What are we reading?

Started by edison, September 21, 2003, 11:20:03 PM

Figure 8

Gold Trumpet

I hate posting in these threads, but this book is a true original. Tough read as well:

Let Us Now Praise Famous Men by James Agee and Walker Evans

Pubrick

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetI hate posting in these threads, but this book is a true original. Tough read as well
the result of avoiding threads like this is the added weight given to when u do post.

apparently no library in my city has the book but i did manage to find these pics: http://xroads.virginia.edu/~UG97/fsa/gallery.html

the good and bad thing about books is that they hav to be purchased, or borrowed.. they hav to be held in hand. even if u could steal them online it woudln't be worth it.
under the paving stones.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Pubrick
Quote from: The Gold TrumpetI hate posting in these threads, but this book is a true original. Tough read as well
the result of avoiding threads like this is the added weight given to when u do post.

apparently no library in my city has the book but i did manage to find these pics: http://xroads.virginia.edu/~UG97/fsa/gallery.html

The photographs are by Walker Evans. They encompass a good 80 pages of the beginning of the book. When James Agee is given reign to write about the three tenant families he stayed with, the first 100 pages is really poetry done to the form of a novel. Very lyrical and you can't just read it. You have to say every line out loud to digest the words.

I'm on the second part, which is over a hundred pages of description. Agee goes to brutal lengths to describe everything he sees, from detailing every area of the farm to listing all the items in the houses. He tries to encompass all the descriptions in sentences to get it to play like a regular book. Classification of the book is historical. Agee says he wanted to not be an artist but a recorder in the purist sense. He also was very much influenced by Joyce's Ulysses, which unlike any novel, tries to encompass as much in a day as humanely possible.

Also, there are interludes of pure poetry.

I'm trudging though, taking my time. Its hard not call this part difficult and almost unhappy reading. But when the book gets going, it really gets going. Its writing that is very intimidating.

killafilm

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

hedwig

hey i've got that one, too. what are your thoughts on it?

context, context, context.

Reinhold

Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

a book on the history of the  german design school and its downfall  thanks to the nazi regime. taschen commands  when it comes to this kind of books.
context, context, context.

hedwig

A Matter Of Chance

Reinhold

Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

grand theft sparrow

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye