Remake Remake Fucking Remake

Started by modage, March 05, 2005, 10:02:37 AM

MacGuffin

Zombie Remakes `The Blob'
Source: Variety

After reviving the `Halloween' franchise, Rob Zombie will next reinvent `The Blob.'

Zombie will write, direct and produce a remake of the 1958 horror classic that launched the career of Steve McQueen. Production will begin next spring.

Zombie's deal to make `The Blob' his next film comes as Dimension opens `H2,' the Zombie-directed sequel to his 2007 hit "Halloween."

In the original, an object from space crashes into a field, containing a red blob-like substance that absorbs the humans it contacts and grows exponentially. While Zombie was a fan of the original, his version will be much different.   

`My intention is not to have a big red blobby thing, that's the first thing I want to change,' Zombie said. `That gigantic Jello-looking thing might have been scary to audiences in the 1950s, but people would laugh now. I have a totally different take, one that's pretty dark.'

Zombie will produce with Genre Company's Richard Saperstein and Brian Witten, original `Blob' producer Jack H. Harris, and Judith Parker Harris of Worldwide Entertainment Corporation.

Saperstein, the former Dimension Films president who developed a relationship with Zombie while they worked on `Halloween,' said that funding is in place to make an R-rated film that will cost around $30 million. The film's budget model is similar to recent fright fare like `Cloverfield' and `District 9,' and they will likely lock in a studio distributor before production begins. Genre Company is in pre-production on the independently financed Darren Bousman-directed remake `Mother's Day.'

For Zombie, the appeal of taking on `The Blob' as his fifth directorial outing was a chance to broaden his range.

`I'd been looking to break out of the horror genre, and this really is a science fiction movie about a thing from outer space,' Zombie said. `I intend to make it scary, and the great thing is, I have the freedom once again to take it in any crazy direction I want to. Even more than `Halloween,' where I had to deal with accepted iconic characters like Michael Myers and Laurie Strode. `The Blob' is more concept than specific storyline with characters, so I can go nuts with it.'

Zombie has begun writing. While he'll follow the release of `H2' with a new album and tour this fall, he'll complete the script at that time.

`I usually follow a movie by putting out a record and going on tour, and I write the script during that tour,' he said. `The tour will take me through Christmas.'

Though Zombie is once again tackling subject matter considered iconic to fright mavens, he'll repeat his `Halloween' strategy of not being overly reverential.

`I feel good about `H2' in that it's far superior to the first film I made, and has no relationship to anything that came before it, or that was in the John Carpenter film,' Zombie said. `My job as director is to carry out my vision. I won't be pushed around or persuaded in any other direction, and I tell them if that doesn't work, save the heartache and fire me right now. When you're out there shooting at 4 AM, you can't remember notes you got from somebody months ago. What I'm told is, we want you to do your thing, so go for it.'
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Paul W.S. Anderson tackles 'The Three Musketeers'
Paul W.S. Anderson is going from the future to the past.
Source: Hollywood Reporter

The filmmaker known for the "Resident Evil" series and "Alien vs. Predator" is bringing the classic tale of "The Three Musketeers" back to the big screen, this time in 3D.

Anderson is producing with Impact Pictures partner Jeremy Bolt and Robert Kulzer of Constantin Film. Constantin, with whom Impact has a joint venture, will finance the production.

The 1844 Alexandre Dumas tale tells of d'Artagnan, a young man who leaves home to become a member of the fighting force of the French king's royal household. Along the way, he makes friends with three of the force's best — and most disgraced — members: Athos, Porthos and Aramis, whose creed of friendship is "All for one and one for all!"

Anderson penned the script with Andrew Davies, whose credits include the films "Bridget Jones's Diary" and "The Tailor of Panama" and a television adaptation of "Pride and Prejudice." The two have known each other since their days at England's University of Warwick, when Anderson was a student and Davies a tutor. Anderson sought out Davies, knowing the project needed a script that was strong in character and romance to complement the action.

The intent is for the film to have a contemporary feel, though that does not mean ditching the period setting.

"We are definitely modernizing 'The Three Musketeers' without compromising the fun of shooting a period piece," said Anderson, who hopes to shoot in France and Germany. "But in our film, corsets and feathered hats don't take center stage. Our version is rich in eye-popping action, romance and adventure."

A shoot next year with a 2011 release is being eyed. Constantin's Martin Moszkowicz is executive producing.

"Musketeers" has proved to be a potent tale to recount on the big screen, with versions going back as far as 1903. The more noteworthy adaptations include the 1948 version, with Gene Kelly, Lana Turner and Vincent Price, and Richard Lester's 1973 all-star swashbuckler that starred Michael York, Richard Chamberlain, Oliver Reed, Raquel Welch and Faye Dunaway.

In 1993, Disney produced an incarnation that starred Charlie Sheen, Kiefer Sutherland and Chris O'Donnell. That film also boasted a No. 1 single by Bryan Adams, Sting and Rod Stewart.

Constantin, which partnered with Anderson on the "Resident Evil" series, next releases "Pandorum."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

"The 3-D Musketeers". Lord help us.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Kal

WHAT THE FUCK IS HAPPENING. This is really terrible. Not only they are remaking every shit they can think of, but now they are remaking the shitty remakes in 3D!!! Everything is in 3D!!! WHAT THE FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!

