Independent Spirit Awards

Started by BonBon85, March 14, 2003, 02:56:19 PM

BonBon85

I can't believe nobody's posted this...or they have and I didn't see it and am going to get a redirect and angry smileys.

BEST FEATURE

Far From Heaven
The Good Girl
Lovely & Amazing
Secretary
Tully

BEST FIRST FEATURE

The Dangerous Lives of Altar Boys - Peter Care
Interview with the Assassin - Neil Burger
Manito - Eric Eason
Paid In Full - Charles Stone III
Roger Dodger - Dylan Kidd

BEST FEMALE LEAD

Jennifer Aniston - The Good Girl
Maggie Gyllenhaal - Secretary
Catherine Keener - Lovely & Amazing
Julianne Moore - Far From Heaven
Parker Posey - Personal Velocity

BEST MALE LEAD

Graham Greene - Skins
Danny Huston - ivans xtc.
Derek Luke - Antwone Fisher
Jeremy Renner - Dahmer
Campbell Scott - Roger Dodger

JOHN CASSAVETES AWARD
Given to the best feature made for under $500,000

Charlotte Sometimes - Eric Byler
Dahmer - David Jacobson
ivans xtc. - Bernard Rose
Personal Velocity - Rebecca Miller
The Slaughter Rule - Alex Smith

BEST DIRECTOR

Joe Carnahan - Narc
Todd Haynes - Far From Heaven
Nicole Holofcener - Lovely & Amazing
Bernard Rose - ivans xtc.
Gus Van Sant - Gerry

BEST DEBUT PERFORMANCE

Bob Burrus - Tully
America Ferrera - Real Women Have Curves
Raven Goodwin - Lovely & Amazing
Artel Kayaru - Dahmer
Nia Vardalos - My Big Fat Greek Wedding

BEST SUPPORTING FEMALE

Viola Davis - Antwone Fisher
Jacqueline Kim - Charlotte Sometimes
Juliette Lewis - Hysterical Blindness
Emily Mortimer - Lovely & Amazing
Julianne Nicholson - Tully

BEST SUPPORTING MALE

Alan Arkin - Thirteen Conversations About One Thing
Ray Liotta - Narc
Dennis Quaid - Far From Heaven
John C. Reilly - The Good Girl
Peter Weller - ivans xtc.

BEST SCREENPLAY

The Good Girl - Mike White
Lovely & Amazing - Nicole Holofcener
Roger Dodger - Dylan Kidd
Thirteen Conversations About One Thing - Jill Sprecher and Karen Sprecher
Tully - Hilary Birmingham and Matt Drake

BEST FIRST SCREENPLAY

Hysterical Blindness - Laura Cahill
Igby Goes Down - Burr Steers
Interview with the Assassin - Neil Burger
Kissing Jessica Stein - Heather Juergensen and Jennifer Westfeldt
Secretary - Erin Cressida Wilson

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY

Far From Heaven - Edward Lachman
Gerry - Harris Savides
Interview with the Assassin - Richard Rutkowski
Narc - Alex Nepomniaschy
Personal Velocity - Ellen Kuras

BEST FOREIGN FILM

Bloody Sunday - Ireland
The Fast Runner (Atanarjuat) - Canada
The Piano Teacher (La Pianiste) - France
Time Out (L'Emploi du temps) - France
Y Tu Mamá También- Mexico

BEST DOCUMENTARY

Bowling for Columbine - Michael Moore
The Cockettes - Bill Weber and David Weissman
Devil's Playground - Lucy Walker
How to Draw a Bunny - John Walter
Stevie - Steve James

Xixax

Man I love watching these on IFC every year. It allows me to have a good diet of netflix fodder for the following year, and John Waters rocks as a host.

Not too shabby a deal considering they have it in a circus tent!
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

Ernie

I can't wait to see this...I've been following it for a couple years but I just got IFC and Sundance and all those cool channels this past year so this is the first time I'll actually be able to see the indy spirit awards and the sundance film festival coverage and the cannes film festival coverage...it's like heaven for me. This is going to be on very soon, yes? Like in a week or so, right?

Anyway, it's fucking great to see The Good Girl and Y Tu Mama Tambien up for some awards. They were definitely two of my favorite films of last year. I still really want to see Gerry (which is a 2003 film in my book) and Secretary, which I missed out on last year...it's been on my Netflix for awhile now.

