something. that is true but no one .admits..

Started by NEON MERCURY, October 23, 2003, 07:03:19 PM

NEON MERCURY

....out of all of the directors that have thier own forum

ONLY DAVID LYNCH'S FILMS ARE THE LEAST CRITICIZED BY FANS, CRITICS, MEDIA, OR WHATEVER.   EVERY FILM THAT HE DIRECTED IS  GREAT TOO NEAR FLAWLESS.   HE IS THE BEST DIRECTOR POSSIBLY OUT THERE. HE IS WAY UNDER-RATED  AND NO ONE CAN SERIOUSLY  TALK SMACK ABOUT HIM.

SHAFTR

I really don't like Lynch.  His best effort behind Mulholland Dr was Straight Story, in my mind.

Blue Velvet is over-rated and Wild at Heart blew.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

cine

And to prove he's the least criticized of them, you had to post it in the Director's Forum for people to read it! :wink:

And for the record, I don't fancy him much either. I like some of his films but he is by far NOT the best of the bunch.

Banky

i think he is really good but he gets over praised by some for intentionally going over the audiences head

aclockworkjj

I have only seen the straight story, blue velvet, and lost highway....

I am not a huge fan...in fact...2 forums I may have never posted in...his and the Coen Brothers....Big Lebo is good...but not a huge fan.

Find Your Magali

The Straight Story is a sweet film. Dare I say, a near-perfect little film.

You can have the rest of the Lynch filmography. I'm not a fan.

But, then again, I love "Lucas" and "Con-Air," so who the hell am I?

ShanghaiOrange

Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

Weak2ndAct

Lynch is hands down my favorite director.  I love everything he's done (and yes, Dune, but in a Showgirls-bad kinda way... "The worms ARE the spice!"  :lol: ).  I started seeing his shit around the age of 11 and it seriously tripped me out.  

I don't really give a shit if people talk smack about him-- I'll be the first one to admit that at times his films aren't entirely *accessible*-- because the feelings I get watching his work is something so wonderful and amazing that well... it's just really inspiring.  I could gush all day.

I just wish he'd stop worrying about meditation and world peace and just make another damn movie!

SHAFTR

Quote from: Find Your MagaliThe Straight Story is a sweet film. Dare I say, a near-perfect little film.

You can have the rest of the Lynch filmography. I'm not a fan.

But, then again, I love "Lucas" and "Con-Air," so who the hell am I?

I met the screenwriter/editor/producer of that movie.  Well, I asked her questions in a Q&A.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Find Your Magali

Quote from: ShanghaiOrangeThe Elephant Man is awesome.

OK, I have to be honest and give props to that one, too.

That's two films. Dear heavens, am I a David Lynch fan?  :?

Weak2ndAct

Funny Lynch-related story: so I went to film school in NC.  Back in the day, Dino DeLaurentiis had a film studio down there and that's where they did Blue Velvet.  The movie got made basically b/c Dino 'owed' Lynch one after Dune-- see 'Lynch on Lynch' for the details.  

Anyhoo: after graduation, we had a class trip to LA and for one of our event-things, our graduating class went to Dino's house up in the hills for dinner/meet-and-greet since he's friendly to the NC film community.  The place is spectacular and has a massive patio that looks down into a canyon-- just awesome.  Dino spends the whole time sitting in a huge chair in front of a huge TV so he can watch the Lakers game.  Next to him is a phone with what looks like 100 different lines on it.

My classmates and I walk around the house and property drinking booze and eating tasty snacks.  Before dinner, Martha, Dino's producing partner and wife (who is A FOX), leads us to Dino and make us crowd around him.  She says we can 'ask the master anything.'  My comrades, being the boobs they are, can't think of anything to say.  I can't believe it, this guy produced Fellini movies!  So, I step forward and clear my throat...

I blurt out how Blue Velvet is my favorite movie and that it was so wonderful and daring that it inspired me to be a filmmaker (all true).  I go on and thank Dino for taking a chance on the film and how I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for him blah blah blah... and then I started to cry.  Not bad.  But it was obvious.  I immediately backed away and got more booze.

So after that, we had dinner and a good night.  After it was over, I headed for the door, and before I could leave, Martha grabbed me by the arm and stopped me.  She said "What you said was really touching.  Thank you, it meant a lot to Dino and I.  Next time I see David, I'll tell him what you said."  She gave me a hug, wished me the best in my career, and that's that.

bonanzataz

i love lynch. he is simply the best. better than all the rest. Better than anyone, anyone I've ever met. I'm stuck on his heart, and hang on every word he says. Tear us apart, baby I would rather be dead. i cannot believe that anybody can hate Wild at Heart. what a beautifully over the top movie.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

godardian

Quote from: bonanzatazi cannot believe that anybody can hate Wild at Heart. what a beautifully over the top movie.

You get it! YOU GET IT! The rest of these Lynch-ambivalent know-nothings can eat your dust. Seriously, I'm not even close to being sarcastic.

And I would add: If you're going to criticize David Lynch, or have mixed feelings about his work, because you feel it's "intentionally over the head" of the audience (I'd say they go straight into the human head, which is a murky, dreamy, semiotically warped thing that thrives on displacement of content, just like a Lynch movie), you'd better be ready to criticize Steven fucking Spielberg and his ilk for always "intentionally" presenting us a dull little plate with the meat already cut up for us.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Alethia