The Passion Of The Christ

Started by MacGuffin, January 28, 2003, 01:49:48 AM

Pwaybloe

Quote from: gtr81Here's a bomb for you: Jesus walked this earth Before He was born of the virgin - in this, He is referred to as the "pre-incarnate" Christ.  He had lunch with Abraham, He wrestled with Jacob before naming him Israel. In these incarnations however, He was fully God, not the God/Man He was to be after the virgin birth.  Thus, Jeshua (Jesus), is eternal, He has been from the beginnig, and He has no end - its the Alpha and Omega thing.

Peace    :wink:

That's a new interpretation unknown to me.  Pastors that I have listened to have always seperated the idea of God and Christ, pingeonholed into a "father-son" relationship.  You must not be a Baptist.

Xixax

From Cal Thomas - one of the few Christians in media that doesn't make all Christians look like utter buffoons. He's not a movie critic, but he's a damn fine guy...

The Greatest Story Ever Filmed      by - Cal Thomas

August 5, 2003

Last month in Washington, 50 people attended a private screening of actor
Mel Gibson's new film, "The Passion," about the last 12 hours in the earthly
life of Jesus Christ.

We were required to sign a confidentiality agreement, promising not to write
or speak about the film without permission. That restriction has now been
lifted.

As one who has seen virtually every modern biblical epic - from Cecil B.
DeMille's "The Ten Commandments" to the two-part "Jesus" miniseries on CBS
three years ago - I can say "The Passion" is the most beautiful, profound,
accurate,disturbing, realistic and bloody depiction of this well-known
story that has ever been filmed.

Jim Caviezel, who plays Jesus with tender understatement, may be the best
"Jesus" ever (not counting the original). To those in the Jewish community
who worry that the film, which is scheduled for release next Easter season,
might contain anti-Semitic elements, or encourage people to persecute Jews,
fear not. The film does not indict Jews for the death of Jesus. It is
faithful to the New Testament account. Also, Gibson, a devout Roman
Catholic, does not elevate Mary, Jesus' mother, beyond what Scripture says
of her, which will broaden the film's appeal to Protestants.

A Christian friend whispered to me during the scene in which the mob demands
that the Roman governor, Pontius Pilate, order Jesus (who, after all, was
Jewish) to be crucified: "What disturbs me is that I might have been part of
that crowd." Exactly. Guilt is universal, not particular to the Jews.

There is an important theological point to be made, especially for any
Christian who might wish to blame the Jews as a people for Christ's death.
According to the biblical record, Jesus said He came into the world for the
purpose of sacrificing Himself on behalf of all humanity and that no one
had
the power to take His life from Him. He said He had the power to lay His
life down, and the power to take it up again. That doesn't sound like a
murder victim to me.

Questions had been raised as to whether Gibson can find a distributor. Asked
about it at the screening, Gibson said confidently, "Oh, I'll find a
distributor."

This is not a date film. The rough cut I saw contains graphic scenes,
including the seemingly endless scourging of Jesus. The makeup artist
deserves an Oscar for the way he created the "wounds." The crucifixion
scene
is long, bloody and painful to watch. Several audience members wept. The
film will probably earn an "R" rating for violence.

"The Passion" should not be labeled a "religious" film, or something to be
shown only in church basements. Compared to examples of recent Christian
films ("Left Behind" is one of many very bad ones in this genre), "The
Passion" is a work of high art and great storytelling.

The dialogue is in Aramaic and Latin. English subtitles are provided, and
they are helpful in following the storyline. A decision about using them in
the final version has not been made. Few liberties are taken with the Gospel
account, and the extra dialogue added helps round out the characters without
damaging historical or biblical accuracy.

Satan is cleverly played as an asexual being who at first seems to be an
observer in the Garden of Gethsemane (and in other scenes), but the
appearance of a snake slithering between the character's feet and attempting
to wrap itself around the arm of the prostrate and praying Jesus identifies
him and his evil intent. The film is an intense two hours. It uses unknown
actors, which helps focus attention on the message. By the end of the film
(a unique portrayal of the resurrection), the viewer is exhausted.

