Game of Thrones (spoilers)

Started by diggler, June 06, 2011, 02:39:04 PM

Jeremy Blackman

That was definitely the best episode of the season so far. I really feel like I'm back on board.

When Daenerys and friends were surrounded, I literally said out loud excitedly: "Dragons! Dragons!" Then, push in and she closes her eyes. Epic scene.

In a lesser show, they would have added ADR of someone saying "where are your dragons?!?" offscreen. But here, they linger on this impossible situation just long enough to prompt you to run through the list of possible solutions, until you land on dragons, and then they give you the payoff. Good stuff.

The burning of Shireen is a great example of character horror done right in the show. It's a difficult storytelling choice that has meaningful implications for everyone, none more than Stannis, who has never been so interesting.

This also means that Shireen managed to go her entire life without being raped or even threatened with rape. And she somehow turned out to be a fully-developed character anyway. Well done, showrunners.

Daenerys taking off on her dragon and leaving her team behind is an interesting thing. I wonder what other people think about that. Is she escaping the city for good? Is she expecting them to catch up with her? How many unsullied are still alive? What kind of army will she even have going forward?

So many questions, and so much to be resolved. If they leave Sansa locked in her rape room over the break, I will be very disappointed. This finale needs to be 3 hours long.

Fernando

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on June 08, 2015, 12:30:21 PM
When Daenerys and friends were surrounded, I literally said out loud excitedly: "Dragons! Dragons!" Then, push in and she closes her eyes. Epic scene.

I yelled the same thing except I said: Drogon!

In a lesser show, they would have added ADR of someone saying "where are your dragons?!?" offscreen. But here, they linger on this impossible situation just long enough to prompt you to run through the list of possible solutions, until you land on dragons, and then they give you the payoff. Good stuff.

Exactly. I think that she even summoned him when she closed her eyes, everything looked like they were about to fall and boom, he shows up to save the day.

Daenerys taking off on her dragon and leaving her team behind is an interesting thing. I wonder what other people think about that. Is she escaping the city for good? Is she expecting them to catch up with her? How many unsullied are still alive? What kind of army will she even have going forward?

I don't think she's leaving them behind or the city, in fact I think she is saving Drogon for being killed.

I would expect that she would land at the top of her castle and eventually meet all her team again and regroup and make a new strategy to end that threat.

I also wonder about how many unsullied she still has, she had thousands and lost many but she still has the second sons so she probably still has a large army.

The burning of Shireen is a great example of character horror done right in the show. It's a difficult storytelling choice that has meaningful implications for everyone, none more than Stannis, who has never been so interesting.

This also means that Shireen managed to go her entire life without being raped or even threatened with rape. And she somehow turned out to be a fully-developed character anyway. Well done, showrunners.

This sacrifice has to work right? So it should be expected that he will defeat the Boltons and by doing so save Sansa?

Also, some of his men looked horrified for that sacrifice, if he does that to his daughter, why would anyone follow him? What I wonder here is what you said, it will have consequences, probably both good (Boltons gone) and bad (losing men?)

If they leave Sansa locked in her rape room over the break, I will be very disappointed. This finale needs to be 3 hours long.

I'm hopeful that won't happen, she has that thing she got and will probably use it on fucking Ramsey, although having hope for good things on this show...

and yes, there's way too much ground to cover, an hour can't be enough.

Jeremy Blackman

Speculation spoilers?

Things are looking good for some kind of movement on Sansa's story, if this production photo is any indication.

I just read a theory about who Sansa might be surprised to see, which might correspond to the episode's title. If that's true, it would literally explode the internet.

The title almost certainly refers to Cersei's fate, which seems like a significant spoiler.

I can see it also applying to Daenerys. They love to pick episode titles that have double or triple meanings. Remember how "The Children," last season's finale, had a double meaning?

Drenk

Still not the Mother I wanted to see. (Who was the mother of the title, by the way?)

Anyway: good finale.
Ascension.

Jeremy Blackman

Re: Drenk. The titular "mother's mercy" refers to the mercy that Cersei had to beg for. (Anyway, no double or triple meanings after all, as far as I can tell.)

Speaking of which, do we think the walk of shame was maybe a minute too long? There was a way to do that effectively as a super long torment, but I'm not sure they pulled it off. Maybe there were too many repeating shots that were essentially the same thing. Or the music wasn't quite doing its job.

I thought it was a great finale overall though.

My favorite part was the dissolution of Stannis. It's quite powerful looking back on his story from beginning to end. It was fascinating to see Melisandre unraveling, too. I do wonder how we are to reconcile the actual magic that she performed (shadow baby etc.) and her actual psychic powers ("You know nothing Jon Snow") with her various charlatanry (including using powders to manipulate fires) and her ultimate failing.

Random thought. Littlefinger's plan (at least the one he told Cersei) depended on Stannis's and Bolton's forces weakening each other with a legit battle, which obviously did not materialize. Hmm.

Jon's death was pretty good. Unfortunately I had been spoiled on that one, including speculation that Olly would kill him (which was being telegraphed throughout this season). So I'm curious how other people reacted to that. I was disappointed that his eyes didn't turn blue right at the end.

This episode eliminated the character with the best claim to the throne (Stannis), and a potential one (R+L=J). Seems to clear the way for Daenerys a bit, doesn't it?

Arya's first scene was amazing. I'm beginning to see why book readers love her so much.

Too bad about Myrcella. Can't let a sweet moment last too long.

The place where they left Sansa, literally in mid-air plunging to some unknown fate, is a perfect illustration of the lazy suspense that now characterizes her story — or rather, that is now the entire content of her story. Brienne missing the candle lighting by seconds is the clear runner-up. That was something out of a terrible movie. My reaction to that was: "Wait, what? That's really what they're going with?" Is Sansa's story so blanketed with bad choices that one shade of idiocy is indistinguishable from another? This continues to be the dumbest corner of Game of Thrones and probably doesn't warrant any further thought. So I'll leave it there.

Also:

Game of Thrones author, producer on whether that character is really dead

Game of Thrones star on that shocking death: 'I'm not coming back'

Fernando

First a spoiler free question for the book readers:

Did this season adapt stories from both book 4 and 5?
If so, did the producers left major events from those books for season 6?

--- --- ---

Each death of a major character has been worse than the last, Oberyn last year and now Jon Snow, it's almost laughable to still believe certain characters won't go, which I thought Jon was part of that club, mainly because of the mystery of who his parents really are, speculation points that he was the son of Ned's sister Lyanna with Rhaegar, and that to me seemed like some grand scheme was building towards that storyline, and he was ended by his fucking 'brothers', I'm rooting for the wildlings now.

Now, what will happen to Ghost? Alliser hates him so he probably will kill him.

This final episode had many cliffhangers or unresolved stories:

- Sansa jumping

- Arya going blind

- The Tyrell siblings locked up.

- Daenerys surrounded by Dothrakis and Drogo dying
Did no one think they should release the other dragons? Of course, who could get close to do that...

Myrcella dying just a few leagues from ashore, they have to go back right? or will Jaime take Trystane hostage to Kingslanding?

The only good things that happened was the reunion of Tyrion with Varys and Arya killing that Trent fuck.

Jeremy Blackman

Apparently the series is completely caught up with the books now, and the show cliffhangers match up with the book cliffhangers for the most part.

I just realized that I'm more invested in Myrcella than Sansa right now. Is there a way she can survive? I agree that Jaime has to turn that boat right around. Surely he realizes it's poison.

There's a theory that the dying Jon wargs into Ghost, but that seems unlikely since Jon has never warged before.

I don't think Drogo is dying. Just resting/recovering.

Fernando

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on June 15, 2015, 10:47:57 PM
Apparently the series is completely caught up with the books now, and the show cliffhangers match up with the book cliffhangers for the most part.

Well that sucks, so that means Bran is completely absent from books 4 and 5? always assumed that maybe his story wasn't that big and they opted for him to sit this one out and return on S6.

Also, if you are correct, why did they adapt two book into one season? that seems dumb since the producers had to know GRRM wouldn't finish the new book on time.

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on June 15, 2015, 10:47:57 PM
I just realized that I'm more invested in Myrcella than Sansa right now. Is there a way she can survive? I agree that Jaime has to turn that boat right around. Surely he realizes it's poison.

I don't think she can survive but who knows, also if Jaime can't realize by himself she was poisoned Bronn can, that cute girl used the same poison on him.

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on June 15, 2015, 12:22:43 AM
Speaking of which, do we think the walk of shame was maybe a minute too long? There was a way to do that effectively as a super long torment, but I'm not sure they pulled it off. Maybe there were too many repeating shots that were essentially the same thing. Or the music wasn't quite doing its job.

It felt long, probably so the viewers felt the same as Cersei, I know I wanted it to end. Kudos to Lena heady, that must have been a difficult scene.

Random thought. Littlefinger's plan (at least the one he told Cersei) depended on Stannis's and Bolton's forces weakening each other with a legit battle, which obviously did not materialize. Hmm.

Yes that didn't come to be, but that little fuck always has a card under his sleeve.

The place where they left Sansa, literally in mid-air plunging to some unknown fate, is a perfect illustration of the lazy suspense that now characterizes her story — or rather, that is now the entire content of her story. Brienne missing the candle lighting by seconds is the clear runner-up. That was something out of a terrible movie. My reaction to that was: "Wait, what? That's really what they're going with?" Is Sansa's story so blanketed with bad choices that one shade of idiocy is indistinguishable from another? This continues to be the dumbest corner of Game of Thrones and probably doesn't warrant any further thought. So I'll leave it there.