Gold Trumpet

Just as disagreeable as the Oscar nominees.

I wonder if anyone knows the story while City of God was completely snubbed here too. Was it not eligible or just ignored>

*Wonders if the invaluable Mac will come to his aid*

and ebes, the award show is night before Oscars. Like March 22nd or 23rd or whatever.

~rougerum

MacGuffin

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetI wonder if anyone knows the story while City of God was completely snubbed here too. Was it not eligible or just ignored>

Submission Deadline: October 4, 2002.

It will probably be eligible for next year though since it was released in January of 2003.

Live Broadcast
Independent Film Channel (IFC)
Saturday, March 22, 2003 - 5:00 p.m. EST

Re-Broadcast
Bravo
Saturday, March 22, 2003 - 10:00 p.m. EST
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

BonBon85

It turned into exactly what I fear the Oscars will: an antiwar rally. It just got old. I think the best part of the show was when Brittany Murphy presented and butchered the title Dahmer. I don't know what was going on with her. Michael Moore gave a little speech, but it was actually one of the more tasteful of the anti war rants.

MacGuffin

"Far From Heaven" swept the Independent Spirit Awards on Saturday, gathering five awards, including best feature.

"Far from Heaven" also won honors for best director for Todd Haynes, female lead for Julianne Moore, male supporting lead for Dennis Quaid and cinematography.

The movie stars Moore as a wife whose picture-perfect domestic life crumbles after her husband begins an affair with another man and she has a dalliance with her black gardener.

The nonprofit Independent Feature Project/Los Angeles-presented awards honor movies that have been at least partially independently financed. Nominees are expected to have an original and provocative subject matter, been produced economically and show a "uniqueness of vision."

Director John Waters served as master of ceremonies, with actress Halle Berry as honorary chair. Elvis Costello performed live during the ceremonies, held in a tent on the Santa Monica beach.

A partial list of this year's Independent Spirit Award winners:

Best Feature: "Far from Heaven"
Best Director: Todd Haynes, "Far from Heaven"
Best Screenplay: Mike White, "The Good Girl"
Best First Feature: "The Dangerous Lives of Altar Boys"
Best Female Lead: Julianne Moore, "Far from Heaven"
Best Male Lead: Derek Luke, "Antwone Fisher"
Best Supporting Female: Emily Mortimer, "Lovely & Amazing"
Best Supporting Male: Dennis Quaid, "Far from Heaven"
Best Foreign Film: "Y Tu Mama Tambien"
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

©brad

didn't get to watch these because bbc sucks ass. nice to see far from heaven get some recognition.

MacGuffin

Quote from: BonBon85I think the best part of the show was when Brittany Murphy presented and butchered the title Dahmer. I don't know what was going on with her.

I thought the best part was Derek Luke's from the heart speech, giving the award to his wife who pushed him to keep going when things looked dim. And ended by saying, "Four years ago, I was waiting tables here at the Independent Spirit Awards."

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gold Trumpet

I just realized Gerry was released in 2003 nation wide and got nominated for these awards. City of God did the film festival tour and all in 2002, so any idea if it was actually just snubbed now?

~rougerum

MacGuffin

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetI just realized Gerry was released in 2003 nation wide and got nominated for these awards. City of God did the film festival tour and all in 2002, so any idea if it was actually just snubbed now?

~rougerum

In order to be eligible for consideration, submitted films must have shown at a commercial theater during the 2002 calendar year or have played at one of the following seven film festivals: Los Angeles Film Festival, New York, Seattle, Sundance, Telluride, Toronto or New Directors/New Films.

Gerry:
USA 12 January 2002 (Sundance Film Festival)  
Canada 6 September 2002 (Toronto Film Festival)

City Of God:
USA 31 August 2002 (Telluride Film Festival)
Canada 6 September 2002 (Toronto Film Festival)

Guess they just didn't find it worthy of a nomination then.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gold Trumpet

Like I said before Mac, you're an invaluable source. Thanks. Sad to see the Independent Spirit Awards which prides itself as being for the best indie movies couldn't even realize the importance and greatness of this movie through a nomination at all. I didn't think a win would have been necessary, but at least a nomination. I guess the oscars and indepedent spirit awards have more closer in common than just being a day apart.

~rougerum

bonanzataz

hooray for rebecca miller winning the cassavettes award. the job i have over the summer working as a PA on her new movie is starting to look definite. YIPPEE!
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls