The thread where you embarass yourself with movies you've never seen

Started by Pas, April 28, 2010, 12:17:01 PM

Pas

I have to call bullshit on the people who claim to have seen everything from everyone or didn't turn off a single great classic.

I'd like to see Samsong's list... a weird omission from him would be quite interesting since he knows his shit so much.

Pubrick

i haven't seen everything by everyone, obviously, not even samsong has done that.. not even mac or silias have cos no one has the time to watch that many movies. but as for turning off classics that's a different thread. anyone who's ever tried to watch all the essential silent dramas knows that feeling.

just this year i managed to make it through Jean Vigo's entire feature filmography (TWO FILMS) and it took me a whole week, i'm not kidding. two films, 3hrs., a week of stopping it cos i got tired or i lost the point or it wasn't giving me butterflies.. i eventually saw each film twice, once in parts and once without stopping. same goes for Bresson's later films.. i've told the story before of when i tried to watch L'Argent and i fell asleep, but it was so short i immediately watched it again and totally stayed awake the whole time! good thing cos i later used the final shot as one of my avs..

point is at least i tried, that's a different thread, "ppl who tried to watch all the great films in order to be conversant with other freaks here on the impression that everyone on xixax was a hardcore cinephile".. i never thought that tho. i just assumed everyone had at least watched The SHiNiNG and Eyes Wide Shut.

half my posts mean nothing to you! (and polky)
under the paving stones.

polkablues

To be fair, I have finally seen Shining, and I saw almost half of EWS. So I can follow about 72% of everything you talk about.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Pas

Quote from: polkablues on April 30, 2010, 12:02:09 PM
To be fair, I have finally seen Shining, and I saw almost half of EWS. So I can follow about 72% of everything you talk about.

I've seen EWS (for the boobies at first when it first aired on TV in 2001-2002, than for real a couple months ago). There's a really boring scene in it when Nicole Kidman is stoned and talks shit about women and sex and stuff. That speech is so 1999. I loved the characters of the piano player and the crazy Sobiesky-dad. I really like Tom Cruise so of course he was good in that.

I still prefer Lost Highway, however sacrilegious that might sound. Oh, yeah, I'm just mentioning that movie to get some heat off me and some on you, Polks.

The Perineum Falcon

Perhaps my post defeated itself, I dunno. It was typed in good humour, and I wasn't trying to sound better than anyone on here, by any means. Meant to be a playful poke in the ribs, that's all, along with a grateful appreciation of Xixax; it could've come out better, I admit.

I love this thread, I just wish that I could participate in it more, instead of making posts like this (which will be ceased). :roll:

This one's for GT: uh, I can't recall a good Oliver Stone movie I've seen (and there hasn't been many of them)? :)
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Alexandro

Quote from: Pas on April 30, 2010, 12:13:18 PM

There's a really boring scene in it when Nicole Kidman is stoned and talks shit about women and sex and stuff. That speech is so 1999.

Yeah, you obviously saw it. Reminds me of the woody allen quote "I read War & Peace, is about Russia".

Pas

Quote from: Alexandro on April 30, 2010, 12:43:58 PM
Quote from: Pas on April 30, 2010, 12:13:18 PM

There's a really boring scene in it when Nicole Kidman is stoned and talks shit about women and sex and stuff. That speech is so 1999.

Yeah, you obviously saw it. Reminds me of the woody allen quote "I read War & Peace, is about Russia".

Hahaha yeah but I saw it though

Fernando

^^ there's nothing boring about it!  :yabbse-angry:

and yo falcon, I took you're post as you intended it, it surprises me that pas being a funny guy took it so seriously.

Pas

Quote from: Fernando on April 30, 2010, 02:18:16 PM
^^ there's nothing boring about it!  :yabbse-angry:

and yo falcon, I took you're post as you intended it, it surprises me that pas being a funny guy took it so seriously.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the boring part because I thought it was boring and bland. First, it's almost 9 minutes long. She accuses him of not fucking two hot models "only out of consideration for her, not because he doesn't want to!" Oh my god, she really got him there! What an asshole, wanting to fuck two hot young girls if the wife didn't mind.

Oh but the worst part, when they talk about the patients at Cruise's office and she starts talking in baby voice. Will you shut the fuck up, bitch. On every argument she is owned by Cruise and yet you feel a bit like the movie wants you to think she's right or something, that what she says is somehow valid or interesting. It's not.

Other than that, good movie, good mystery etc.

As for Falcon, what's the beef man! I didn't take nothing "so seriously", just called bullshit on your little "I have seen everything" routine :P  No biggie!

edit: P's gonna stomp on my balls for this post haha

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: The Perineum Falcon on April 30, 2010, 12:35:32 PM
This one's for GT: uh, I can't recall a good Oliver Stone movie I've seen (and there hasn't been many of them)? :)

Thanks for the useless comment.

RegularKarate

Wow, just got here.
Some big reveals... I'm surprised about Jaws.  That's a HUGE one to me.  That needs more calling out!

