelter Skelter is an evil song.

mhm...along with a few others...Blue Jay way as I recall.

Then contrast those songs to something like "She's Leaving Home", which still sends chills down my spine.

ShanghaiOrange

The Beatles :)

Depending on the time of day, either the Stones or the Beatles are my favorite.
Every song from Rubber Soul on, and half the songs before that, were great.
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

bonanzataz

love the older stuff, love the newer stuff, john's solo work is even better.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: bonanzatazlove the older stuff, love the newer stuff, john's solo work is even better.

I like John's solo work, but nothing can beat late Beatles.

But that brings up a good questions... whose solo work is better... John's or Paul's?

Cecil

i prefer the doors and velvet underground

Pedro

Quote from: cecil b. dementedi prefer the doors and velvet underground

Me too, but the Beatles have some great stuff also.

Cecil

i think theyre great but i rarely listen to them. its too... happy pappy "i love you"-ish for my tastes.

i only listen to sad, sad songs... pour your misery down on me

MacGuffin

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanBut that brings up a good questions... whose solo work is better... John's or Paul's?

George's. "All Things Must Pass" is essential.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks