the yes men

Started by pete, July 22, 2004, 10:27:34 PM

pete

I just came back from this documentary.  wow, 2004 is really the year for incendiary political documentaries.  this is a pretty funny documentary, directed and produced by the folks who did American Movie.  It's about these two dudes who impersonate WTO officials and go on MSNBC news shows, economic forums, lectures, amongst other events, as WTO officials to spew absolute nonsense, and all these economists and business people all buy them.  it was pretty funny.  But I saw it with this Cambridge, MA liberal crowd, full of middle-aged ladies who would applaud every anti-WTO sentiment in the movie, and cheer at times too.  And then after the movie was over they were all making these Bush jokes that were just lame.  I dunno, I mean, nothing against comfortable well-off middle-class people, 'cause I hope to be comfortable and well-off someday, but it was a little unsettling watching them all gather in one place, making fun of the other middle class people, when, to most of the rest of the world, or even the eyes of poor Americans, they belong to virtually the same class.  You know, the latte-drinking, SUV driving liberals that the neo-cons love to attack, I guess they actually exist.

But I stray, this is still a good movie, a really funny one.  Go see it.

http://www.theyesmen.org/movie/[/i]
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Ghostboy

I can't wait to see this. The Yes Men are totally awesome.

Jeremy Blackman

THE YES MEN STRIKE AGAIN!

This is wonderful... (and the far right Times article is hilarious on its own merits)...

P.S. You can also read the slightly more objective NY Times article.

Here's some history of their Dow Chemical stunts.

In other news, The Yes Men won the "audience award" at the International Documentary Film Festival (in Amsterdam).

Archifriend

I have yet to see this film but have heard a lot of buzz about from my son and daughter.  My son is friends with Sarah Price and Mike of the Yes Man stayed at my daughter's place in Chicago.