Class Action Park

Started by wilberfan, September 27, 2019, 03:24:52 PM

wilberfan

Instead of getting my hopes up too far for The Irishman, think I'll invest all that energy into this one instead.

https://youtu.be/c9TACAdTiCc

jenkins

i'm like extremely fascinated by the tone. i mean, you know, what a bullshit doc really, but that tone. it's just such a funny tone for a documentary about a water park. tone. tone

polkablues

Six people died, man. Shit's crazy.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Drenk

Now I want to direct the Boogie Nights of action parks.
Ascension.

jenkins

Quote from: polkablues on September 28, 2019, 01:44:56 PM
Six people died, man. Shit's crazy.

the deaths:

QuoteJuly 8, 1980: A 19-year-old park employee was riding the Alpine Slide when his car jumped the track and his head struck a rock, killing him.
July 24, 1982: A 15-year-old boy drowned in the Tidal Wave Pool.
August 1, 1982: A 27-year-old man from Long Island got out of his tipped kayak on the Kayak Experience to right it. While doing so, he stepped on a grate that was either in contact with, or came too close to, a section of live wiring for the underwater fans that somehow became exposed, and he suffered a severe electric shock, which sent him into cardiac arrest. Several other members of his family nearby were also injured. He was taken to a hospital in nearby Warwick, New York, where he died later of the shock-induced cardiac arrest. The park at first disputed that the electric current caused his death, saying there were no burns on his body, but the coroner responded that burns generally do not occur in a water-based electrocution. The ride was drained and closed for the investigation. Accounts differed as to the extent of the exposed wiring: the park said it was "just a nick", while others argued it was closer to 8 inches (20 cm). The state's Labor Department found that the fan was properly maintained and installed, and cleared the park of wrongdoing; however, it also said that the current had the possibility to cause bodily harm under certain circumstances. The park claimed it had been vindicated, although it never reopened the ride, saying that people would be afraid to go on it afterwards.
1984 (Date Unknown): A fatal heart attack suffered by one visitor was unofficially believed to have been triggered by the shock of the cold water in the pool beneath the Tarzan Swing. The water on the ride and in that swimming area was 50–60 °F (10–16 °C), while other water areas were in the 70–80 °F (21–27 °C) range more typical of swimming pools. The Tarzan Swing and the Cannonball ride in this area were operated by spring water.
August 27, 1984: A 20-year-old from Brooklyn drowned in the Tidal Wave Pool.
July 19, 1987: An 18-year-old drowned in the Tidal Wave Pool.

The Tidal Wave Pool:

QuoteThe first patron death occurred here in 1982; another visitor drowned in this common water-park attraction five years later. It was, however, the number of people the lifeguards saved from a similar fate that made this the only Waterworld attraction to gain its own nickname, "The Grave Pool". It was 100 feet (30 m) wide by 250 feet (76 m) long and could hold 500 to 1,000 people. Waves were generated for 20 minutes at a time with 10-minute intervals between them, and could reach as much as 40 inches (1.0 m) in height. It was not always obvious that pool depth increased as one got closer to the far end, and there were patrons who only remembered or realized that they could not swim when they were in over their heads and the waves were going full blast. Even those who could swim sometimes exhausted themselves, causing patrons to crowd the side ladders as the waves began, leading to many accidents. Twelve lifeguards were on duty at all times, and on high-traffic weekends they were known to rescue as many as 30 people, compared to the one or two the average lifeguard might make in a typical season at a pool or lake. Mountain Creek continues to operate this attraction as the "High Tide Wavepool" but made the pool much shallower.

another theme park for comparison, Playland:

QuoteDragon Coaster
In 1988, an 8-year-old girl choked to death while chewing gum on the ride.

Mind Scrambler
On May 22, 2004, a 7-year-old girl from New Rochelle was killed when she fell out of the ride after she opened her restraining bar.
On June 29, 2007, a 21-year-old female park employee from White Plains was killed when the ride was started by a second employee while the victim was still assisting guests with their safety restraints. Park officials stated that a safety precaution (put in place after the 2004 Mind Scrambler incident) was not followed. A report issued by the State's Labor Department on August 24, 2007, stated that the ride operators were running the ride improperly. The ride owner was cited for providing inadequate training. Due to this incident the Mind Scrambler was closed permanently.

The Whip
In the 1920s, a 19-year-old man was killed after being flung off The Whip.

Ye Old Mill
On August 3, 2005, a 7-year-old boy from Norwalk, Connecticut died of blunt force trauma to the head after he climbed out of a boat on the Ye Old Mill ride, where he became trapped underwater by a conveyor belt. The victim's family sued the county that owned Playland, and on March 24, 2009, the defendants were ordered to pay US$1.25 million, as well as create a scholarship in the victim's name. The scholarship will be awarded annually to Playland employees who exhibit excellence in safety and customer service.

Accidental drowning
On July 4, 2006, a 43-year-old woman from Queens drowned after walking into a man-made lake that is off-limits to swimmers. An autopsy showed the victim had a blood alcohol level seven times the legal limit.

wiki of course has a list of incidents at independent amusement parks. some of it is ultra tragic. i'm saying that Action Park is being sensationalized.