Top Ten Films of the 1980s

Started by life_boy, May 27, 2005, 05:00:08 PM

cowboykurtis

wheres the love for roger rabbit and full metal jacket?
...your excuses are your own...

w/o horse

Quote from: SHAFTRPurple Rain

Haha, awesome pick.

I forgot about The Elephant Man but I'm not going to edit.  Just imagine it somewhere on my list.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

Thrindle

Quote from: life_boyAlthough many consider it the worst decade for American cinema...
Puhleeeze...  :-D  :-D  :-D

Sixteen Candles
Pretty in Pink
Ghostbusters
Say Anything
Dirty Dancing
The Lost Boys
The Goonies
The Princess Bride
Labrynth
Die Hard

Edit:  FAST TIMES AT RIDGEMONT HIGH!
Classic.

Gamblour.

BAHHH! So many good movies I forgot. And looking over these lists, I've realized the 80s might be the worst decade for what every other decade houses as "great cinema" or arty/intellectual whatever. BUT this decade is by far the best for comedies. Planes Trains Automobiles, Stripes, Ghostbusters, Big, Spinal Tap, When Harry Met Sally, Fast Times, Airplane!, Lost in America. Basically this decade was run by Harold Ramis, Rob Reiner, Albert Brooks, John Landis, Zuckers, and John Hughes. I think it's interesting that this decade produced the most and best comedies more than any other decade. I think that's why it's "the worst"--the part of your brain that recognizes "best" isn't the same part that recognizes "those aren't pillows!"

And lifeboy, I meant "for" when I said it. It's a flick made to watch in English class in high school.

Also, I find it incredibly interesting that no one has Blade Runner.
WWPTAD?

Just Withnail

Quote from: themodernage021. Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
Quote from: ®edlum1.Back to the Future

Those tie for my number one.

Weak2ndAct

Blue Velvet
The Blues Brothers
Brazil
Crimes and Misdemeanors
Do the Right Thing
Full Metal Jacket
Planes, Trains, and Automobiles
Raging Bull
Secret Honor
Videodrome

I tried to mix preference with what I think is the best in one batch, excluding multiple flicks for the same director-- on that note, I find it interesting that as much as I think film as a whole took a step back in the 80's, many of the films on this list are my favorites by the respective directors.  Go figure.

Stefen

Quote from: Gamblor Posts DrunkBAHHH! So many good movies I forgot. And looking over these lists, I've realized the 80s might be the worst decade for what every other decade houses as "great cinema" or arty/intellectual whatever. BUT this decade is by far the best for comedies. Planes Trains Automobiles, Stripes, Ghostbusters, Big, Spinal Tap, When Harry Met Sally, Fast Times, Airplane!, Lost in America. Basically this decade was run by Harold Ramis, Rob Reiner, Albert Brooks, John Landis, Zuckers, and John Hughes. I think it's interesting that this decade produced the most and best comedies more than any other decade. I think that's why it's "the worst"--the part of your brain that recognizes "best" isn't the same part that recognizes "those aren't pillows!"

:yabbse-thumbup:
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

MacGuffin

MacGuffin's Top Eleven 80's Movies Not Mentioned So Far (in alphabetical order)

1.) The Breakfast Club
2.) Broadcast News
3.) The Fabulous Baker Boys
4.) Field Of Dreams
5.) Hoosiers
6.) The Last Temptation Of Christ
7.) The Little Mermaid
8.) My Left Foot
9.) Ran
10.) Tucker: The Man And His Dream
11.) Witness
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

brockly

1. The Empire Strikes Back
2. Raging Bull
3. My Neighbour Totoro
4. Do the Right Thing
5. The Shining
6. Raising Arizona
7. Back to the Future
8. The Blues Brothers
9. Full Metal Jacket
10. Kiki's Delivery Service

runners up:
E.T.
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Winds
This is Spinal Tap!
Brazil
An American Werewolf in London
Ran

life_boy

Top 10 Films of the 1980's[/b]
(as of May 29, 2005) Expect updates.

1.  E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial (Steven Spielberg, 1982)
2.  Raging Bull (Martin Scorsese, 1980)
3.  Ghostbusters (Ivan Reitman, 1984)
4.  Blade Runner (Ridley Scott, 1982)
5.  Full Metal Jacket (Stanley Kubrick, 1987)
6.  Koyaanisqatsi (Godfrey Reggio, 1983)
7.  Say Anything (Cameron Crowe, 1989)
8.  Raiders of the Lost Ark (Steven Spielberg, 1981)
9.  Roger & Me (Michael Moore, 1989)
10.  Who Framed Roger Rabbit? (Robert Zemeckis, 1988)

Followed Closely By:
11.  Pee-Wee's Big Adventure (Tim Burton, 1985)
12.  The Unbearable Lightness of Being (Philip Kaufman, 1988)
13.  Atlantic City (Louis Malle, 1981)
14.  Do the Right Thing (Spike Lee, 1989)
15.  Die Hard (John McTiernan, 1988)

brockly

forgot about grave of the fireflies and beetle juice  :(

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: brocklyforgot about grave of the fireflies and beetle juice  :(

And, for some reason, you didn't forget about Kiki's Delivery Service.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

brockly

Quote from: Walrus¥¥¥
Quote from: brocklyforgot about grave of the fireflies and beetle juice  :(

And, for some reason, you didn't forget about Kiki's Delivery Service.

well, i actually like kiki's more than both of those, so whatever. my list stays as is but most of the runners up mentioned shouldnt be there without the acknowledgement of fireflies and beetle juice.

SiliasRuby

The Shining
The Breakfast Club
Raging Bull
Blue Velvet
Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
Ghostbusters
The Big Chill
Videodrome
Crimes and Misdemeanors
Brazil
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Redlum

I forgot Flatliners!

Edit: Woah, that was 1990!? Theres quite a few movies that spillover into the 90's like that to bolster the start of that decade, like Slacker.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas