Why do some folk hate Magnolia so passionately?

Started by Marty McSuperfly, April 17, 2003, 05:59:15 AM

Drenk

"There's no one to root for, as Anderson seems to hate all of his characters."

I'm filled with rage. It's almost an ideological war. Often, I read that about artists who, obviously —for me, at least—, seem to love their characters.
Ascension.

jenkins

Quote from: polkablues on October 13, 2015, 02:01:58 AM
I can even accept that there are legitimate criticisms against the film, but those are not them.

lol

oh they wanted the link. this whole enterprise is spish.

QuoteBut can you imagine sharing an office with Wes Anderson? He'd spend half the day sharpening the pencils on his desk so they lined up just so. I'm exhausted just thinking about it.

what the fuck are you doing to have fun in the goddamn office? person is being outta control.

QuoteAs much as I dearly love music made by sad androids,

is how much i dislike lame starts, maybe

QuoteI love everything about Beyoncé but I can't get into her music.

first-world problem

QuoteWith every release I keep coming back, but with the diminishing returns of Cosmopolis and Maps To The Stars, I think I might sit the next one out.

this person was drunk because Maps to the Stars cements in my heart Bruce Wagner and the movie right before Cosmopolis, everyone knowing a batter has three strikes, right before that was a fucking movie where Steve Jobs played Carl Jung

QuoteIn 2007, cineastes everywhere were in a heated debate over which great American filmmaker(s) had delivered the bigger masterpiece: No Country For Old Men, or There Will Be Blood?

which data means literally nothing now and simply indicates extreme prejudice, you blew it

QuoteI'm usually someone that likes a distinctive singing voice, but I have a very hard time listening to Tom Waits.

rough day imo

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gold Trumpet

Yea, I'm not a fan of Magnolia but there is excellence in a lot of the filmmaking. I can still watch the film and genuinely be impressed by a lot of things. Still, those criticisms are dumb. Should be an easy dismissal.

Jeremy Blackman

Mike Vago isn't a reviewer for The AV Club; it looks like he mostly posts news articles and semi-frivolous fun things. Also, I'm not sure he actually understood the assignment. It wasn't "talk about something you hate that most people love," it was this, which they even put in bold print at the beginning: "Are there any artists/bands/performers that you cannot connect with, despite knowing full well that they are great?" He should have read some examples first.

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

I watched it for the first time in about a year a few days ago. It's one of those flicks that when it finally hits you, it hits you. It took a long goddamn while to forget that Tom Cruise was Frank TJ Mackey and just watch him as the character, but goddammit, it paid off. and i've been watching that flick for 15 years. So I kinda get where people are coming from, but also am aware that I overhyped it for myself as a young fan of BN.