The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou

Started by lamas, March 18, 2003, 11:03:05 PM

MacGuffin

Quote from: ebeamanIt's going to be animated?

Quote from: ebeamanWhat the hell is stop motion animation anyway?

Question one:The undersea world of "Aquatic" is being created in collaboration with director and stop-motion animator Henry Selick Question two:("The Nightmare Before Christmas," "James and the Giant Peach").
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ernie

Alright...so the undersea world is going to be animated? That fucking sucks. It's going to take forever to do and it's not going to be that cool...my anticipation just got taken down a pretty big notch dammit.

Ghostboy

Au contraire...that fucking rocks. This movie is suddenly more exciting than ever. Ebeaman, I think you underestimate the possibilities of animation...especially stop motion animation. Truly wondrous things are in store with this film, I think.

tpfkabi

i thought it meant it would be more like the California Raisins stuff, but i guess that is "claymation?"

either that or kinda like parts of Beetlejuice where the sculptures come alive?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

modage

i dont think so. "Claymation" (a la california raisins) is Will Vinton Studios who have also done the shows THE PJs and GARY AND MIKE, in addition to their CLAYMATION CHRISTMAS SPECIAL from the 80s.  Henry Selick is more like, well, Henry Selick.  I imagine it will be just like Nightmare before Christmas and James and the Giant Peach.  Hopefully less like Monkeybone.  you should watch some special features on the great Nightmare dvd to see how its all done. very interesting.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ernie

Quote from: GhostboyAu contraire...that fucking rocks. This movie is suddenly more exciting than ever. Ebeaman, I think you underestimate the possibilities of animation...especially stop motion animation. Truly wondrous things are in store with this film, I think.

I guess I really do need to see it before I judge it. I'm glad the whole film isn't being done like that though, that I really do think would suck. But just the undersea world? I can deal with that I guess, that sounds kinda fun...it might be ok...jesus, it might be fucking amazing, who can ever tell? It's Wes we're talking about. It's just that I usually look to only Pixar for good animation movies, I wanted Wes to stick to live action stuff...I don't know though, I really need to see it I guess, once the trailer comes out I'll have a better idea of what I think of it. James and the Giant Peach is a cool movie.

sphinx

i have a soft spot for stop motion animation

i used to do it as a kiddie with a shitty old camera, pressing the record button twice as fast as i could, usually if i was lucky i could animate in fives or sixes, and then i was introduced to the animation lunchbox which allows you to animate off a video camera in ones and twos, advance single frames, etc...sadly this was out of my price range at the time.  since then i've grown away from animation but i still do it now and then

Gold Trumpet

I'm much more excited for this project by Wes than any of his others. Like I said before, since he is moving so much into where style and other things are taking more part, he needs to move his stories along with that too. Royal Tennebaums seemed like it was way too busy in cuteness for its story, which was very normal. Anderson needs to get like Fellini where he writes stories that are dictated by his visions and style and feel, not trying to implant them into an average story. Its just way too off setting. With this project, hopefully he is doing that because working at Fellini's studio, and doing the things he is doing, he has way more freedom by way of imagination to really explore and given how successful RT was and how cheap, he is likely getting some room financially with this one. I'm hopeful.

~rougerum

oakmanc234

I would've loved it if Anderson players Jason Schwazman or Ben Stiller were in this but I'm happy as hell that Murray is the lead. Can't wait for this flick.....
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

chainsmoking insomniac

OH SHIT, this is going to be cool.  Finally, the movie season just brightened a bit!  :-D
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

Pas

I'm so thrilled about this movie !  I really like the cast, and (obviously) the direction will be top-notch. And now stop-motion animation for the undersea scnes ? This will be sweet ! Eye candy is never wrong

Quote from: ebeaman
I really do think would suck. But just the undersea world? I can deal with that I guess, that sounds kinda fun...it might be ok...jesus, it might be fucking amazing

Come to think of it, no comment.

tpfkabi

can you imagine???? murray and wilson together as leads in a stop motion seaworld?????......they've yet to really share any screen time........rushmore, wilson was the dead husband in photographs.....and TRT, murray played a smaller role...........2004 can't come soon enough!!!
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

godardian

From today's EW (page 19, "The Deal Report"):

"Wes Anderson update! The Royal Tenenbaums ringmaster is assembling a cast for The Life Aquatic, about a crew of deep-sea explorers. Tenenbaumers Owen Wilson, Bill Murray, and Anjelica Huston are back, while Jeff Goldblum, Peter Stormare (Fargo) and Bud Cort Harold and Maude) are new additions..."

Bud Cort. Excellent.

I notice, too, they seem to have shortened the title. Don't know if that reflects the new reality or was just truncated for space or convenience.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

DAMN! Where is Owen Wilson as Olivia's dead hubby in Rushmore? I've seen that movie and actively perused the set decoration about 5 times, and I've never seen them pictures spoken of!
I thought Owen was originally supposed to play Luke Wilson's character in Rushmore because he says "what happened to your nose?" and Max responds "I got punched. What's your excuse?" (yknow cuz uh Owen has the screwed up nose)
That's really neat though, that Olivia may have had an attraction to Peter who is "brothers" w/ her late husband. hohohah.

AS FOR "AQUATIC LIFE etc.": Who's interested in seeing this stop-motion that is planned? You know Anderson wants the old shaky "Rudolph" type of stuff because it looks so cool, and I think it's smart not to go straight to CG.

lamas

what the fuck happened all over bud cort's face?