I didn't like that candle lighti timing too. Still I'm invested in her story and hope she'll be ok.
But, is Sansa even in Bolton's hands in the books? Because apparently she isn't married to Ramsey.

Jon's death was pretty good. I was disappointed that his eyes didn't turn blue right at the end.

I think you have to be killed by a white walker for that to happen.

polkablues

Despite Kit Harrington's outright lies to the media, Jon Snow will be coming back to life.

Point one: Melisandre, a high priestess of the Lord of Light, is at Castle Black.

Point two: We know from what's-his-name (the Brotherhood Without Banners guy), that, at least under certain conditions, followers of the Lord of Light can bring people back from the dead.

Point three: The writers of Game of Thrones are not terrible at storytelling.

Point four: Jon Snow's death at this point in the overall story would be terrible storytelling.

Ipso facto, Jon Snow will be up and tap dancing by episode two at the latest.

Further predictions, based on my vast reservoir of common sense: Stannis is 100% dead, Myrcella is 100% dead, Sansa and Theon are alive (there's a slim chance Theon dies, but Sansa's alive for sure).
My house, my rules, my coffee

Jeremy Blackman

Re: Fernando

Bran was actually caught up to the books at the end of last season. This should answer your book question in detail:  http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2015/06/game-of-thrones-season-6

A body double was used for Lena's nudity. They even put her face on the body double for some shots. Still, a good performance for sure.

Re: Polka

The showrunners would have to be lying to the media, too. And these would be some outrageously bold lies.

QuoteWhen asked point-blank of Snow is firmly gone—as in, is actor Kit Harington released from his Thrones contract?—showrunner Dan Weiss told EW, "Dead is dead." 

"We would hope that after seeing the scene and the way it's shot that the answer to that will be unambiguous in the minds of the people watching it," Weiss explained. "It should be pretty clear what happens in by the time you're done seeing that scene. It's not an, 'Oh what just happened scene?'"

It's possible though. I do like the Melisandre theory.

Quote from: polkablues on June 16, 2015, 12:12:12 AMPoint three: The writers of Game of Thrones are not terrible at storytelling.

Point four: Jon Snow's death at this point in the overall story would be terrible storytelling.

I assume you disagree with my ongoing Sansa rants, then.

Agree that Stannis is dead, and that Myrcella is probably dead (though can we please say 90%?).

Ooh what if Bran flies in and catches Sansa? He doesn't have the wingspan for Theon though, so he tumbles off and dies.

polkablues

I'm afraid I can't spot you that 10% for Myrcella. She has no further story value alive, only dead.

Note the semantic loophole in the statements re: Jon Snow -- all they're really denying is that he somehow survived the stabbings. I don't think anyone doubts this. The question, then, is not "did he die" (he did), it's "will he be brought back to life?" Everything they're currently saying in the media can be wiggled out of, even if they don't want to go as far as simply saying, "we lied because we wanted to surprise people," which would be completely justified. Harrington's statements are a little more definitive ("will not be back next season"); those, I believe, are simple fibs.

And one's opinion of the writers' handling of the Sansa storyline notwithstanding, there is far too much of the story as has been set up, both plot-wise and thematically, that is predicated on Jon Snow's continued involvement for his permanent death to make any sense. And I feel like it has to follow the Melisandre route. Ignoring any extratextual stuff from the books, Jon warging into his wolf would be a massive out-of-nowhere deus ex machina, because they never even attempted to set it up at any point in the series. Using Lord of Light magic to resurrect people, on the other hand, is well established. I feel very confident about this.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Jeremy Blackman

Well, I hope you're right. That would indeed be far better storytelling. They've certainly shown that Melisandre is interested in Jon. And it would really be a shame to see nothing materialize out of R+L=J.

Alexandro

SPOILERS

Well, one thing is for sure and it's that they can't have more than one fake death. Perhaps two.
But everyone "dying" on this episode and then returning next season would be too stupid. Sansa might be one to survive, and perhaps Jon Snow. But Stannis and the blonde girl are gone. Reek too I hope.

Anyway it was major cruelty this finale. If it were a stand alone film it would be like a poem on hopelessness. Not one moment passes without being crushed by the worst feeling possible. That Cersei walk has to be one of the most cruel scenes ever on tv.

diggler

SPOILERS

I don't know why people seem to be confused about Sansa and Theon's fate. They obviously make it. It's interesting that the storm that ruined Stannis is what allowed her to escape, not only by building up the snow for her to land on, but depleting the Stannis force enough so Ramsay felt bold enough to ride out and meet him.

Jon Snow is definitely dead but will likely return to the story in some way. All of this death and resurrection stuff hasn't been set up for nothing. I've read some people point out that dying releases Snow from his Night's Watch vows, which I found interesting.

It's going to be an awkward morning with all the wildlings.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

Jeremy Blackman

That better be some really soft snow.