Best export for FCP

Started by metroshane, August 11, 2004, 04:27:10 PM

metroshane

Ok, so I normally export as a quicktime movie (48 ntsc) when I want to burn a dvd.  But in reading the rules for submission for Sundance...it says specifically that you must format your dvd in some other codec (such as MP4) other than quicktime.  

Can someone explain the specifics?
We live in an age that reads too much to be intelligent and thinks too much to be beautiful.

Ghostboy

Basically, what they're saying is that you need to export in an MPEG format that will be read by a standard DVD player. So if you're using DVD Studio Pro, or something like that, you'd export as an MPEG 2 (with corresponding AIFF files). If you're making your DVD with iMovie, you just export as a Quicktime file and then iMovie converts it for you. As long as it will play on their DVD player (like the rules suggest, try the disc out in several players just for safety), you're fine.

metroshane

We live in an age that reads too much to be intelligent and thinks too much to be beautiful.

Jeremy Blackman

Can't you just export it as DV file?

metroshane

You can print to tape, but then you run the risk of dropping frames.  The only way to export for DVD is via the quicktime utility.  Once you choose to export via quicktime...then you choose the presets under that category.

Jeremy Blackman

If you're worried about dropping frames, just choose the abort on frame drop option. But since you can export your FCP movie as a DV file, can't you just import that into DVD Studio Pro? I know you can do that with iDVD.

Ghostboy

iDVD does all the encoding for you -- with DVD Studio Pro, you have to create the encoded video and audio files yourself. Which is good, since you can do the bitrate adjustments and make sure everything's optimized  to your liking.

I've noticed that printing out long movies -- like feature length -- sometimes results in dropped frames too. I always make sure I have the abort option turned on when I'm printing to tape, but when you've made it eighty five minutes into a feature and a frame drops, it gets frustrating. Thank goodness for DVD.

metroshane

You can't export as a "dv file".  When you export to tape, you basically let it run while your deck records it.  If I read the manual correctly, you still drop frames, the only thing you are turning off is the warning.  

I've also noticed that my music isn't as clean as I'd like it when I export to dvd...btw I'm just using idvd right now.

Shane

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: metroshaneYou can't export as a "dv file".
What version are you using? You can export to a DV file in FCP 4.

File > Export > using Quicktime conversion > DV stream

Ghostboy

Quote from: metroshaneThe only way to export for DVD is via the quicktime utility

Quote from: Jeremy Blackmanusing Quicktime conversion

You guys are talking about different aspects of the same thing.

Jeremy Blackman

I just fell in love with DVD Studio Pro. It's just like Final Cut Pro... you have an epiphany and everything makes complete sense.

I think iDVD is actually harder to use, because you can't really do anything and you get stuck when you try.