Rewind This! - Documentary

Started by wilder, June 27, 2013, 10:17:57 AM

wilder

Home video changed the way the world consumed films. The cultural and historical impact of the VHS tape was enormous. REWIND THIS! is a documentary that traces the ripples of that impact by examining the myriad aspects of art, technology, and societal perceptions that were altered by the creation of videotape.

The film is the first feature length effort from Austin, TX based IPF Productions, with shooting locations all over North America and abroad, including a two week stint in Japan. The team has spoken to filmmakers, studios, archivists, rental chain operators, personal collectors and media experts to create an overview of the video era that is both informative and celebratory. The film will premiere at SXSW Film Festival in Austin March 2013.

Official Site
Official Twitter (continuously updated with list of screenings)
Release Date - TBD

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

wilder

Rewind This! is available to rent and buy on Amazon and iTunes.

Reel

I've seen this twice, it's a great documentary. Makes me wish I had a cooler VHS coolection. Makes me wish I was more well versed in trashiness. Makes me wish I grew up in the 1980's.

jenkins

a fair amount of trash i've seen was introduced to me by los angeles participants in this movie: hadrian belove and bret berg (cinefamily), phil blankenship (noted for impressive vhs collection and midnite madness at cinefamily), julia marchese (new bev and director of doc about film leaving theaters)

recent blankenship quotes:

Blood Games (1990, dir. Tanya Rosenberg)
The fine folks over at Bleeding Skull wrote a great review that captures the magic of this baseball babes vs bad news rednecks trashterpiece. Excerpt: "This movie is fast and loose with two things: nudity and slow-motion. Clothes get torn off at half-speed, and girls dodge bullets and rapists very slowly. Everyone cocks their rifles in slow-motion, aims and shoots in slow-motion, and dies in slow-motion. It's all very dramatic. There's a sequence where one girl trips at a leisurely pace. It's shot in silhouette against a majestic backdrop of towering sequoia trees. It's a rather gorgeous scene and it'd probably be tasteful if she weren't topless."

Demon Wind (1990, dir. Charles Philip Moore)
I have no idea what the hell is going on in 90% of this movie but at least it moves quick, has cool makeup & rotoscoping effects and, most importantly, features a dude roundhouse kicking a demon's head off. The VHS has a lenticular cover and two awesome taglines: 1. There's something deadly in the air 2. It'll blow you away

The Gifted (1993, dir. Audrey King Lewis)
The "Best Feature Film of 1993 voted by the Black Filmmaker's Hall of Fame" is a myth-heavy headscratcher about a Southern family possessing supernatural abilities. For 5,000 years the Dogon Tribe has passed down the "Gift," ever since the earth was in danger of being taken over by an evil alien force from the star Sirius. Now a West African King is determined to join with his American relatives to fight off the ominous entity. A lot of talking, phone calls, serious looks and general everyday life follow.

The Night Brings Charlie (1990, dir. Tom Logan)
A late era slasher firmly stuck in 1983 that knows how to keep it simple: a quiet, hooded tree-trimmer goes on a twisted killing spree in a small town. The movie starts, runs for less than 80 minutes and then ends. Just the way I like it.

i don't recommend/ for a 1982 alan rudolph movie cinefamily is showing in october. whoever made the trailer sets up a really fascinating story that's been sprinkled to a fair amount of the cattle company, in colorado

haven't seen the movie that's the topic. this all might be related