Game of Thrones (spoilers)

Started by diggler, June 06, 2011, 02:39:04 PM

diggler

I suppose it's about time we start talking about this one, as it seems like it's going to be around for a while. I know very little about the source material, but from what I've heard it seems to be sticking rather close to it. Sean Bean doing his long haired LOTR thing is nice, but it's Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister who steals the show. So far I think it's doing a remarkable job of juggling a large cast and multiple storylines, and those opening credits are fantastic at establishing what is happening where. It's far from perfect but I'm enjoying it unashamedly. Anyone else?
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

socketlevel

I find it all so boring.
the one last hit that spent you...

Fernando

the little I read about it didn't find interesting before it started, still i gave it a chance and was hooked since the 1st episode, it's very well made and to be honest the whole production of the series has surprised me, not that HBO doesn't invest in that but all the castles and locations look very real (some may be of course). this looks and feels better than many movies actually.

and I'm with you about Peter Dinklage's character, he's been great from the start.

polkablues

I have no interest in reading the books whatsoever, but this show is fantastic.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Fernando

spoiler function doesn't work for me so...

SPOILERS FOR EP. 9

what an episode, just last week was talking with a friend and told her HBO already greenlit 2nd season, so that meant there was no way they would kill ned stark (haven't read the books), it was only a matter of time to see how he would get out of that one and....BOOM, he's gone, I couldn't fucking believe it.

I have a feeling they will leave us wit a huge cliff hanger, damn.

diggler

Spoilers

I unfortunately had the bit spoiled for me a few weeks ago, but I had no idea it happened in such an awful fashion, with him selling out his honor to save his daughters.  What a horrible way to die. It's not looking good for Khal Drogo either.

I'm glad to be this into an HBO drama again. I was kind of forcing it with Boardwalk Empire.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

cronopio 2

SPOILERS:

I THOUGHT A DRAGON was going to come out of blondie's vagina and save all of the starks.

Fernando

best new show without a doubt. therefore the best thing HBO has made in years (along with treme).

if ppl havent seen it I urge them to do so.

spoils

this show is not afraid to get rid of characters as we saw on ep. 9. now in this finale khal drogo is done for good too. i dont know the books so to me that was a huge surprised (im referring mainly to ned starks fate).

its going to be a long wait for next season.

squints

I just finished this season and what a fantastic show. Its like an NC-17 rated Lord of the Rings. Every single episode was fantastic save the last one, and i only say that cause i don't want to have to wait half a year to see what comes next. I urge everyone to see this.

Between this, BB Season 4, The end of Friday Night Lights, Louie Season 2, and Curb Season 8 this has just been a fantastic year for television, and we didn't even need Mad Men. Wish i could say the same for film, but i guess i haven't seen too much.

Spoilers:
I did NOT expect Stark to be offed like that, such a miserable way to go.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

O.

Quote from: squints on October 12, 2011, 04:55:31 AM
Spoilers:
I did NOT expect Stark to be offed like that, such a miserable way to go.

GRRM kills off his characters religiously without the battering of an eyelash.
superb

modage

Season 2 starts April 1.

22 minute recap vid:

I may have already seen the first two eps.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Jeremy Blackman

I finished watching Season 1 a week or so ago and liked it a lot, so I'm really looking forward to Season 2.

My only complaint really is how cartoonishly dislikable Viserys Targaryen was. (He's the blonde dragon prince guy who liked to bully his sister.)

I haven't read the books, but the show is quite powerful. [Season 1 spoilers] Ned Stark's story was so heartbreaking, I'm still trying to forget it. Even worse is everything that's happening to Sansa. At the end of the season, in fact, Sansa and Tyrion are my favorite characters. Sansa's predicament haunted me so much that I had to spoil myself a bit and look up her entire story as it happens in the books. [Season 2 and book spoilers!] I'm really glad I did, because I don't think I'd be able to endure what happens to her in Season 2 without knowing the eventual (merciful) outcome. Her arc is really epic, too, especially that last bit.

The Perineum Falcon

This is a wonderful series. After the first season ended, I couldn't help myself and purchased all the books. I'm now on the most recently published fifth novel, A Dance with Dragons. I don't care much for fantasy fiction, but this surpasses all expectations. It really is one of the best series I've had the pleasure of experiencing. And it all gets much much worse for everyone involved (especially for those you care for). Martin is merciless, and I can only hope that the show will be equally vicious.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: The Perineum Falcon on March 24, 2012, 01:04:55 PMMartin is merciless, and I can only hope that the show will be equally vicious.

I just worry that it will get a bit sadistic.

This gets to what I was talking about at the end of my previous post. Given the slow pace of book 2, it looks like this is going to be a rough season, with no relief in sight until 1 or 2 seasons later. I don't know how much plot is resolved by the end of book 2, but that's what it looks like.

If it keeps happening, won't you eventually stop caring about your favorite characters, because you know they're probably screwed? I'm all for breaking expectations and being merciless to characters, but this could be a bit much. It almost reaches that point for me in Season 1.

The Perineum Falcon

Bad shit happens to good people, but it never becomes unbearable, it is also never hopeless. It's tragic, for sure; heartbreaking, even. Martin is so skilled that this actually becomes a strength for the story, as it keeps you guessing, and rooting for the characters you love knowing that death may literally be right around a darkened corner. But, as one door closes, another opens.
This is the exact opposite of The Walking Dead, and a direction that series should take, to be honest. There is a real sense of danger and doom.
The characters are in a constant state of development, including those you hate by the end of the first book/season.
Stick with it, JB, I encourage you; though it gets bad, it is always good (and justice will be served).
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.