Jupiter Ascending

Started by MacGuffin, December 09, 2013, 11:21:05 PM

matt35mm

Quote from: modage on February 10, 2015, 07:56:29 AM
It's been 16 years since The Matrix, which, let's face it, was really their only GREAT movie (as directors) and a decade since V For Vendetta, the last really good movie they had anything to do with.

Serious question: have you seen SPEED RACER? That movie is legitimately wonderful. Frankly, it's the only movie of theirs that I really like. (I admire THE MATRIX and CLOUD ATLAS... haven't seen BOUND)

modage

I have but it was on Blu-ray and I could barely get through it. With its reputation I've been considering trying to give it another viewing, just at least for the aesthetic/visuals at least but my first viewing I could barely pay attention.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

samsong

jenkins

Quote from: modage on February 10, 2015, 10:20:21 AM
Ha, well in my defense it is February, typically the worst months of the year for studio releases (and I knew JA would be bad going in).
Quote from: modage on February 10, 2015, 01:36:32 PM
I have but it was on Blu-ray and I could barely get through it. With its reputation I've been considering trying to give it another viewing, just at least for the aesthetic/visuals at least but my first viewing I could barely pay attention.

i like you and i don't agree with you about like anything ever, so that's cool, i vaguely sense we each respect the other for liking movies, and i think you have sturdy person-to-person skills and that makes me think of you as a good person

that's my intro to saying: i think if you put your above statements next to your statements about inherent vice, a marvelous conversation could be started about "motivated reasoning" and "confirmation bias" and "disconfirmation bias" and "identity affirmation." got those traits myself, btw, i know i do, but i'm slippery since i operate without a fixed ideology in my homeland of movies. here's an article about what i mean

anyway, yeah, just not like it if you want to not like it. trust yourself because the world lies, if you ask me. my problem is your criticisms are framed with a certain intensity, and such intensities make me ruminative for a number of reasons, but let's just stay internet friends until we die and i'll get over it

RegularKarate