MacGuffin

'Furious' director takes 'Highlander' gig
Helmer Justin Lin boards redo; Neal Moritz producing

"Fast & Furious" helmer Justin Lin and producer Neal Moritz are signing on to Summit's reboot of "Highlander."

Lin and Moritz, reppd by CAA, will direct and produce the pic, respectively. The Summit project, first announced in the spring of 2008, offers a new take on the story of immortals who battle for supremacy while living seemingly normal lives in the contemporary world.

Fox released the original "Highlander" in 1986, with the Sean Connery starrer earning just $6 million at the boxoffice but becoming a cult sensation and a hit on DVD. A television series eventually materialized as well, with French giant Gaumont selling it into syndication in the U.S. in the early 1990s.

"Iron Man" scribes Art Marcum and Matt Hollaway were previously tapped to pen the screenplay for the Summit reboot, while Peter Davis will also produce.

Summit aims to turn the movie into an action tentpole. Studio co-chair Patrick Wachsberger, who has been shepherding the project, noted that Lin and Moritz "have proven more than once that they can deliver an entertaining and exciting blockbuster."

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

Remember back when people were calling Justin Lin this bold, fresh young cinematic voice? Yeah, that was hilarious.

MacGuffin

Marti Noxon to pen 'Fright Night' redo
1985 comedy-horror was written, directed by Tom Holland

Can you dispatch a vampire with a martini and cigarette smoke?

"Mad Men" writer-producer Marti Noxon has been hired to pen DreamWorks Studios' revamp of the 1985 horror comedy "Fright Night." Before her work on AMC's "Mad Men," Noxon was a writer-producer on the bloodsucker series "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" and "Angel," so fangs and stakes are in her blood.

Producers Michael De Luca, Michael Gaeta and Alison Rosenzweig set up the "Fright" project in May. DreamWorks executive Mark Sourian is overseeing for the studio.

The original "Fright," released in 1985, was written and directed by Tom Holland and starred Chris Sarandon, Roddy McDowall and William Ragsdale. Ragsdale played a teenager who discovers his neighbors are vampires.

The new version will keep the comedy-horror tone while modernizing the effects.

The WME-repped Noxon also has been a writer-producer on ABC's "Private Practice" and "Grey's Anatomy" and Fox's "Prison Break."

Skeleton FilmWorks

RegularKarate

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know it's pointless to get mad about remakes and I usually brush them off and accept their existence, but fuck this in the terrible idea asshole.

MacGuffin

Pierre Morel to direct 'Dune'

Pierre Morel has signed a deal to direct "Dune," Paramount's adaptation of Frank Herbert's science fiction novel.

Kevin Misher is producing the adaptation, which he set up at Paramount back in May 2008 after a year of pursuing the rights from Herbert's estate.

Pete Berg was attached to helm but left the director's chair to take command of "Battleship" for Universal, for whom he will also make "Lone Survivor."

Herbert's "Dune" was an epic futuristic tale set on a desert planet named Arrakis, which produces a spice called Melange, a source for space travel. The book, which explored the many fiefdoms and families vying for control of the natural resource, became a best-seller and an awards-winner in 1965 and helped launched a series that his son and author Kevin J. Anderson continued after Herbert's death in 1986.

David Lynch helmed a previous adaptation, which was released by Universal in 1984. The movie didn't find success on the domestic front, neither critically nor financially, though was well-received abroad.

Paramount is undertaking a search for a writer to pen the new adaptation.

Morel, who has several projects in development around town since the release of his hit "Taken," is repped by WME Entertainment.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pas

Quote from: MacGuffin on January 04, 2010, 09:02:22 PM
Pierre Morel has signed a deal to direct "Dune," Paramount's adaptation of Frank Herbert's science fiction novel. [...] Morel is repped by WME Entertainment.

Wow if a wrestler plays Paul Atreides the ironic crowd will have a good meal there.

polkablues

Hipsterdog hasn't read Dune, but he carries a copy around with him wherever he goes.

RegularKarate

HA!

That dog is too genuinely happy to be a hipster.  I love him.

MacGuffin

Warner Bros. to Remake Mr. Vengeance
Source: Variety

Variety reports that Warner Bros. Pictures has acquired remake rights to Chan-wook Park's Korean film Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance. Brian Tucker (Broken City) will write the script.

In the film, the women two different men love most are murdered, and the men set out on violent quests to punish those responsible. Trouble is, they themselves are the ones responsible and only one of them will have vengeance.

The movie will be produced by Lorenzo di Bonaventura and Mark Vahradian at di Bonaventura Pictures; CJ Entertainment's Miky Lee and Ted Kim; and Room 101's Steven Schneider (Paranormal Activity).

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Fox Developing Daredevil Reboot
Source:Deadline Hollywood

In order to keep the movie rights to Marvel Comics' "Daredevil" under their belt, 20th Century Fox and Regency are looking to develop a reboot of the sightless superhero with News Corp VP Peter Chernin producing and David Scarpa (The Day the Earth Stood Still) writing a script, according to Mike Fleming at Deadline Hollywood.

The original movie directed by Mark Steven Johnson and starring Ben Affleck in the title role (and his current wife Jennifer Garner as Elektra) was released almost exactly seven years ago and grossed $179.2 million worldwide.

This probably shouldn't come as too big a surprise as there has been talk of some sort of reboot ever since Disney bought Marvel last year, but this is the first confirmation that one is being actively developed.

Skeleton FilmWorks