Thirteen years ago, actor Mickey Rooney wrote an editorial for  Variety in
which he said, "The on-screen depiction of religion is less than flattering,
and, as a Christian, I pray the era of denigrating religion on screen comes
to a screeching halt. And soon."

Rooney's prayer has been answered with "The Passion." It is a soul-stirring
film that deserves wide distribution and viewing. Its message is not just
for Christians, but for everyone. I doubt a better film about Jesus could
be made.

©2003 Tribune Media Services
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

SoNowThen

I am happy, excited, and much much more! Can't wait to see this!!!!
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Gold Trumpet

I, personally, can't stand Cal Thomas, but he had interesting things to say about the film are true for me when I see the movie. This quote was stupid and funny:

Quote from: XIXAXJim Caviezel, who plays Jesus with tender understatement, may be the best "Jesus" ever (not counting the original).

~rougerum

Alethia

i've been looking forward to this for a while, and my excitement has just been elevated.

MacGuffin

Major Studios Staying Away from Gibson's Passion
Source: Newsweek

Newsweek reports that it seems no major studio wants to touch Mel Gibson's latest film, The Passion, a controversial movie about Jesus' death that has inspired more hostile attention than any movie in recent history. "It's not worth the aggravation," says a studio head. "Even if it makes money, it's not going to be 'Titanic.'" Studios are worried about protests, hate mail and boycotts. "Even if it doesn't deserve it," says another film executive, "it's going to be used as a political football."

Gibson's company, Icon Productions, did not seek out buyers for the film, but waited to see which suitors came knocking. The studios didn't, apparently. Icon did get interest from small, independent companies without public shareholders or other assets, like music companies and theme parks, that could be hurt by boycotts or protests. Companies "that have nothing to lose," as one executive puts it. The top contender now appears to be Newmarket, which released Memento. They have made a formal bid, but will not confirm if they have seen the film. Two higher-profile independents, Lions Gate and Miramax, have expressed interest in the film and have asked to see it. They have yet to be invited. The film could prove problematic for Miramax, as its parent company, Disney, dislikes controversy.

Some studio executives point to the last controversial movie about Christ as a case in point. In 1988, Universal released Martin Scorsese's The Last Temptation of Christ, which proposed that Christ was plagued with the same doubts and appetites as normal men. The movie was met with outrage. "There were millions of letters written and 25,000 people marched on Universal," says Tom Pollock, then a top exec at the studio. "There were death threats against my chairman, myself and Marty Scorsese. There was security in our lives for years." And the movie made only $8.4 million.

Gibson's camp would not comment about the potential sale, beyond saying it could happen in the "near term." It's possible, though remotely, that Icon, which distributes most of Gibson's films in the U.K. and Australia, may opt to put The Passion in U.S. theaters itself. Meanwhile, the press surrounding the film -- in particular a New Yorker profile that delineated Gibson's rigid religious beliefs-has done some damage to his reputation. While he remains one of the most bankable stars in history, his occasionally strident public statements have not played well in an industry predominantly liberal and significantly Jewish. "People think Mel's crazy now," says one top producer. Adds a studio head, "People feel like his character in 'Lethal Weapon' isn't that far from who he is. It's like, 'Wow, he's way out on a limb'."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

godardian

Mel Gibson is the last filmmaker on earth I would ever trust with this story, and I would've told you that long before he'd announced his plans to make this film.

