The Walking Dead

Started by modage, July 22, 2010, 09:26:52 AM

polkablues

SPOILER ALERT OR WHATEVER

I was just thinking this show was overdue for an extraneous character massacre. There were way too many people in that camp whose names we didn't even know.

My house, my rules, my coffee

tpfkabi

Quote from: polkablues on November 22, 2010, 12:02:15 PM

I was just thinking this show was overdue for an extraneous character massacre. There were way too many people in that camp whose names we didn't even know.

What about the sister/lake scene - at the end you understand the purpose, so does that make it cheap?

Another question - do you think wife/bf affair was pre or only post zombie time?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

polkablues

Quote from: bigideas on November 22, 2010, 02:35:45 PM

What about the sister/lake scene - at the end you understand the purpose, so does that make it cheap?

I don't really understand the question.  Could you rephrase?

Another question - do you think wife/bf affair was pre or only post zombie time?

It seems fairly evident that it didn't start until after she thought (he told her) that Rick was dead.  Shane knew they were going through a rough patch from his prior talks with Rick, and once the shit hit the fan he was able to take advantage.

tpfkabi

Quote from: polkablues on November 22, 2010, 03:12:07 PM

I don't really understand the question.  Could you rephrase?

When I first watched it the long scene between the sisters seemed weird, but my many years of movie/tv watching should have told me something was going to happen to one of them. The idea of writing a scene to give the viewer feelings toward a character in order to make their loss greater. Of course, it could have a big impact on how the living sister handles an upcoming situation. I guess someone is going to have to off the sister in zombie form next episode.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

polkablues

I see what you're saying now. I feel like the purpose of the scene was sound, but it wouldn't have stuck out as much if it had been a better written scene. Or better acted. Or at the very least shorter.

socketlevel

Quote from: bigideas on November 22, 2010, 03:24:13 PM
but my many years of movie/tv watching should have told me something was going to happen to one of them. The idea of writing a scene to give the viewer feelings toward a character in order to make their loss greater. Of course, it could have a big impact on how the living sister handles an upcoming situation. I guess someone is going to have to off the sister in zombie form next episode.

i vastly agree with this, however both Mad Men and Breaking Bad have broken this rule, which is refreshing. In both shows there are flashbacks or lonely island scenes of unconnected character development that sometimes don't pay of literally, or if they do pay of directly, it's a little more eye opening. I think in the past this would be considered bad storytelling, that somehow connecting the scenes more to the plot is desired. Over time doing so has become the cliche and thus a slightly more disconnected plot is not only surprising but somehow feels satisfying. Considering both BB and MM are on AMC, I think there was a chance the lake scene could be isolated character development.

Even though while watching i thought the lake scene would pay off with something, i was still surprised with that ending. It's not like what they were talking about had anything to do with the conclusion. It was an emotional set up, that's it; it's not like it ruined plot, which would have sucked.

with that said, the writing of the lake scene and the scene when they arrive with the fish was poorly written and executed from the actors. i really like walking dead so far, but there are moments like this that separate it from the truly great shows in this golden age of television.
the one last hit that spent you...

polkablues

That's the conundrum of this show; I can't think of a previous instance where I liked a show as much despite so much consistently poor acting and sloppy writing.  The whole badass-gangsters/nursing-home-attendants switcheroo was a prime example.  The show has multi-faceted characters only in the sense that they change on a whim from transparently good to transparently bad and back again.   Subtlety is not on the menu.

modage

I'll agree with everyone here.  There is so much potential here but the show is just not living up to it.  It's entertaining and there are lots of great elements but definitely some missed opportunities keeping it from being "A" quality (like the pilot).
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Sleepless

Quote from: polkablues on November 23, 2010, 10:16:25 AM
I can't think of a previous instance where I liked a show as much despite so much consistently poor acting and sloppy writing.

Er... Lost?
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

modage

Quote from: Sleepless on November 24, 2010, 07:11:51 AM
Quote from: polkablues on November 23, 2010, 10:16:25 AM
I can't think of a previous instance where I liked a show as much despite so much consistently poor acting and sloppy writing.

Er... Lost?

Only towards the end!
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

polkablues

The difference is, you could never use the word "consistent" to describe Lost.

Gold Trumpet

"Walking Dead" Kills Its Writers

By Garth Franklin
Source: Dark Horizons

Despite the renewal for another season, "The Walking Dead" showrunner Frank Darabont has fired the entire writing staff of the AMC hit series reports Deadline.

Along with the scribes, writing executive producer Charles H. Eglee has been let go and Darabont is reportedly looking to assign scripts to freelancers rather than having a writing staff.

Darabont himself penned the first two episodes of the first season and polished the scripts for the other four - one of which came from the comic's creator and two from non-staff writers.

Acclaim for the pilot and second episode ran pretty high, but critical enthusiasm has slightly dropped off in subsequent weeks.

The freelance model is freely used in other countries or international co-productions such as the upcoming BBC/Starz continuation of the "Torchwood" franchise, but on a U.S.-based network series there is a question of unions and potential Writer's Guild infractions.

Darabont also has the issue of a much longer thirteen-episode second season.

modage

That's going to be a good idea.  Wondering if that includes Robert Kirkman though?

polkablues

I'd be okay with that.  His episode was one of the worst offenders.  This last episode was pretty fantastic, though.  It keeps my hopes up.

socketlevel

Quote from: polkablues on December 01, 2010, 11:02:17 AM
I'd be okay with that.  His episode was one of the worst offenders.  This last episode was pretty fantastic, though.  It keeps my hopes up.

***SPOILERS***

you know i did like the last episode, but what's the deal with killing off the best actor in the show. like seriously the guy digging the graves was so fucking good. I know he's not technically killed off but his role and plight is changed if they bring him back.

on a story note, what's the relevance of that character having a premonition/dream if they kill him off? who cares about the amount of holes to dig if they just do that the next episode.  it's not even the type of exposition/character development i mentioned in my previous post. it's motivated in the we-gotta-keep-it-exciting bullshit that shows do, and one way of doing that is by killing off characters. it's a reaction to the fact that characters were never killed off in television for years, but it's an overcompensation if you're building in some kind of precognitive ability in a character.

the episode, while very good, was balanced poorly. I honestly thought the episode was over then there was this tacked on scene involving a scientific/army facility. it should have ended with them driving into the distance, then introduced the facility next episode.

this show should move slower than it has been.

you know it's funny that's the major thing it has going for it, a slow epic zombie Apocalypse but then they randomly change up the scenario while keeping moments slow, it's lacking the focus the first couple episodes had. It should be focused and patient. too many red herrings.
the one last hit that spent you...