the britcom look

Started by Born Under Punches, June 04, 2004, 08:44:01 PM

Born Under Punches

Anyone remember the old britcoms back in the 60s and 70s?  Shows like Faulty Towers, Are You Being Served?, and Doctor Who (not a comedy but a British show)?  All the old shows were done with video interiors and filmed exteriors.  

I was wondering if anyone had some specifications on both interiors and exteriors.  I'm guessing that the interiors were done on a precursor to Betacam and exteriors were done on 16mm with a spherical process, but I'm wondering about more than anything is the editing process done for those old shows.  Now I know it's not film or anything PTA-related, but if anyone has any insight into such matters, I'd really appreciate it.

pete

even seinfield was done like such I thought.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Ravi

Seinfeld was all 35mm.

Anyone know why those old shows usually had video interiors with film exteriors?  Did they not have batteries or a way to connect the video cameras to a power source outdoors?

Born Under Punches

I always figured it was on account of the interior cameras being immobile compared to film cameras.  That and most of the video stuff was geared to be edited live and printed to video for broadcast.

Recce

I would assume its because of all the colours outside that would look more dull if shot with video. But what the hell do I know, I barely know what you guys are talking about.
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")