Why do some folk hate Magnolia so passionately?

Started by Marty McSuperfly, April 17, 2003, 05:59:15 AM

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

its a film that was not made for everyone to like, in fact tons and tons of people who say they love the film, have no fucking clue as to why it is great, they just like it because its not mainstream.

neatahwanta

Quote from: SoNowThenBut I have a bit of a theory about the "common moviegoer" not liking Magnolia. Most films that seem to do well always push a message that says "do what you like, follow your heart no matter who it affects, and good things will happen". I personally hate shit like this. Magnolia seemed to say that "we all do bad things, we have to look back and realize this, and try to be more responsible in the future". This is all summed up in Rose's line "you should know better". The common filmgoer doesn't like to feel guilty at the end of a movie, and hates the idea that he is responsible to try and fix his own stupid actions. So, they end up "not getting the point" of Magnolia, and they tell us it's a stupid movie, because it doesn't excuse them from life like most popcorn movies do.

Yup.

Ernie

Yeah, I definitely agree with SoNowThen...most people just like what they're used to in films. Magnolia's message was too honest and new for a lot of them.

I fucking hate the whole "do what you like...keep going...things will work out" philosophy too. Things don't always work out no matter how hard you try. I know that sounds mega fucking cynical but it's true. And no this is not coming from a bitter old washed up infomercial-maker that never made it in film...I haven't even graduated high school yet...and I'm not bitter, I'm pretty optimistic...I just refuse to believe that how hard you try to achieve something ALWAYS has an affect on whether or not you achieve it. Sure, it USUALLY does...but not ALWAYS. Sometimes you will be denied by no fault of your own...not for the lack of trying...just because that's what the fuck happened. It's called bad luck.

I don't know if I'm right or not...whatever.

Victor

i have a friend who ive always told to 'see magnolia, its my favorite movie'. so last week he did, and now he says, 'i stopped paying attention after the first twenty minutes, the guy was fucking the girl on the couch, and that was cool, but then it was just stupid. tom cruise was a sex guru, that guy was a washed up game show kid, and just, there was no story, it was so stupid. i couldnt even watch the rest of it, with the frogs or whatever that i heard was cool, but i couldnt take it. kevin smith was right, this movie sucks.' and he's told me this every time hes seen me in the last three days. at first i argued my points a bit, but its utterly useless, now i just shrug. but the thing is though: if magnolia truly did suck, it wouldn't have made that much of an impression with him where now he has to go out of his way, break normal conversational flow just to say it did. cause he's not really the type to bust my balls, but he is over this. magnolia is truly one way or the other, theres no middle ground, its either a pure three hour cinematic orgasm, or the worst diarreha youve ever had, so much so that you have to kill yourself before its over. but fuck that shit that we're all pretentios snobs for liking it. if anyone here is a pretentious snob, odds are youre liking magnolia because a lot of people hate it. thankfully most of you are not that, and can see past all that hype and other bullshit and respect it for the cinematic masterpiece is truly is.

i just dont get how anyone can watch melora in that last shot and not get a moviegasm.
are you gonna eat with us too?

Duck Sauce

I tried to get my friends to watch Magnolia and they do and they either end up walking out half way, playing with their cell phone or let it finish and then say "that movie was sick!" just because I had raved about it.

Jon

My one friend who liked Fight Club liked Magnolia a lot. He thought it was brilliant. He likes Fight Club more, though.

EL__SCORCHO

I think it's a huge compliment to Paul that a lot of people hate magnolia. Indifference is the enemy to any artform, and the fact that people hate it and not simply dislike it, means they reacted strongly to the movie.

The worst movies are the ones people kind of like/dislike on the first viewing and then forget about a week or 2 later. I think whenever you have a movie that polarizes audiences so much, it's a success no matter what.

Sleuth

I like to hug dogs

fulty

Quote from: MrBurgerKingI don't understand what you're saying. Care to make an analogy so I can better understand?
Okay.
Say you're working at McDonald's.
You learn how to make a Big Mac.
You make a bunch of them exactly the way you are taught.
You sell them to everybody, and things are fine.
One day, you make one for yourself at lunch break.
You eat it.
Yuk.
The next day you make it with 3 patties and extra sauce..!!
Yum..!!
So you start making all of them this way, for all the customers.

Now, 2 things could happen...

Some customers give you compliments and ask for you to make the special Big Mac.  Soon, a big-wig discovers you and thinks you are great and gives you your own franchise and you become rich and famous.

Or, the manager finds out, and you are fired on the spot.

