not the most popular thread anymore, donnie darko and homos.

Started by SubstanceD, February 18, 2003, 07:02:07 PM

SubstanceD

Is it just me, or does anyone else think that Donnie Darko is overrated and sloppy.  Sloppy and without substance? I have a really hard time with this movie because each individual scene is great, I really feel this, but when put together the movie lacks coherency, which is not neccesarilly a bad thing, but when the moron director spews BS all over the commentary trying to explain the BEAUTIFUL mess of a movie he's made, he completely ruins his own picture.  Am I the only one. Talk back. I'm curious.
Stubborn as a thousand born agains avoiding questions.

Rudie Obias

i somewhat agree with you about DONNIE DARKO but i still really like it.  richard kelly shows so much promise as a director and i'm very much looking forwad to seeing his next film.  i mean c'mon, tears for fears' madworld!  it's such a great song.  so i really like DONNIE DARKO.

if you wanna talk about overrated movies, let's talk about fuckin' THE USUAL SUSPECTS.  That movie is just an ending and once you've seen it once there's no real point in seeing it again.  damn what a bad movie.  fuckin' bryan singer.  then he follows it up by ruining X-MEN.  fuck that guy.  at least DONNIE DARKO need @ least 3 or 4 viewings before gaining an opinion.

my 2 cents.....
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

Duck Sauce

Donnie Darko might not be one of the best made films, or full of substance, but I still thought it was cool.And rudieob, finally somebody who agrees with me about the usual suspects

Xixax

I'm about ready to kick all of your asses.

Do not blaspheme the name of Darko.

This movie is is a gem. Beautiful, deep, funny when appropriate and genius.

To me, it doesn't get much better than Donnie Darko. It just doesn't.
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

Ghostboy

I really liked Donnie Darko, but I agree that it has some substantial flaws. Also, this is just a pet peeve, but I was really disappointed with how Love Will Tear us apart was used...I just really love Joy Division and I didn't think the song was utilized very well.

When considering its problems, though, you have to consider its scope. Kelly may have been reaching too far, but what does work in the movie works really well.

Ernie

Quote from: rudieobi somewhat agree with you about DONNIE DARKO but i still really like it.  richard kelly shows so much promise as a director and i'm very much looking forwad to seeing his next film.  i mean c'mon, tears for fears' madworld!  it's such a great song.  so i really like DONNIE DARKO.

if you wanna talk about overrated movies, let's talk about fuckin' THE USUAL SUSPECTS.  That movie is just an ending and once you've seen it once there's no real point in seeing it again.  damn what a bad movie.  fuckin' bryan singer.  then he follows it up by ruining X-MEN.  fuck that guy.  at least DONNIE DARKO need @ least 3 or 4 viewings before gaining an opinion.

my 2 cents.....

Couldn't gree with you more on every single thing you said man. Fuck The Usual Suspects and Bryan Singer, definitely one of the most overrated movies of all time and definitely a movie with zero replay value.

Cecil

well maybe you may think its overrated (i dont think it is though) but garbage?

Raikus

QuoteIs it just me, or does anyone else think that Donnie Darko is overrated and sloppy. Sloppy and without substance?

Exactly who is supplying you people with the bad crack? To say Donnie Darko lacked substance is like saying Washington lacks hipocrites. Lay off the bad shit and get yourselves new dealers.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Gold Trumpet

donnie darko is not garbage, but yet it is overrated. Also, thank god for someone saying praise for the return of Tears for Fear to movies. Great voices that made some great pop songs. Dennis Miller show was worth watching because it guranteed you heard "Everybody Wants to Rule The World". sad though they couldn't make a video worth shit, but most couldn't back then.

usual suspects is pure garbage though. a terrible film that was believed to be great through its ending, even though that had nothing to do with the rest of film which was just a violent movie and nothing else.

~rougerum

MacGuffin

What bugged me was the "Hey, look at me, I'm directing" shots - the opening and the school hallway one scored to "Head Over Heels". Using those long, slo-mo stedi-cam shots (along with the sped up, time lapse ones) really did nothing to convey any story points. They were just there for a first time director to show his 'style' (that he stole from someone else) and because he liked the song and wanted to stretch it out. As cliched as using the dolly/zoom shot made famous in Jaws.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Cecil

Quote from: MacGuffinthe opening and the school hallway one scored to "Head Over Heels."

i disagree. without any dialogue and in little time we are introduced to several characters and understand their relationships and whats going on with them (barrymore and dr. carter, that evil woman introducing the self help guy to the principal, whos oblivious to the fact that hes just walked passed a kid doing coke...)

Rudie Obias

Quote from: MacGuffinWhat bugged me was the "Hey, look at me, I'm directing" shots - the opening and the school hallway one scored to "Head Over Heels." Using those long, slo-mo stedi-cam shots really did nothing to convey any story points. They were just there for a first time director to show his 'style' (that he stole from someone else), just like using the cliched dolly/zoom shot.

i really liked this scene.  its one of the best parts in DONNIE DARKO.  it introduced all the school characters in one scene.  my only problem with it was it wasn't one long take.  kinda like the beginning of BOOGIE NIGHTS but not as impressive.
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

MacGuffin

Oh, I didn't know turning a leaf blower in a girl's face in slow motion was a character introduction.

You could have cut out these shots and not lost a thing.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Cecil

Quote from: MacGuffinOh, I didn't know turning a leaf blower in a girl's face in slow motion was a character introduction.

You could have cut out these shots and not lost a thing.

of course you wouldve lost something.

MacGuffin

Quote from: cecil b. dementedof course you wouldve lost something.

What in the overall story would you have lost?

Skeleton FilmWorks