Dead Man's Shoes

Started by Garam, August 28, 2005, 10:20:33 AM

Garam

Anyone seen it? Anyone enjoy it?

I did. It certainly wasn't brilliant, but it was a good watch. Shane Meadows is a good director and Paddy Considine is very talented.

It was the first full-length film released by Warp. Here's the trailer if you haven't seen it or heard of it yet.

Good use of Aphex's Nannou 2 too.

Weak2ndAct

I've seen it, and I love it for many reasons:

- Paddy's performance is stellar.  His interaction with the cronies is perfect.  He's two steps ahead of them, so smart, yet totally insane.  It really works.
- The 'twist' is actually earned and makes sense.
- The humor.  The bad version of this movie wouldn't include the fun that Paddy has before the real madness plays out.  
- The ending.  Perfect.  

It's a shame that it hasn't gotten to the states yet.  A wonderful revenge flick.

gob

Beautiful film. Funny, horrible, moving. Top drawer.
Based on this and the similarly fantastic Shane Meadow's film that everyone should check out "A Room For Romeo Brass" Considine is one of the best actors around at the moment in my books.

Wasn't Dead Man's Shoes released recently in the US?

Redlum

Quote from: gob on July 11, 2006, 04:45:41 PM
film that everyone should check out "A Room For Romeo Brass"

word. An annoyingly overlooked gem of british cinema.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Pas

Saw this last month and I fucking loved it. As soon as they're in the pool room and Considine goes : ''YOU CUNT'' with the crazy face I knew I was in for a ride. But never would I have imagined that ride!

Definitely one of these movies that prompt a ''What would you do'' discussion afterwards.

I'm posting now because this weekend I was playing pool with a friend and he was staring at me blankly and I noticed what he was trying to do and ''got it'' so we played the scene out a bit. It was funny I guess, well we laughed but it seemed to annoy some people around.

squints

this really is a great flick.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche