Conan's the man!

Started by ono, October 16, 2003, 11:38:17 PM

cine

Quote from: Myxo on October 08, 2009, 03:43:55 AM
I also miss announcer Joel Godard.

im okay without with him but i could also do without hearing andy's annoying laugh during the monologue.

Pozer

Conan out (completely?). Leno back in. discuss?

RegularKarate

Quote from: Pozer on January 07, 2010, 04:33:05 PM

RUMOR!

or not...

who knows... if not, fuck Jay, if so, Fuck Jay

polkablues

Here's the biggest problem I have with this.  Late-night shows are hugely reliant on the shows leading into them, much more so even than primetime shows.  When Leno was hosting the Tonight Show, he had the benefit of NBC's (for a time) strong lineup of 10:00 shows, such as ER, the Law & Orders, West Wing, Third Watch, and whatever else.  Conan, on the other hand, has as his lead-in every single night Jay Leno's black hole of shit, where both comedy and ratings go to die.  Late-night ratings are basically centered around people simply not bothering to turn off their TVs yet, and while Leno got to be background music for the 10 million people who watch a typical episode of Law & Order, Conan has to deal with the 3-4 million who watch Jay's 10:00 show every godforsaken night.  It's not an even playing field, and if Leno claws his way back to 11:00 because of it, it'll be bullshit.
My house, my rules, my coffee

MacGuffin

Quote from: RegularKarate on January 07, 2010, 05:23:40 PM
Quote from: Pozer on January 07, 2010, 04:33:05 PM

RUMOR!

or not...

who knows... if not, fuck Jay, if so, Fuck Jay

'Jay Leno Show' future uncertain
NBC considering moving the host to his former 11:35 p.m. slot
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Are Jay Leno's days in primetime numbered?

The future of NBC's "The Jay Leno Show" is in question as Web reports Thursday triggered all sorts of scenarios for the troubled program.

What is clear is that the network is reconsidering its commitment to Leno at 10 p.m., with moving him back to late-night being a credible option.

In such a scenario, Leno would return to 11:35 p.m. for a half-hour program, with Conan O'Brien and Jimmy Fallon shifting back a half-hour to 12:05 a.m. and 1:05 a.m., respectively. If he agrees to the plan, O'Brien would retain "the Tonight Show" name for his show.

TMZ first reported the possibility of a shift, saying the move will happen after next month's Winter Olympics, which pre-empt NBC's primetime programming for two weeks. NBC did not deny such a possibility.

But the time-period shift scenario would require NBC to fill five primetime hours very quickly.

The Peacock has ramped up development for next season with plans to order 18 pilots, including 10 dramas, but the new series would not be ready before summer. NBC also has several reality shows ready to roll, but such programs normally are designed to air from 8-10 p.m.

In any case, the rumors have roiled the industry: Eyebrows have been raised not only because NBC would be considering reversing its Leno plan but because it would be making such a drastic move in a few weeks. But looming for NBC is its Jan. 21 affiliate meeting, where it would face disgruntled station owners whose late newscasts were hit hard by the anemic "Leno" lead-in, and, in unfortunate timing, the network's Sunday session at the TV Critics Assn. press tour, where its top executives undoubtedly will be barraged with Leno questions.

Any change on "Leno" would represent an embarrassing about-face after NBC's numerous public statements pledging to give Leno months, even years, to grow into the slot; the net always emphasized that the show was a 52-week strategy.

The retreat also could represent a serious blow to NBC's executive leadership as its ownership shifts from GE to Comcast, especially since "Leno" impacted the network precisely as industry experts predicted -- and performed in its time period precisely as network execs repeatedly claimed that they anticipated, including in a statement Thursday morning.

That wasn't lost on Leno, who took a series of shots at NBC in his monologue Thursday night including, "What does NBC stand for -- never believe your contract?" He also suggested he might switch networks. "If we did get canceled, it will give us time to do some traveling," he said. "I understand that Fox is beautiful this time of year."

Some industry analysts and affiliate stations were downright elated by the news that the Peacock would shift the show out of its 10 p.m. slot.

"While NBC can be credited with a new approach to primetime programming, the ratings results were untenable not just for the network but for its partner affiliates," John Rash of Campbell Mithun said. "If the show is canceled, it's best to do it now in order to closely collaborate with the creative community to develop dramas for the 10 p.m. time slot as well as address the programming problems that now exist in late-night as well."

Bill Campbell of Katz TV stations added, "Stations have always believed that Jay Leno was best positioned in the 11:30 p.m. slot and would be happy to see a potentially stronger lead-in to their late local newscasts."

Thursday was rife with rampant Web speculation about the future of Leno and O'Brien following an early post on FTLive.com claiming that NBC was "pulling the plug" on Leno's primetime show and TMZ's subsequent time-shift story. That forced NBC to issue two statements, one denying that "Leno" was canceled but acknowledging that "it has presented some issues for our affiliates" and the other stating that the network brass "remain committed to keeping Conan O'Brien on NBC."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

modage

Quote from: MacGuffin on January 08, 2010, 12:36:53 AM
That wasn't lost on Leno, who took a series of shots at NBC in his monologue Thursday night including, "What does NBC stand for -- never believe your contract?" He also suggested he might switch networks. "If we did get canceled, it will give us time to do some traveling," he said. "I understand that Fox is beautiful this time of year."

Seriously, what a dick.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

tpfkabi

Someone tell me what is so bad about the Leno show?

Critics jumped on it immediately, but to me it's really no different than any late night show other than it's earlier time.

I guess I'm a weird late night viewer. I have no preference between hosts, I mostly just watch for interesting guests or musical artists.

I usually look at the Late Night TV schedule and if there are no interesting guests I watch something else.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Tictacbk

Quote from: bigideas on January 08, 2010, 02:21:27 PM
Someone tell me what is so bad about the Leno show?

For starters, its hosted by Jay Leno.

tpfkabi

for me they're really interchangeable (for reasons stated prior), but Ferguson does annoy me how you never know when they will run the starting credits to know who's on there.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Derek

So Leno basically wants the Tonight Show back but without a desk? Conan will quit. It's a shit move by NBC and how will Conan ever be able to really address it if he stays with the network?
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Derek on January 08, 2010, 06:39:10 PM
So Leno basically wants the Tonight Show back but without a desk? Conan will quit. It's a shit move by NBC and how will Conan ever be able to really address it if he stays with the network?

Conan will leave and Leno will be back in his original time slot and NBC will go back to making money late night.

Derek

Until Leno decides 'meh.....' again?

Leno played to the old guys, vanilla, no-too-out-there-for-late-night crowd which was fine. And maybe that group isn't willing to embrace O'Brien's sense of humor yet. Leno's sensebilities may be better for the short-run, but probably not the long run. He's already proven that. If he decides to pack it back in again in another year or two? Gonna approach Conan again? Because fallon sucks. He talks like he's not expelling air from his lungs, which has nothing to do with anything, but he's far too uptight for what he does.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Gold Trumpet

How is Leno not better for the long run? Finacially, he is because he was beating Letterman in ratings right until the end. Conan's major problem with stepping into Leno's role is that there was no continuation of humor styles between Leno and Conan. They are opposites. The Tonight Show crowd fell out of favor and haven't returned since. When Leno was replacing Carson, there was a drop off in audience ratings for a little while, but Leno was able to quickly regain Carson's audience because their comedy styles were very similar.

Conan just wasn't meant to mesh into the role. If anything, he would be better off replacing Letterman because their styles are more similar, but audiences need two hosts that offset each other to give everyone a choice. People want a Leno/Carson style host to pick as an option. O'Brien isn't that.

Derek

Leno's crowd has a shelf life. His audience finds Letterman too harsh and out there. Not to say he's not funny. But your grandparent's would probably watch Leno over Letterman, which leaves Conan totally in the dark.

Carson and Jay's style do overlap, explaining his stepping in for Carson many times during his Dorito years. I'd bet Conan has far more fans which will be watching the Tonight Show in five years, rather than Leno.

I'm not trying to say Leno's bad, but he hits the lowest common denominator audience. And who's to say he won't want to change his situation again in another year or two, after they've pissed off Conan?