GT, fucking drop it with your "thanks for the useless comment" bullshit.  It's your least flattering trait.  If you're so goddamned high and mighty about people having to explain reasons for not liking a movie, don't read it, just ignore it.
I like you, buddy, you can just be a buzzkill with that griping.  We get the point, you explain everything.

I love this thread, but it's pointless to say "I never saw Back to the Future 2 because I didn't like the first one"... not seeing the first one is the big deal.

There are a bajillion movies I could put here, but these are the ones that come to mind:

Lawrence of Arabia (rented it twice, never watched it)
Fast Times at Ridgemont High

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: RegularKarate on April 30, 2010, 05:53:33 PM
GT, fucking drop it with your "thanks for the useless comment" bullshit.  It's your least flattering trait.  If you're so goddamned high and mighty about people having to explain reasons for not liking a movie, don't read it, just ignore it.
I like you, buddy, you can just be a buzzkill with that griping.  We get the point, you explain everything.

Like I give a shit. Usually I try to keep any sour points of my personality to responses when I feel jabs are leveled my way. I could be misinterpreting the original comment (and if I did, I do apologize to Falcon) but it seemed to be a jab since it was a slam against Stone in my face where no real response could be brought back against it. My pet peeve is when someone feels like they can just slam a filmmaker in three words and walk off like they are better for it. I usually don't care when someone attacks Stone in general. It happens often but when it's needlessly flaunted in front of me, then sure, a little poke back is in order and it isn't like I really attacked him anyways. It seems like it is just a response which got you to finally react, but everyone here acts arrogant and ridiculous in their own way.

I also don't think I am better for explaining myself. I just want to know what people think about something. I think it's owed. If you want to make a big deal about this, fine. And if you think I am making a big deal about this by writing a little about it, then you don't understand at all anyways.

Pubrick

Quote from: Gold Trumpet on April 30, 2010, 06:19:29 PM
I could be misinterpreting the original comment (and if I did, I do apologize to Falcon)

i think you did. poor guy was just doing what everyone else has done in the context of this thread.. he tried to palm off focus on him onto someone else with a lighthearted humorous jab. that's all it was.

this kind of misjudging of tone has been rampant in this thread. i think because some ppl took a while to catch on to the unique atmosphere of the conversation. from the beginning it appealed to our pride but at the same time required a certain level of wounded ego to continue. the admission by all that we're not as well-read as we'd like grants us the permission to then jokingly attack another in a NON-SERIOUS way cos the major point of the thread is, as pas put it, that we all live in a glass house -- but it's still fun to throw pebbles.

your anger at falcon's comment in any other conversation would be justified. here it seems a bit.. unsposrtsmanlike.
under the paving stones.

Gold Trumpet

Falcon and I are good. We talked it over and I told him after I posted the message, I thought about it and figured it was just good joshing. Just by then there was a reply so it became something else. I hope no hard feelings to anyone (including RK) and we can just move on. My regrets for the original message.

Alexandro

Quote from: Pas on April 30, 2010, 11:45:53 AM
I have to call bullshit on the people who claim to have seen everything from everyone or didn't turn off a single great classic.

I'd like to see Samsong's list... a weird omission from him would be quite interesting since he knows his shit so much.

Well, when I was like 16 I remember feeling weird about turning off Braveheart because it bored me. I saw it complete the next day and it bored me again. I have seen it two times since, it's not really boring, but I guess I was expecting too much of it because of the oscars and whatnot. Of course Braveheart, not seeing it or liking it is nothing to be ashamed of unless you are a 62 year old retired professional wrestler or something.

Other than that...well, its hard because I just never turn off anything even if it's painful to watch. I know I had a hard time enduring Metropolis the first time i saw it.  L'Eclisse and Persona are two movies I ADORE which I barely watched complete the first time around, but a lot of these "hard" movies had a double effect on me. 8 1/2, Ran, Persona, LÉclisse, onibaba, many many movies felt like homework the first time but at the same time it was like some spell on me. In many ways it was a repetition of the first time I saw 2001 and understood absolutely NOTHING of what was going on, yet it was impossible for me to stop watching or rewatch at any chance. trying to be analytical about it I guess it's some kind of humble attitude towards film. I don't know, it happens without you noticing it. I saw 8 1/2 at 18 or something and couldn't find one single thing to say about it, but it just never left my mind, for years. I remembered entire scenes very vividly without being able to contextualize them. The I saw it again a few years later and it just connected with me. Many of these classics are not instantly enjoyable rides.

Mostly with silent films it can be hard, but then in the last 12 months I feel I've been rediscovering or finding a way to watch silent films and actually enjoy them more than normal films. I think it's all part of an evolution you have as a viewer, you go through phases or you start getting more and more easy going about venturing into anything with an open mind.

Something that I feel happens when you actually see a lot of films is that the more films you see the more films you like. this goes against the general perception of the film geek being extremely selective about liking things but I just have experienced the opposite. Yet it becomes harder to simply and blindly LOVE a film like before, you find good things AND bad things in everything.