I would rather see a filmmaker really engaging with the Jesus mythology in a meaningful way, as Scorsese did, than giving us a rote (if bloody and pretentious) Sunday-School lesson, which is what I would expect from the reactionary, archconservative likes of Mel Gibson. I'm sure it's much less provocative or "offensive" than just dull and shrug-worthy. Mel Gibson is not know for making deep-thinking movies.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

MacGuffin

Mel Gibson's film THE PASSION, about the depiction of the last 12 hours of Jesus of Nazareth's life, has changed its name. The official title of the movie has changed to "The Passion of Christ". Although the film is still struggling for a distributor, the goal is to release the film in US theaters on February 25, 2004. Also James Horner is not composing the film's soundtrack, instead it is rumored that Dolores O'Riordan, the lead singer of the pop rock group The Cranberries, is singing a song in Latin for the soundtrack.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

cine

I'm looking forward to seeing this, but if the film does end up being in english, and Jesus shouts "Freedom!" at the end, I'm going to be pissed right off...

SoNowThen

Quote from: godardianMel Gibson is the last filmmaker on earth I would ever trust with this story, and I would've told you that long before he'd announced his plans to make this film.

I would rather see a filmmaker really engaging with the Jesus mythology in a meaningful way, as Scorsese did, than giving us a rote (if bloody and pretentious) Sunday-School lesson, which is what I would expect from the reactionary, archconservative likes of Mel Gibson. I'm sure it's much less provocative or "offensive" than just dull and shrug-worthy. Mel Gibson is not know for making deep-thinking movies.

Oi, let's at least give him a chance. I really wanna enjoy this, but rest assured I will be the loudest person to catcall it if it sucks.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Pwaybloe

Yep, I've been really interested in this one.  

I'm not really sure why Jews are so upset over this one.  WWII movies always show demonic Germans and get away with it.  It's history.

I think this movie could be really good, but let's just see next year.

Weak2ndAct

I can't wait to cross the picket lines and be yelled at like I was about to enter an abortion clinic.  But besides that cheap thrill, I must say I am morbidly curious to see how this all turns out.

cine

Lightning Strikes Gibson's Christ

ROME, Italy -- Actor Jim Caviezel, who plays the son of God in Mel Gibson's controversial film "The Passion of Christ" has been struck by lightning during shooting.

Caviezel was uninjured, but a producer described how he saw smoke coming from the actor's ear.

An assistant director on the film, Jan Michelini, was also hit -- for the second time in a few months.

The first time, a lightning fork struck his umbrella during filming on top of a hill near Matera in Italy, causing light burns to the tips of his fingers, VLife, a supplement to Variety publications said in its October issue.

A few months later the second strike happened, a few hours from Rome.

Michelini was again carrying an umbrella, and standing next to Caviezel on top of a hill, the magazine said.

Both were hit, with the main bolt striking Caviezel while one of its forks hit Michelini's umbrella. Neither were hurt.

The film, which is spoken in Latin and Aramaic, has come in for criticism from some religious leaders. It portrays the last hours of Christ, but some Jewish and Roman Catholic groups are concerned the film will fuel anti-Semitism.

--I can just feel the jokes coming....

Sleuth

MAYBE GOD EXISTS AFTER ALL[/i]

just kidding
I like to hug dogs

godardian

Quote from: Pawbloe

I'm not really sure why Jews are so upset over this one.  WWII movies always show demonic Germans and get away with it.  It's history.

If it's based on a literal interpretation of the bible and no other sources, it's not what can rightly be called history; it falls more under the heading of mythology.

I recall reading somewhere recently about Gibson's religious views, which apparently are so fanatical that he doesn't even agree with the Catholic Church because he's so far to the right of them (to the right! of the Catholic Church!), despite supposedly being Catholic, and is part of some little militant subsect. Anyone else hear anything about that?

I don't really get offended at the content of movies, but as a gay person, I will say that I'm not prone to give the notoriously homophobic Mr. Gibson any support. Fortunately for me, he seems to fall strictly into the same blah category of filmmaking as the "rousing," "heartwarming," "family-friendly," eminently tiresome Steven Spielberg, so I don't really feel like I'm missing out on anything.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.