Some things you control, some things are chance.
Tinapop  

I used to be smart.... now I'm just stupid.

oakmanc234

A friend said she didn't like it because she felt it was 'such a miserable movie' about miserable characters, with the long pay-off at the end of three hours being raining frogs. She said she doesn't know how I could watch it over and over and was amazed by how a guy like me (who owns many an action flick) could like it so much????????
I just said that watching it brings me joy, that I enjoy watching it.

I lent it to a mate a while ago because he wanted to see a PTA flick before watching 'PDL' (to see what kind of film Sandler was making a departure too). He got to the bit where Frank's lie is revealed, saw me the next day and asked 'Man, does it get any better?'. He saw the rest of the film a few days later and said it was a waste of time.

I guess its just one of those films that you either go along for the ride or just get impatient with.
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

Cecil

Quote from: SoNowThenBut I have a bit of a theory about the "common moviegoer" not liking Magnolia. Most films that seem to do well always push a message that says "do what you like, follow your heart no matter who it affects, and good things will happen". I personally hate shit like this. Magnolia seemed to say that "we all do bad things, we have to look back and realize this, and try to be more responsible in the future". This is all summed up in Rose's line "you should know better". The common filmgoer doesn't like to feel guilty at the end of a movie, and hates the idea that he is responsible to try and fix his own stupid actions. So, they end up "not getting the point" of Magnolia, and they tell us it's a stupid movie, because it doesn't excuse them from life like most popcorn movies do.

'course that's just my opinion... I could be wrong.

read this thread http://www.xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=689&start=0

Victor

so i was at this party around the time of pdl and was real drunk and got in this heated argument with a guy whose claim to fame was that his father used to work on a few woody allen films. i was like, motherfuckers we all gotta go to union square and see punch drunk lovce, and most of the people were like yeah fuck yeah i wanna see that shit. but this guy was like pta fuckin sucks, magnolias a piece of shit. so i, drunk, feling like a good fight, got in it with him. it was a truly excellent debate, in that, i won, no doubt about it. this guy was proven without a doubt tto be a jackass and a moron. he wouldnt let me finish a sentence and after i while i even had to break out the dana carvy-ross perot impression "can i finish can i finish can i finish?" anyway ive been meaning to tell you guys about this for a long time, but ive always forgotten but now that im nbice and drunk i fel like it again. but it was cool we argued about the ending, as well as the ending to fight club (which fucking kicked) and the ending to wonder boys(which he loved but i thought was weak, even though i like the reast of the movie). in the end i got the respect of everyone in the party and he wound up crying in the corner (just kidding i bought him a beer and it was all cool) but till this day my friends say he still complains about what a jackass and an idiot i am, and ive hardly even thought about him since until now, so i guess pta makes an impact, no matter what kind of an impact it is, its impossible to ignore, and either you can pout your bitch ass lungs out about it or you can love him. and i like loving him, it makes sense for me, in this moment, to emulate and love that man. PTAS THE MAN MOTHERFUCKERS THE REST OF YOU PLAYER HATERS CAN BACK THE FUCK OUTTA HERE TRYIN TO PLAY LIKE YOU WOULDNT PAY TWENTY BUCKS TO SUCK THAT MOTHERFUCKERS DICK. anyway what
are you gonna eat with us too?

Jon

AK

First of all, it's pretty easy to accept all "this hate" for some reasons....

Everybody talked (and still does) about it  so everybody thinks they need to take a side...my friend used to ask before any film converstion: "Are you a magnolia lover or hater?"

the film IS LONG....some peolple are not able to watch cancer and disgrace for three hours...whatever, I do!

And most of all:Peolpe were not expecting what happened because it seemed a normal movie. When you watch a Lynch movie , well, you are aware strange things can happen...but then, you start to see magnolia...and are normal charaters facing problems anyone may deal and THEN happens the frogs, the sing scene....

I believe people get mad and felt cheated. Like if you go watch a stupid teen comedy and sees a sad drama in the middle...

At least that's what my brother ,  father (who is a filmmaker and don't need to say: I hate because I didn't get it) and people from film school said...and, well, i respect.

for the stupid reasons like :"Kevin Smith was right". Well,  I love PTA , he said bad things about fight club. Should I start hating it because his opinion?

fulty

Quote from: MrBurgerKingnot you are logic is flawed.
Okay, I'll try again.
So you're working at Jack-in-the-Box.
And you get an idea to put 2 tacos for under a buck.
And then a meteor comes through the roof and smashes everything to smithereens.
There, that makes more sense.
Tinapop  

I used to be smart.... now I'm just stupid.