(Wes Anderson) Da wickedest Wes film

Started by brockly, May 20, 2003, 06:27:08 AM

chainsmoking insomniac

Quote from: TeddyRUSHMORE.  Of course, I haven't seen BOTTLE ROCKET.

Check it out man. I liked it better than the Tennenbaums......
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

godardian

Quote from: Royal TenenbaumYou should check it out if you like the latests two Andersons. One first viewing you may not connect it two closely to R or TRT, but it actually shares many of the same themes.

I really found that to be true. I'm sure I wouldn't have appreciated the individuality of it as much if I hadn't been familiar with the director's style from the two subsequent efforts. It's still my least favorite of the three, but it's a very nice, small movie.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Chest_Rockwell

Quote from: children with angels(Bill Murry is pure genius in this [Rushmore], wheras in Tenebaums he was merely okay, and criminally underused).

I agree, Bill Murray was AMAZING in Rushmore, but I wouldn't say he was underused in Tenenbaums...He played his character perfectly...I'm just glad Wes Anderson put him in the movie, and I can't wait for his next one!!!  My vote goes to Rushmore as a better film, but I thought Tenenbaums was more enjoyable as a sit-back-and-enjoy type film...It's on my list of 3 favorite comedies along with Office Space and Zoolander...
"Imagination is more important than knowledge". -A.E.

godardian

Quote from: Chest_RockwellTenenbaums was more enjoyable as a sit-back-and-enjoy type film...It's on my list of 3 favorite comedies along with Office Space and Zoolander...

Don't know that I'd categorize Tenenbaums as a comedy in the same way the other two are... not really at all.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Rudie Obias

1.) RUSHMORE then 2.) BOTTLE ROCKET then 3.) THE ROYAL TENENBAUMS
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

chainsmoking insomniac

Great album rudieob....and I couldn't agree with your sequence more :)
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

Mr. Joshua

Bottle Rocket is SO perfect. So I was immediately hooked on Wes' work after this film.

I always get goosebumps with the scene where Dignan is steling the car to "It's over and done with". Go you goofy bastard go!!

The characters are perfect. It is THE only Owen Wilson film worth a shit. (not counting Tenebaums)

Definitely one of my favorites. Rushmore is a real real close second. Tenenbaums I really enjoyed, but did not affect me in that "I just saw a really good movie and I feel good" glow that the others did. The suicide scene was pretty unbelievable though. Great use of Elliot Smith.

J
"and in the windmill dawn, and under this orchard canopy, and out from under this barrel vault, and out from under this barrel vault." -

j_scott_stroup04

Royal and Rushmore are pretty close for me, but it all comes down to Rushmore's soundtrack, and Jason Schwarzman as Max to pull it ahead of many many many film's I've ever seen.  
Can't wait for his next...
"The sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"- Rolling Stones

"When I am King you will be first against the wall!"- Radiohead

ComixFan

All 10/10 flicks, but my rankings:

1) The Royal Tenenbaums
2) Bottle Rocket
3) Rushmore

Slick Shoes

Mine:

1) Rushmore
2) Bottle Rocket
3) The Royal Tenenbaums

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

Exodus 8:2

i actually think that rushmore and the royal tenenbaums are equally amazing (never saw bottle rocket) but because royal tenenbaums was the first wes anderson movie i saw, i felt i should vote for it.
Eagles may soar, but weasles don't get sucked into jet engines.

myadopteddaughter

Though, I adore both Rushmore and Bottle Rocket, I have to say The Royal Tenenbaums. My reason being, the detail. The detail is just truly incredible and droolworthy, from the wallpaper, each individual room of the house, etc. etc.
Anderson's fascination with detail reminds me a lot of Jean-Pierre Feunet. Only Feunet is a little more obsessed with chain-reaction type stuff.
Anyway, moral of the post: Anderson rocks.
mmm, mmmm good

zerocool41

1)Royal
2)Rushmroe
3)Rockets

each film progresses in its emotional impact with the viewer and his skill as a competent director...he's the man, and he's right there with PTA
I'm going to lay down a monster hand here.

Crash

"Drum roll please...I'm gonna be a screenwriter! Like you!"